Posted: Apr 10th 2009 6:19AM (Unverified) said

As much as I love CoX I think they should be a little careful claiming to be the first MMORPG to offer user created content, Ryzom did it long before CoX even hinted at it.

But who cares, I have missions to create ... up UP and AWAY!

Posted: Apr 10th 2009 6:47AM Minofan said

Quick question from non-subscriber to (presumed) subscriber :

Could I level up through just user-created missions ?

As in not having to jog around the city - just go to this created mission hub and adventure my way through the ranks ?

Posted: Apr 10th 2009 9:33AM (Unverified) said

@vulturion: yes you can, though it's currently quite difficult to find low-level arcs in the MA, and you'd be missing out on quite a lot of story info that might be skimmed over in player-created arcs.

Right now I'd personally say a first-time player should dip into the MA occasionally, but mainly level through dev-created content. Some of the older Dev content in CoH may be a little tedious, but some of it is fantastic, and missing it would be a shame I think.

But the MA is also fantastic, and you can absolutely level from 1-50 in it. As someone who already had several 50s, I love this new source of INFINITE CONTENT!

Posted: Apr 10th 2009 10:40AM Minofan said

Thanks for the response.

I don't hate getting around in City Of Heroes, but whenever I've levelled up int he past there are always points where :

a] Quests keep sending my little lowbie to distant locations in locations color-coded as INSTANT DEATH for my level.

or

b] Quest chain progress depends on going into zones without stations (like Troll County or whatever its called) and visiting multiple locations that are 10 tedious minutes apart.

I might give City Of X another chance soon if I can dodge those 2 bullets though, so yay.

Posted: Apr 10th 2009 10:59AM (Unverified) said

If in a) and b) you're referring to the Hollows, they rebalanced that zone a few issues ago. All the mission doors are much closer to the Atlas Park entrance now, and in areas of the zone where you won't need to dodge massive gangs of purple-con mobs to get there. You can also get Jet packs/jump packs from level 5 onwards now by doing a Safeguard mission.

And once you have a travel power, dodging enemies while getting around City Zones mostly becomes moot.