Posted: Apr 14th 2009 8:19AM Khannington said

Hello,

I read books that are associated to a game I currently play but only really when the lore comes first. For example, I have read the first (and will do the second) WAR books, but these books compliment a rich lore that existed before the game. The same would/maybe apply to the new Star Wars game.

I find games that have the lore before the games generally have a much more detailed and complete story that those that have been created for a game.

Adrian
www.warhammerworlds.com

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 8:49AM (Unverified) said

Like Adrian said in the post before mine, I am very much interested in the lore of the game which I currently play. I've been playing the games in the Warcraft series for a while and now that I've also played WOW I have picked up an interest in lore some more. I have read the Warcraft Archive (has Night of the Dragon, The Last Guardian, I can't remember the title on the story of Thrall, and Of Blood and Honor). I have also read the other Archive on the Well of Eternity Trilogy. Both collections of books have been very good reads and they have shed light on a lot of the events leading up to the game.

I plan on reading some of the other works, although I've read that not all that have been released are good. But I look forward to Christie Golden's "Arthas: Rise of the Lich King" soon to be released.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 9:13AM elocke said

I like to read, therefore I will give my favorite mmo's novelizations a shot. That being said, I've read the WOW books, all but the latest, and found them a fun read. A bit dark and depressing, but overall written fairly well. I've also read the few Everquest books out there, interesting reads, but very confusing as to where they fit into the gameworld itself.

Now, for the kicker, Warhammer. Much like the game, the novels have flashy covers and look great in synopsis, but once you get into them, I have to wonder who the editor and publisher of Warhammer books are(this includes even the pre game books.) Horrible writing, boring plotlines, just atrocious in every way. This might explain why the game isn't that great either and is missing a certain flair of drama. I'll still give other games a shot, but I'm staying far away from Warhammer. Matter of fact, I just turned in my 10 Warhammer books I had bought last year to the local Paperback trader and am now engrossed in the Game of Thrones series.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 9:45AM (Unverified) said

I've never read the book of a game, but if the game was a book first, Lord of the Rings being the obvious example, then that definitely makes me want to play the game more.

What I do read though are factual books about MMO games and players such as 'Play Between Worlds' and 'Synthetic Worlds' which I find extremely interesting.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 9:48AM (Unverified) said

Never read a book based on an MMO and don't expect I ever will.

I read enough books based on pen & paper RPGs in my youth to know that they're always a cash-in on fans who wouldn't know good writing if it groined them.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:44AM karnisov said

Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends trilogies were damn good books. Yeah alot of rpg tie-ins suck but there are exceptions.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 9:51AM Tom in VA said

In a word: No.

An MMO needs a good story, yes, but that story needs to be related -- and related well -- within the context of the game itself.

The exception to that rule might be something like LotRO, where the books preceded the game.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 9:59AM (Unverified) said

I'm a sucker of the fantasy fluff. Read lots of WoW works and a few Warhammer. Its like a geeks harlequin romance thing I guess. Beyond that .. AoC got me reading original works of R.E. Howard. And the novel that goes withe "The Witcher" is really good.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 12:21PM (Unverified) said

The Witcher is based on the book(s) not the other way around. I'm also under the impression that the book bundled with the game only contained the short story titled 'The Last Wish'. The full book is very good.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:20AM (Unverified) said

I've made the mistake of reading some of the WoW books and some other game novels as well.

Terrible idea: bad writing. Bad, bad writing. I think they have computers assemble the books. Like said above, it's just an attempt to cash in on the fans.

I've vowed not to read anymore of that crap.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:37AM DaBruuzer said

I recently picked up the first and second WAR novels, and was happily amazed at their quality. Although I was never a fan of fantasy-genre novels, these were so well done, that they may have changed that opinion.

I read some of the WoW novels a while back, and thought they were just terrible. Just goes to show you that you never know, and sometimes taking a chance on a new novel can pan out. Of course, it helps that the lore of the Warhammer universe has a much longer history, and is much more graphic and less child-like. IMO, of course.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:52AM NeoWolfen said

Games Workshop have produced novels set in thier game worlds for years, so them continuing the trend by including novels that also involve the MMO's storyline was a no brainer and the quality of the first novel was as good as any of thier existing novels.

Even though I don't play WAR any longer I have still bought the second novel and will no doubt buy any additional books they release relating to it as so long as they are an enjoyable read im happy.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 11:41AM johnnic1235 said

I read and enjoyed the two City of Heroes novels (and to a lesser extent, the comics). I'm sad they gave those up. But then, they eventually gave up making content for the game, too. :P

And of course I have read books that pre-date their MMO's: Lord of the Rings, the D&D books, Conan, DC Comics, Star Wars, and Star Trek books.

I'd love to see some Star Trek books set in the ST future that the MMO will be set in. A Conan novel based on the MMO wouldn't be bad either.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 11:44AM (Unverified) said

I used to read the CoH comics back when Cryptic mailed them out to their players for free, but I can't say I'd ever go out of my way to buy any novels or other printed materials.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 12:03PM (Unverified) said

I love fluff additions. I've all the Halo books, the Mass Effect books and a fair few MMO books.

Ive yet to pick up the second WAR novel but the first was rather good. I loved the War of the Ancients Trilogy for Warcraft though Im not a WoW player. I loved the first CoH book and thought the second ok. It's a pity we wont get a novelised version of the Rikti War. Have all the CoH comics too. EVE The Empyrean Age is a fantastic read and stands proudly outside the game.

Like with any other book, if it's a genre Im interested in and the author can write, I'll read it. That said, MMO books can add even more to the background of the game, in the CoH example. Everyone knows that the Rikti War occured, but its never been stated exactly what went on over the course of it, just generalities. Fleshing out the back story can help immensely with immersion.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 3:37PM (Unverified) said

The wow ones I've read are ok. It was nice to see the larger picture, and 'meet' npc I would not get to in game due to the shitty 40-man raids.

I really enjoyed the EQ2 ones, they were a solid stand-alone novels. And there is *shock* actually a backstory apart from kill 10 rats.

And I have every Eberron book. The game suck-ass as they manage to convey nearly none of what is special about the novels, and instead released a forced repeatable set-piece game with a monthly fee.

The problem is that MMOs are largely un-immersive.
You have to kill 10's of thousands of mobs. Bosses respawn. And you are never a really a hero.

"And everything I know is what I need to know
And everything I do's been done before
Every sentence in my head
Someone else has said
At each end of my life is an open door"
-- the Who

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 2:42PM (Unverified) said

Your articles misleading in that it implies Witcher and WAR are following WoWs example, Witcher was a novel first, and WAR comes from Game Workshop who've operated the Black Library long before Climax or Mythic came knocking with the idea of an MMO.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story