Posted: Mar 29th 2009 6:13PM archipelagos said

I'm trying not to get too hopeful about The Secret World but you're making it difficult for me now! Joking aside, I'm glad the demo went down well.

Posted: Mar 29th 2009 7:30PM (Unverified) said

I might be prone to getting excited about the Secret world if it was made by anyone other than Funcom. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll fail on most of their promises and release a buggy, unfinished product.

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 9:37PM TacosWLove said

I would agree, funcom screwed up big time on AoC and I wouldnt trust something on the same engine.

And its about time we see a MMOFPS as a top choice, planetside is 6years old and pretty much dead. we need some damn variety in this WOW(EQ) clone world. I mean look at games in general, RPG's typically are not the best sellers and the next big company that makes a really good MMOFPS is going to have blizzrds cake and eat it too..

Posted: Mar 29th 2009 9:46PM J Brad Hicks said

Hero Engine is potentially very important, but only potentially. It's an attempt to tackle the single issue that has wrecked the most attemped MMOs: development cost. If every MMO that tried to launch didn't have to develop its own back end, its own client/server communications model, and so forth, it would help bring down those budgets.

It's only enough if it supports really robust game play. If Hero Engine supports that, I certainly can't tell so from their web page or from what few demos I've heard reviewed; the game play I've seen supported seems very retro, not much beyond Everquest or (at most) WoW, not much room for innovation without having to bolt a lot of programming into their existing client and server, which may not be enough easier than doing so from scratch. It's also only enough if it cuts the out-of-control cost of developing art assets, including in-game objects, character models, and animation; the over-the-top cost to develop good quality art for MMOs is one of the main things eat MMO company budgets.

If Simultronics HAS solved those two problems, though, or if they're going to, then it's going to be a big, big deal for the entire MMO industry. If MMOs cost 10% as much to develop, they wouldn't have to shut their doors for lack of enough subscribers to cover the interest costs on the loans for the "crime" of attracting and holding fewer than a million customers at the end of the first month. Lots of potential MMOs could reach 100,000 subscribers at the end of their first month. Almost none have even the potential to reach 1,000,000 that fast.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 11:43PM (Unverified) said

LOL, you metion Sci-fi and mini-games as the biggest trends but you fail to mention mini-games in sci-fi: the proposed SecWars to be included in the Walking In Stations add-on to EVE-Online.

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 5:41AM (Unverified) said

*I really enjoy massively and your podcast*

TWS looks to be a different story! I think the big difference is the people behind the game, and Ragnar has some talent for storytelling.

To all the doomsayers, I`m sick of you and your polluting of the internet! Why is every thing win or fail, there is alot in between and if everyone has to be perfect, so should you!
If you scream fail for anything, show me your reason behind - and dont go on saying a friend of your brother said he tried the game for one hour/day/week when it released and said it was epic fail... In general we should always show our reasoning...

AS for the Hero Engine, it looks great. Only problem is the magnitude of the software behind, when it has to support alot of features that a game dont need - alot of overhead if not made well and extendable.

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 1:59PM (Unverified) said

Most Anticipated New Game for 2009: Global Agenda. This was a tough one because there were SO MANY, but Global Agenda is just so polished and it will be successful at what it's meant to do: let people have fun. I mean, isn't that why we play games, anyway?

Really? A game that doesn't even seem to be a MMO and that's your Most Anticipated New Game?

Shrug.