Posted: Apr 14th 2009 9:27PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Did you hear that they are permanently banning people if they don't like your name? What a joke company this has become... 8 years to produce this... and they fail...

Just found this btw

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 11:44PM (Unverified) said

its awesome, actually.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 2:35AM HackJack said

Are you fking kidding me? I better never find myself one of these QQ kinds that posted on the thread you linked or I'll smash 'em to pulps.

PermaBan is the way to go. No need to be an asshat and go off with a "name change" if you knew from the beginning that you should've chose a decent name. Some people are so damn bigots.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 4:14AM (Unverified) said

Actually, I'm very happy they're taking a no nonsense stance on names that are chosen purely to make reporting and investigating difficult.

Bravo, AV!

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 9:21AM postman said

get your story right. the names they where banning where intentionally screwy names to mess with GMs like "iLiLiliLi"

"In 48 hours characters with names made in an effort to confuse GMs and other players, for example adding a string of lower cap L’s and upper case I’s (IlIlIIIl) in their names will start getting their host accounts permanently banned. If you have a character like that, delete him and make a new one with a proper name"

more companies need to take a hardass stance with their players. MMO gamers are snuddy assholes that think the world owes them something. i know becuase i am one.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:34PM (Unverified) said

Seems like the kind of thing they would do afterall they are the ones that made a unforgiving game so why not also be an unforgiving Dev.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:35PM (Unverified) said

Seems like the kind of thing they would do afterall they made a unforgiving game why not also be a unforgiving dev.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:35PM (Unverified) said

News like this only makes me want to play this game even more.

I started out disliking these guys, but everything I read about them gives me more respect for them.

For years the thing that has annoyed me about Blizzard is the way they let their players get away with anything, maybe a light slap on the wrist if they do something particularly despicable. The legit players have to put up with the griefers and cheaters because Bliz is too scared of scaring the little darlings off. Guys who purposefully come onto RP servers and make stupid names just to grief, well they get politely begged and pleaded with to stop and play nice. If Bliz simply put the smack down after the first time they did it, it would quickly stop and the word would get around.

Adventurine's zero tolerance policy should quickly root out the asshats, making it a much better environment for players who really do want to just play the game. The harder they come down on the idiots now, the less work they face in the future.

Blizzard GMs are still running around herding cats with the same problems they had 3 years ago, because the players know they can get away with just about anything. If they actually laid the smackdown on cheaters and griefers from the start, they could probably have reduced the amount of manpower they dedicate to it by half.

Nice going Adventurine. Consider me a convert.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 11:45PM (Unverified) said

/signed

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 8:27AM Angelworks said

I dunno - I think the penalty cone works pretty well. I know someone who used to swear in trade chat, one 48 hour suspension and he's cured of that - and Blizzard keeps his money.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:51PM Mr Angry said

Hahaha at the jerk off how named his character with I's and L's. Too bad if he doesn't like it, bout time MMO players got schooled in manners, etiquette and basic non douchebaggery. There were a bunch of barcode people in EQ2 and WoW, this is really no great loss to Darkfall.

+1 to Adventurine

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 3:07AM wufiavelli said

they never banned anyone for names. they only ban people if they were caught cheating. If you did have an annoying name that was used to fool your character was deleted.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 12:49AM Holgranth said

I personally think that Aventurine has NO WHERE near enough rescources for catching and banning the majority of hackers/exploters/bots/farmers.

Sure they get SOME but literally drops in the bucket I think the "Hardass" is a scare tactic more than anything else.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 2:04AM nomoredroids said

hahahaha. AV worried about alienating players? Pssssh.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 2:36AM wjowski said

It's like Aventurine went and made a bet with Flagship a few years back to see who can crash and burn the quickest and the hardest.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 4:09AM (Unverified) said

except Flagship went under because they got insanely huge loans to rush a game to market, then found themselves in a position where they weren't able to pay it back, unfortunately they put their game up as collateral lol

these darkfall guys havn't done that, and it looks like they're perfectly happy with a lower fan base... last I've read people are trying hard to find copies of the game, where as Hellgate couldn't be given away

shame really, Hellgate's world was the best new world created since Fallout IMO

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 4:41AM Temko said

I'm playing darkfall, and i can so very much agree with aventurine's statement. Darkfall is not an easy game. it's harsh, grows personal very quickly and many many players (including me) have a deep respect and loyalty to their guild and even enemies.

so having players who's only goal is to name htemselves Zyzz LillliillilllIILLL (you pick out which is een L and which is an I ). you cant send /tells to these people. you cant report these people. you cant invite, or ignore these people... and there is no reason in any of teh 666 layers of hell that such a name would be for any other reason then to annoy, irritate and harass.

so props to ye aventurine. once again!

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 4:49AM (Unverified) said

Aventurine talks tough, but frankly, they lack the know-how.

Cheating is ruining that game and everyone knows it. Pounding the table is easy. Fixing your broken game is hard.

I like Syncaine but he's just shilling for Darkfall here. I don't think most people believe Aventurine is actually doing a good job policing its game at all.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 5:48AM dudes said

They've got some customer service skills. Nottttttttttttttttttt.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 10:02AM (Unverified) said

Most games I play, I can right-click a person's name (either the avatar or in the chatbox) and get a dropdown list to tell, ignore, etc. so it doesn't matter how goofy the name is. I assume Darkfall doesn't do that?