Posted: Mar 30th 2009 4:17PM Dashx747 said

I personally think space structures is the best and most possible idea of the group. Tactical envoriments I see it as already on "test phase", and should be integrated to more systems soon.

Good article Brendan. All changes here are in fact doable and match the Eve gameplay (unlike "walking in stations", which is horrible and forced). Belts do need an overhaul (at least take their name out of overview to force scanner usage), although planetary flight is hard to pull, since it requires lot's of effects not present today (water is one that comes to mind).

At least they gave us the most needed one (skill queu)...

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 5:16PM dudes said

Still Walking in Stations top 1 to 4 and onwards to 10. Yup, that's it.

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 6:01PM (Unverified) said

i like your ideas.

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 6:21PM (Unverified) said

Eve’s current asteroid model is ok; they use a lod/distance algorithm which works alright. Asteroids are less complex at ranges. Until at a distance asteroids become a cluster of points and fewer points the further out you go. Bill boarding might save a little resource in the big picture... but in one belt... not so much.

The trouble that CCP is likely running into as far as adding major belt events is that anything that makes mining more difficult will dramatically effect eve economy. If they add planetary mining and different types of mining for simple mineral the economic hit might be mitigated somewhat.

From a fun standpoint things happening in belts is a good idea.... but my feeling is that they should try it out on new additions to the game in this way it would have less of a chance to impact the economy ; then over time slowly add some events to older belts as the economy grows.

It’s going to be a long process if done right.

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 6:55PM (Unverified) said

#5. Fun.

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 1:06AM (Unverified) said

My personal favorite feature that EVE could really use, LAG REDUCTION.

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 1:46AM (Unverified) said

All of these things, without exception I think, has been something that the CSM has discussed with CCP is some shape, way or form.

The problem being how much CCP can do at any given time.

But I'd not be surprised if CCP actually manages to get around to some of these features inside 2 years time.

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Good summary Brendan. Mining especially is in need of an overhaul to make it more interesting. Your idea in the forums for a mining overhaul was great!

A thing I'd personally like to see:
Bounty hunting revised. Payout from bounty pool = value of property destroyed. Could work the same as insurance payout with value of implants added when podded. This is maybe more of a fix for an existing (and broken) feature rather than a new one, but I think it would be a significant change/balance to piracy in eve.

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 9:53AM Brendan Drain said

Hey Lavista.

From what I gather, CCP has adopted a laser-focused approach to game design these days. All resources possible were focused on getting the apocrypha expansion out the door and now they'll be concentrating everyone's effort on ambulation. So it's possible that a complete mining system overhaul or something of that scale may be in the pipeline but I wouldn't expect it for at least a year.

Between a year and two years seems a reasonable estimate. And if they do end up working on anything like this, I can always hope that I might be working for them and could work on the issues I am passionate about. I'm not too hopeful on that front though, when I applied they made me take a programming test and haven't gotten back to me regarding it. Oh well, no worries :).

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 10:05AM (Unverified) said

I'd settle for some form of user-configurable interface while in space, or even just a faction-based difference between interfaces. This is a massively advanced civilization and yet every single ship looks the same from inside the pod.

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 10:09AM Brendan Drain said

Technically the pods are jovian tech but a configurable UI would be pretty nice.

Posted: Apr 1st 2009 1:03PM (Unverified) said

I read somewhere on the main boards a couple of months ago that they'd like to make the roid belts system spanning. The pirates and can-flippers immediately started whining, since it would be much harder to find a target without actually scanning them down 1st, and who wants to use a high slot on a probe launcher when you're a pirate, right?

Loved your story on the main boards of the "living in wormhole space" btw. any chance of some sort of writeup on it here as an article instead of a forum post?

Posted: Apr 1st 2009 2:00PM Brendan Drain said

Possibly! I did a lot of editorial work on that forum post Anopheli made, which is why it probably read very much in my style of writing. So far we've only experienced life in a few systems from our first expedition. We're currently in a deadly unknown system for our second expedition and there's a lot of info we need to collect before I could write it up well. Besides, I think I might get a few angry comments if I did yet another article about how awesome wormholes are :D.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 10:54PM (Unverified) said

To be fair, I wrote most of that article up while half asleep and it was rapidly disorganized. Nyphur worked a small miracle on it with the editing.

I'm keeping better notes on our present expedition. Our new W-space system is very different animal indeed. If anything, it's at the most extreme end of the difficulty curve we've yet to see, or even read about. Barring of course the Sisi expedition where the Dev's dragged Motherships into W-space. The escalation mechanic put the fear of god into the players who did it.