Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 9:23AM (Unverified) said

idiots...

"Crap, Jack got disbarred so we look foolish for blaming kid violence on video games. I know! We can blame extramarital affairs on them then! Yea! That's the ticket! Video games breed violence in adults! And it's the moomoo game thingies!"

WTF is next? Video games being blamed for dog's that are aggressive? Why do they start crap like this?

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 9:29AM (Unverified) said

Every day perople are murdered out of jealousy or hate and now we single out a case where a video game may have been involved and we decide it is the cause of all violence based problems it has nothing to do with tens of thousands of years of evolution in harsh enviroments and competing to decide (i think i started out with a statement and moved into sarcasm :S )

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 9:29AM (Unverified) said

where i put "competing to decide" i meant competing to survive someone was asking me to decide on lunch

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 9:29AM (Unverified) said

As an Italian reader I confirm Second Life is not being mentioned in the articles I found about this topic. Here are a couple of them - from the online version of the two main Italian newspapers:

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 9:44AM archipelagos said

Typical tabloid reporting. It reminds me of the case with the kid that got stabbed and Manhunt was blamed. Turns out that the owner of the game was not the murderer, but the victim. You really can't believe everything you read/hear on the news as it's all agenda based over factual reporting.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 10:28AM (Unverified) said

I dont understand how journalists are allowed to make things up about real people. Or how we are expected to know if anything reported in NEWS is true. I wish the credit crunch would claim tabloid companies.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 10:25AM (Unverified) said

Maybe what's happening is the original story began as something like "the woman had developed a second life online [using email and IM] and her husband was jealous" and then someone misread it, changing "second life" to "Second Life." Voila!

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 10:29AM (Unverified) said

That sort of thing does indeed happen. It then continues going around and around, since everyone pulls news from everyone else.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 10:55AM (Unverified) said

Don't worry, 90% of England realise that anything written in the Daily Mail is likely to be trash, the problem is that the other 10% buy it which keeps them from going under.

It's fine though, the majority of the country know that it's bullshit, "Daily Mail reader" is actually an insult here (seriously!).

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 11:23AM MikeBIndy said

I think people want to find a suitable if not necessarily justifiable cause for a brutal act. Finding explicit emails is neither as explicit nor visual as encountering one's spouse plugged in to someone else's Second Life avatar. If cheating with the pool boy is cause for murder, cheating with a pixel-perfect eternally 22 year old tanned virtual god is sure to be inciteful, at least.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 2:23PM Abriael said

Yeah, second life was never mentioned on the news. I'm in italy and watch TV news all the time, no mention of it was made whatsoever, and italian news reporters know very well about SL, since the boom it had on every news source here a year ago. if it was the cause, they would have mentioned it for sure.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 3:14PM (Unverified) said

People that old simply are not that passionate about relationships in a sense where they would take some E-Cyber so seriously. This is so exaggerated that I would rather believe the press did this on purpose to add drama to virtual entertainment.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 5:09PM (Unverified) said

an interesting read on the topic of blaming video games for violence

(though I myself don't consider SL to be video game)

Posted: Apr 3rd 2009 6:13PM (Unverified) said

As of this writing the "Daily Mail" article Tateru cites has no mention of Second Life in it. It has evidently been edited to correct the mistake.

Now I have to go scrub my self with disinfectant. . . I just almost defended the "Daily Mail" Ewwwwww. I'm soooo sorry.

Posted: Apr 4th 2009 7:20PM (Unverified) said

well, at least they've corrected themselves, a significant improvement from how things like this happened in the past