Posted: Apr 13th 2009 4:51PM (Unverified) said

I have crafted one of those very long story arcs and spent a fair share of my time trying out approx. 20 other arcs. Unfortunately, the search interface could use a bit more robust options because there are so many missions. I can't wait to see what they have planned for the future of MA(Mission Architect) or how many MARC's(Mission Architect Arcs) we will see in the future. there is the theoretical possibility of having almost 500,000 MARCS made if everyone made their allotted three.

I do enjoy our new player-created Overlords.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 5:43PM (Unverified) said

I've enjoyed it so far, to an extent. While the tools are reasonably powerful, the number of things you can't do that a developer could is fairly infuriating. Most of my planned missions won't work, simply because a simple mechanic or two is not available, despite them drawing on features used in developer missions. The other issue is the limited file size -- somehow after creating 3 missions of my 5 mission arc I was out of space and couldn't complete it.

The other issue, of course, is that the MA missions are a fine example of Sturgeon's Law (which states that 90% of everything is crap). Even the 5-star rated developer's choice missions aren't really that good, not able to match the really good developer created arcs, being more like a mediocre developer arc.

Normal content is still going strong, because it's better balanced in risk, reward, and time commitment, plus you avoid the absurdity of some player missions that can be pretty aggravating (I played one last night where I was fighting tooth decay alongside the tooth fairy . . . what?!). I get plenty of invites to groups, and the best time I've had since I14 went live was still doing regular missions with a group.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 5:26PM Heraclea said

Fighting tooth decay alongside the tooth fairy? I really must play that one. Remember the title?

Seriously, this shows that tastes are going to differ. My own arcs tend to be fairly surreal and full of tongue in cheek humor. No one will be neutral about them. Probably, once the new wears off and more and more arcs get tested and rated, a mid-rated arc that has generated strong opinions pro or con will be the most interesting ones.

Multiple player stars are no guarantee of quality, especially if the arc is intended to be a ticket farm or useful for power levelling. Those will be popular but will never be entertaining.

Posted: Apr 13th 2009 6:31PM (Unverified) said

So far Architect has been a blast. Yes, there's alot of bad stuff out there, but some really cool ideas as well. But I agree that it can be overwhelming at first for both creators and players trying to find a good mission.

I've actually just started a new website that will hopefully help with both. It's called City of Heroes Architecture, and can be found at:

Submissions and comments are welcome.:)

Tenebrae

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:38AM (Unverified) said

I belong to a community of players that have been regularly swapping and sharing our published arcs, and we've been forming teams to play through them. So if you take the social scale of a guild (rather than a lonely player amongst thousands of strangers), the Mission Architect is wonderful. You can put your blood, sweat and tears into an arch knowing that a couple dozen people you respect can give it a fair and hearty go.

Don't forget these MMOs are social games, I expect the MA system to be treated like any other instanced system. There's also a channel devoted to promoting and finding arcs, and I've also seen players putting their arc numbers in their player descriptions, so people they team with can go see their creations. Personally, I'm checking out plenty of missions strictly on other player recommendations. I've yet to need to search through the pile to find something fun.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 10:45AM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately, your numbers are out of date. There's over 50,000 arcs right now.

And as for things having changed for good? They have. I won't list all the ways, but between the current fact that for the moment PL farming has moved from the high level zones on some servers to using player created content, that (for the time being) the bulk of non-player created content is not being done (and very difficult to find teams for on the servers where it's being done), and how some badgers are up in arms on the fact that they can't really do a lot themselves to get a good chunk of the new badges from i14 (they have to be played by a /LOT/ other people, be voted highly by a /LOT/ of other people, or be liked well enough by a Dev to be marked as Devs Choice), things definately have become different.

Only time will tell if these end up being good or bad changes.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 1:34PM Sente said

@Aoide: Only the arc id:s have passed 50000. The actual number of arcs are "only" around 21000 now.

The developers' choice is really no guarantee whatsoever that one will be playing some of the best arcs around. The developers do not really have any magic trick up their sleeve to find good arcs more than any other player.

The key here will be the various communities forming and sharing arc information. No-one will be able to find the 100 best arcs available (and what is "best" may be subject to debate), but may be able to find enough to find the experience rewarding - regardless if you create missions yourself or just play them.

Posted: Apr 14th 2009 4:53PM (Unverified) said

There are SO many trash arc already, and it's probably going to get worse. I hope they come up with a way to automatically unpublish arcs that no one ever plays.

You can tell from the descriptions which ones had zero effort put into them, but it still takes a LONG time to sift through the enormous list for something that might be worthwhile.

So yes, a better search tool, but also some kind of filter to keep out the arcs with no dialog and only one kind of critter repeated ad nauseam.

Posted: Apr 15th 2009 5:39PM (Unverified) said

There IS a tool to filter out those arcs, so to speak - use the 'only show arcs I haven't rated'. Rate all of those junk arcs with one star as you go through the list.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM