Posted: Apr 13th 2009 1:13PM (Unverified) said

Wouldn't a website like this run afoul of the clause about matchmaking services in the WoW EULA?

"You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

E. host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or the Service, or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;"

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 1:19PM Thac0 said

if the matchmakers don't own and play WoW to click on the EULA then they are not subject to the EULA. It doesn't state that the players cant USE a matchmaking service there.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 11:16PM (Unverified) said

The terms in the TOS apply to technical network situations. It refers to the network protocols and packet routing involved in connecting users to game servers. A good example would be battle-net.

Somebody setting up their own little routing network emulating or interfering with WoW packet routing would run afoul of this.

It has nothing to do with the social connotations of connecting players to guilds and other groups.

At least that's what I understand from it. Please correct me if you see a blatant inaccuracy in what I posted.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 3:06PM (Unverified) said

Darren here from WoW Headhunter!

Interesting point, thought this doesn't appear to be a problem for us. Though, we shoudl probably take note of it.

In fact, we are currently the featured Blizzard community site on www.worldofwarcraft.com.

If any of you guys try out the service, I'd absolutely love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks Shawn, massively.com and its readers.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 5:38PM (Unverified) said

Hiya Darren. Any chance your fine service will eventually be able to facilitate guild alliances, or would that be just too complicated? I'm in the situation where I have my own small guild; we don't recruit as we strongly prefer having people we know personally within our ranks, but this also inevitably means that raiding is out of our reach unless we ally with guilds who may need the extra manpower. So, color me curious. :)

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 5:43PM Graill440 said

The interview, unbelievable: "if it's worth our time". That and you gamers want to be called leaders? I could make a comparison to a WW2 german that called himself a leader too. Both bad examples.

Looks like the matchmaker system will be busy finding matches to your types of folks......thats not a good thing by the way hero.

As long as they do not charge anything or ask for donations not much blizzard can do. Even if blizzard wanted to sue it would be similar to a record label trying to sue you for using a third party set of index cards to sort purchased cd's from them.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 5:47PM (Unverified) said

Ah, this is a very interesting idea. Would you care to e-mail me and tell me more on what you'd want to see with an integrated guild alliance system?

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 6:04PM Dblade said

I always find it interesting the language they use. It's so much like a job interview, even across different games, applying for an endgame guild. Applicants, qualifications, references, headhunters.

It's a pretty damning indictment though of endgame design, if the language that comes to mind is that of a business, rather than a sport, league, or club.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 6:26PM wjowski said

Congratulations. You've made MMOs not fun.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 6:46PM (Unverified) said

Aw. That's definitely not our intent. ^_^

The point of WoW Headhunter is to be able to find similarly-minded people to join or recruit.

In the case of Matticus and Kree, they run larger more pro-active PvE base guilds. That in turn just requires more organization and structure to run smoothly. They've both figured out systems that work for them and gives their guild glue to stick together.

While they do have more strict guidelines when participating in their guild, you can't down them for not having any fun. That's how they enjoy their time playing WoW and previous MMO's. As both stated that at the end of it all, it's about having fun and part of that is being able to find compatible guild mates to raid with.

How do you think we can make it better?

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 12:28AM (Unverified) said

Who knew websites held such power over your enjoyment of a video game!

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 5:53AM (Unverified) said

@Wjowsk

Damn dude, congrats on being a total douche. A guy comes up with a free system to enhance your play by allowing you to more easily find other ungrateful douchebags like yourself to game with, and you whine about it?

Here's an idea... DON'T USE THE WEBSITE!

Personally I'm really glad somebody finally made something like this. It recognizes a need in multi-player games to match people with similar expectations of the game so that the gameplay is enhanced for both. Companies should have recognized this AGES ago. X-box live is about the closest attempt.

Yes some of it reads like a job interview. Some people like playing with others who seize a challenge and take it seriously. I for one do. When I apply to a guild that is critical of my skill, I know they're going to be critical of their other members too, and I'll get to game with people who appreciate finely wrought teamwork and challenge.

If the thought of taking a game seriously offends you, A) don't game with people who do take it seriously (the website should help you with that) and B) go find other people who like struggling to get half-way through Deadmines because your healer is trying to tank and your DPS are wearing vendor purchased white items.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 7:42PM (Unverified) said

What a great idea! I wish they had something like this some time ago, because honestly, it is the guild that will make or break your MMO experience.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 10:38PM (Unverified) said

So ... any chance there's an equivalent service for casual players looking for casual/social/relaxed/non-PvP/what-have-you/something-else guilds?

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 2:42AM (Unverified) said

Although I like the initiative, it's also very clear that this system will suffer quite the abuse.

First of all, (I have limited internet access at work, so I havent been able to check out everything about this new system, correct me where I am wrong) it seems that this system does not correct itself based on age.

I personally started playing about 4.5 years ago. I started with a Rogue and I was a pure retard, both skillwise and attitude wise. I had only experienced Ragnarok Online as an MMO before WoW and my guild attitude was horrible. I often ended up in flame wars and actually enjoyed it. All people holding that against me over the course of years are absolutely right that they do so. They simply have this memory of me and if I'm not able to show them that I've changed, than that's their choice. However, what your headhunter system would have caused, would be for me to be pre-emptively(grammar/sp?) expelled from all guilds that support(ed) the headhunter system over the course of those 4 years (if I had stayed on that server).

I've personally grown a great deal over the last several years. I'm one of the more skilled players these days. After my Rogue, I wanted to start anew on a different server and I rerolled a Warrior. I've been Protection from scratch, as attonement for my "crimes" on my Rogue. I recieved most of my levels learning to tank from WC up to LBRS and beyond. My skills grew a large deal over the first year, but my social skills didn't improve untill 2 years after. Even though I was one of the more skilled players, socially speaking I was still very much underdeveloped and got kicked from several guilds.

Many years later, having rolled a DK on a RL friends server, I'd personally say that I no longer have to fear my own attitude as a factor blocking my progression in end-game. I'm well geared in both Tanking and DPS (75% Naxx 25), a skilled player as both. I'm currently in a semi casual guild, awaiting a verdict on an application to a raid guild which I left 3 months ago, because I objectively disagreed with some decisions that were made. I'm able to return, because 95% of the people didn't find me a walking disaster, socially. Of course, there will always be people that don't understand or can't take my dark sense of humor, but I no longer purposely drive things into flamewars. I have, in a way, settled down. I'm no longer offended by things that would have resulted in a nerd rage spree 4 years ago. In other words, people learn to be different, to be better and more social.

How does your headhunter system cater to change ? If your system gets released world wide, how will people that currently are like I used to be, 4 years ago, get a chance to change their ways, besides rerolling (hidden) alts ?

Second, how is this system going to prevent abuse from people that simply dislike you, or simply had one single bad experience with you. Slander is not an odd thing in WoW. Even though I'm able to behave these days, doesn't mean that I always will. A tank that fails horribly at nearly every encounter will definitely not get a very decent response from me, depending on how he/she responds to tips during the run (counts solely for heroics, in raids, thats up to the raidleaders). After all, if you epicly fail, you should listen to advice and I'm happy to oblige. If that gesture gets ignored by said player, I am inclined to go (very)sarcastic. That might make me a horrible player for some, but not to others. What stops those players from completely ruining an otherwise decent profile ?

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 2:43AM (Unverified) said

Again, the above is purely based on this article, this is one of the few sites I can access at work.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM