Posted: Mar 28th 2009 11:53PM (Unverified) said

Grinds should be a thing in the past. Developers have so much more power these days. But what do they do? They simply make it a challenge of "which game disguises their grind the best". Its quite sickening.

Don't get me wrong though. I enjoyed Ragnarok Online for many, many years, and if you don't know about it its basically as straight out grinding it can get. But as I said, we've seen that already, its time to do something new.

I've been playing WoW on and off since release, much because I can't really play any other MMOs that Id like to test on my shitty laptop. From time to time, like now, you realize how boring the game really is, and as many others, you really only stay for the relations you've managed to create over the months/years.

I hope I can keep my word and lay off MMOs for awhile, which might be hard since I'll still be reading this site.

Posted: Mar 29th 2009 12:03AM cray said

Grind is a nonsense term that hardcore gamers have overused to describe anything they deem boring or tedious.

Problem is that these same hardcore players don't realize that there are plenty of people who enjoy monotonous gameplay. So not every tedious task should be considered a bad thing.

For example, in Darkfall looting is a rather tedious task. Which plenty of players have deem that game mechanic a good thing. Some may hate it and call it grinding

Lets stop using the term grind to describe every little thing you don't like about the game. If you don't like killing the same mobs over and over, then label it repetitive or some other description.

Posted: Mar 29th 2009 5:13AM (Unverified) said

I can't say that I've played a huge amount of MMO's, but I have tried out some of the Korean f2p's and also have played both Guild Wars and WoW.

Honestly, I find the level grind in WoW shocking, but I keep doing it. WoW has that feeling of "here's a carrot...but over here is another one if u can reach it." is it bad design? in parts, yes. The grind doesn't bother me when it's part of quests (although I must admit doing all the kill X to get Y of has already made me stop playing for weeks at a time and I'm not even six months in >_

Posted: Mar 29th 2009 5:18AM (Unverified) said

lol....humm...the service but my post in half...hopefully the other bit turns up later....but basically my one issue is pacing - grind is good so long as it feels like ur achieving something in an appropriate amount of time.
For example, I would love to see the gathering skills in WoW progress roughly the same pace as ur level, so that u never feel like you :"have" to go back and grind an area you've just finished to catch your tradeskill up to the area you're now levelling in...

PassingS

Posted: Mar 31st 2009 1:55PM (Unverified) said

I was playing SWG and doing one of the legacy quests where you had to kill spiders, spiders and more spiders. I was a long time subscriber and was there pre-cu. After doing this quest line I realized that I was feeling sick (literarlly) from killing all these spiders with no purpose other than to complete the quest line. Shortly after this point, I quit forever.