Posted: Mar 27th 2009 3:09PM Arkanaloth said

so do you still have to wait at the zone line for hours / days at a stretch hoping for a group that's willing to grind for the subjob quest items?

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:01PM Snow Leopard said

When does this game start getting fun?

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:11PM fanguad said

Just a small correction - Ghouls (like all undead) aggro to sound, not sight. Walking behind them unfortunately won't work.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:24PM Seraphina Brennan said

Oof! My bad! Yeah... kind of hard to aggro by sight when you have no eyes...

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:13PM (Unverified) said

I'd like to point out that Ghouls aggro by sound, not by sight.

Also you didn't mention anything about the alternative subjob quest found in Mhaura. While people generally don't party in that area, it is a viable option if you have a higher level friend who can help out.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:27PM Seraphina Brennan said

The guide is assuming that since you've been following along with it, you'll be in Valkurm Dunes (as that's where I've pointed folks to, even you intrepid Windurstians.)

The reason I've done that is for the obvious one -- Valkurm simply has more people to help you with the quest, and you can continue leveling while you do it. While the Mhaura quest is viable, the people who this guide is targeted towards may not have the option of calling on a higher level friend.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:13PM Dblade said

Actually, if you have a guild/linkshell, the ghoul can take less than 30 minutes of killing with one person helping you level 45 and above. Now that many people level sync while they party in the dunes,you can even as your own party for help. Some of the members may be high enough level unsynced to kill the ghouls.

With a mid to high level friend, this quest is easy.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:24PM Seraphina Brennan said

The guide is taking the assumption that the player is brand new to the game and may not have friends or a higher level guild to rely on.

With that said, you're absolutely right. :D

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:15PM fanguad said

Some other notes: you can also start this quest in Mhaura, which requires a different set of items. Be careful, though - once you start the quest in one place, you can't switch. Since Valkurm Dunes is typically more populated, most people do their subjob quest there.
Check out ffxiclopedia for more info on the Magicked Skull:
or the Mhaura quest:

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 4:29PM (Unverified) said

I don't mind forced grouping, but I tried playing FFXI not long ago and literally never saw a single person. I solo'd to level 4, which took forever(at least it felt like forever). I decided after that, not to try a group heavy game without friends playing it as well, or by getting in at launch.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 10:58PM (Unverified) said

Level 4? Hate to break it to you, but 99% of the time you won't find a group until level 10. I hit level 10 in two nights at about 2-3 hours each. It doesn't take that long. After level 10, I haven't played once ungrouped.

Just my 2c.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 5:51PM RogueJedi86 said

Still Mr. Brennan, it wouldn't be hard to do an aside for the Buburimu version, just copy and paste from FFXIclopedia. On Ragnarok, I've been doing just fine, Buburimu's Outpost always has a half-dozen people around it. Not too hard to get a group there. You don't have to force new players to go to Valkurm Dunes if they don't want to. Buburimu is perfectly viable too. People are biased for Dunes, but some people still go to Buburimu. It's a pretty similar quest too, 3 drops off 3 mobs there, including one undead. Even if the Dunes is better, you should mention the Peninsula for equal fairness.

As you said, a new player may not be aware of the Dunes, and may not care. Maybe they just want to level in an equally viable zone, with less people to take up space. Don't be hating on Mindartia, it's just as good a continent as Quon!

(That sounded more hateful than I intended, I apologize, I just hate the monotony of going the same straight and narrow as everyone else.)

Posted: Mar 28th 2009 2:49AM organiclockwork said

Copying and pasting from another source is generally known as plagiarizing and is not generally a good thing.

The point of the article was to help those that have been following along with his guide from the beginning, which would put them in Valkurm about now.

If someone really wants to go to Buburimu, they can look at FFXIclopedia themselves.

In related news, great article. Even though I'm not even in Valkurm yet on my WHM, I will be soon, so I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Posted: Mar 29th 2009 12:55AM (Unverified) said