Posted: Apr 16th 2009 10:10AM (Unverified) said

No. They ruined Fallout. I had high hopes for a game who's developers "loved the series" and instead got Oblivion with guns. Seriously, playing Fallout 3 was like listening to a joke being told by someone who knew the joke, knew it was funny, but didn't know why. Another way I've heard it put, it was like they put Fallout 1 and 2 in a blender, made a paste, and spread it over Oblivion and then expected us to eat it.

So, I don't think they should make Fallout Online. If they want to make their own crappy, humorless post-apocalyptic MMO, do it without destroying a great brand.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 11:39AM (Unverified) said

I just don't get you people, fallout 3 is reallt an awsome experience, and is the only game (imo) in the series worth playing, number 1 and 2 is pretty much boring, and no I don't just think that because they are old, the combat system is just not interesting.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 10:52AM Graill440 said

(insert name), Wouldnt it have been simpler and to the point to simply type you didnt care for the lack of a UO style third person top down view with fallout 1 esque mechanics?

WIth your beating around the bush gripe aside lets look at the sharks in the water.

So it seems "they" were waiting in the shadows knowing something was up. Blood is in the water, let's see who get's eaten.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 11:35AM NeoWolfen said

All I know is one or the other better make me a Fallout MMO or Ill be forced to get medieval on the pair of them :P

Fallout 3 that Bethesda gave us was very good and not oblivion with guns at all.. that is far too much of a generalisation. I have been a Fallout fan for years, I bought the first fallout on the first day of release and have followed the setting like a dependant crack addict ever since. I love it. And although the perspective of FO3 was different it still had the feel of Fallout. I enjoyed it immensely. Hell if they gave me an MMO that looked like FO3, with more races to play, areas to explore and vehicles etc.. id be very happy indeed.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 12:00PM Cendres said

I don't understand fans of the original games who hate Fallout 3 and Bethesda either. But that's because I've never played the original games, from what I understand the major gripe is that Fallout 3 does not faithfully follow up on Fallout 2, I mean many more people should be tribal by now but you don't see that in Fallout 3 other then a reference from the outcasts.

Anyhoo I'd trust Bethesda more on being able to deliver a good product and especially an MMO, they seem somewhat perfectly suited to that.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 12:11PM (Unverified) said

Wow, a fallout3 hater? Have you actually looked at fallout 1 or 2 lately? Seriously? I played it after I beat 3 just for kicks, I got about 4 hours in then realized it reminded me of pitfall graphically and deleted it. Fallout 3 is gorgeous, its FUN (denying this just makes you look like a asshat), and it's highly customizable. Some of the mods out their right now are absolutely awesome.

Now too the whole point of the article:
They should definitely sue them, the further they push back the release the further the game series gets pushed into the back of our collective gaming minds. If they release this in 6 years will anyone actually care by then? Pushing them to at least get started on the *()$%@ thing is a good idea so they can keep their IP active in our very limited attention spa.....er what was I talking about? OH a SHINY!

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 12:17PM Nadril said

I enjoyed playing it through but pretty much hated the storyline. Worst ending ever.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 12:24PM archipelagos said

The ending certainly ranks up there with the worst of the worst. It's so bad it's offensive.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 4:32PM (Unverified) said

I understand people who liked Fallout 3 and why they liked it. Yes, the gameplay is superior, but if you loved the first 2 Fallout games for the story and humor, Fallout 3 is a cheap knock-off at best.

As I said before, playing Fallout 3 is like listening to a joke told by someone who doesn't get the punchline. The dialogue and atmosphere of the first two games subtly hint at the '50s mentality of the end of civilization. Fallout 3 bashes you over the head with it.

The elements of the first 2 Fallout games are slathered all over every bite of Fallout 3 like way too much secret sauce on a hamburger. I mean, a GECK, Water Chips, the Nuke Cola Bottling Plant, Vault-Tec Main Offices, the Corvega Plant, all in the DC Metropolitan Area? And Three-Dog? Are you effing kidding me?

You leave the vault in Fallout 1 for a Water Chip. You leave your village in Fallout 2 for a Geck. Only incidentally do you save the wastelands from imminent doom in your quest for these things. In Fallout 3 you chase your father (how cliche...) and flee the Vault during the insurrection his absence causes and meet up with him to find that it was your family's destiny all along to save the wasteland with pure water. Oh, and by the way the Enclave is here and so is the Brotherhood of Steel and neither of them have changed since the end of the second game.

You are supposed to be able to be utterly villainous in Fallout 3, but you can't kill children. I do not endorse the murder of children, the Dakota kids aside, but hey, I also don't live in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, so maybe I might think differently if I were there.

Oh, and Cleaveresque cannibals and Vampires.

China and the US are at war. Who the hell named mutant bears after mythical Chinese forest spirits?

Oh, and for those who say that its not Oblivion with guns, if you got it for the PC the Oblivion cheats work for Fallout 3.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 4:09PM (Unverified) said

I believe the mutant bear thing is to insinuate that the chinese army brought them as a sort of bio-weapon. If the US was working with mutated humans as war machines, I'm sure the Chinese were doing something similar.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 6:10PM Cendres said

It's the same engine and same graphics with tweaks. If you want to say that qualifies it as Oblivion with guns then go ahead. Never mind it's a completely different theme.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 6:41PM karnisov said

i agree. fallout 3 writing is not up to the old black isle standards. cheap knock off sums it up nicely.

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 4:05PM (Unverified) said

Best news I've heard all year.

Interplay is the worst. Black Isle is dead and gone, and having some random person from the team doesn't mean that Black Isle is back together. A Fallout MMO from Interplay would be a sub 30 million dollar turd. Would you rather have a half assed MMO or one with real backing and real talent making it? It takes 3x that amount of money to have anything decently made these days.

Anyone saying Fallout3 is Oblivion with guns is being totally ridiculous. The skill system, advancement system, the only thing that's Oblivion like is that its in 3D. Do you really want a 2.5 D game or MMO for Fallout? Am I the only one that remembers there's diehard Fallout 1 fans that still hate Fallout 2? You realize Fallout 2 totally reversed several technological parts of Fallout? Well you guys hating Fallout 3 will be just as obscure in a year or so and yes you'll seem just as rediculous to the guys that love Fallout 1, 2 and 3, but somehow hate 4 when it comes.

I challenge any fan of Fallout 2 to get to The Citedel portion of Fallout 3 and not instantly get all nostalgic. Or for that matter a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 get to the Oasis and not get nostalgic either.

(NOTE: no offense to Masthead, I'm sure with the real backing from a company really able to do so, you'd do a decent job, but Interplay is not that kind of publisher)

Posted: Apr 16th 2009 4:37PM (Unverified) said

oh, there's another one. I guess Harold walked all the way from california to washington.

I agree, I think that a Black Isle Fallout MMO would suck. I just think that a Bethesda Fallout MMO would suck just as hard, for different reasons.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 4:23AM (Unverified) said

I would rather there be no bloody MMO and they kept making brilliant single player games instead.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 12:37PM (Unverified) said

I wish they could make a spectacular single player game and dump it into a just as spectacular MMO.

Posted: Apr 17th 2009 6:07PM (Unverified) said

I had a feeling this situation would get ugly when I first heard about it years ago.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014