Posted: Apr 6th 2009 10:34AM HadesLotD said

The token system is a good idea but they are making items cost too many tokens, and they are making higher level gear require "rare" tokens plus normal tokens. Additionally the higher level gear that people want still requires a high renown rank to wear, so that will cut off many casual players. They could very well buy the gear, and then have it sitting in the bank for weeks or months because they won't have the renown to wear it.

I've put it on the feedback over there but they need to ditch the rare tokens, lower the token cost of the gear, and drop the renown requirement to wear it. Otherwise they have gone to all this trouble to help people get out of the PVE grind only to give them an even worse RVR grind.

Make no mistake. End game RVR City Invasions are a gear check. Without the right gear, you will be 1 shotted by mobs.

Posted: Apr 6th 2009 11:16AM (Unverified) said

Personally, I think it's great. I have ZERO interest in the crappy PVE in WAR. I'm playing (again) for the time being, and trying to level strictly through RvR and LIGHT Scen (1 or 2 per play session).

Lucking out on a gold bag, in the few & far between City PQs is hard enough. This system will free that up some.

Also, having a PVP gear grind is totally cool with me. I like having something to look forward to. Those people that want to go straight for the higher wards and let the gear sit in their bank also have the options to not do that. Get the Conq or Invader stuff and then save up again.

I'm just really happy I'll be able to never set foot in LV, SH, Warpblade or any of the potentially boring-as-their-predecessor Tome King dungeons, and not feel inferior b/c I refuse to PVE grind.

This is a good start, but it's still not at a level where they sold this game to people before launch for straight PVP grinding.

Posted: Apr 6th 2009 3:35PM (Unverified) said

Will have to see how it plays out, initially I kinda felt they overdid the token system with 2 different types of tokens for each of the 4 tiers. So there's 8 different tokens and at least 4 NPCs where you can either buy gear or trade in your unneeded tokens for other tokens that you do need. Seems a little confusing and overly complex at first glance.

I do like that the tokens are uncommon drops that you can get just by doing whatever. It would really suck if they forced you to repeat the same few things over and over to grind them out.

Posted: Apr 7th 2009 11:12AM Orekri said

I personally like the token system and the fact that is extremely difficult. This game is best in RVR and I am very bad about getting bored with a game that I no longer have the ability to achieve any more on a personal level in. Once I get that maxed out set and can no longer go any higher, yes I still play, but the amount of time I log in is greatly reduced.

Many people are like that, WoW became so easy to deck myself in full purple gear, that I played less and less as the quality of my gear went up. Granted WAR has an ongoing war in it that keeps you on your toes and involved in the fights for territory, but I am sure that if they made it way to easy to get geared out then people would start quitting once they hit their own personal plateau's.

That being said the contribution system is very bugged, and even when that amazing gear does drop, it is extremely unlikely you will get it. That is just as likely to cause you to quit, if you feel like you will never get your gear because the system is against you.

I feel their high requirements and a clear path to attainment help to A.) keep people shooting for a clearly defined goal and B.) making the task difficult enough to actually feel a sense of accomplishment when they reach that goal.

Overall I think it is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will still be quite a task to get the gear, but not require an act of divine intervention.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM