Posted: Mar 26th 2009 6:31PM organiclockwork said

"Trading is a core concept of Pokemon. So when you're trading, you meet with a friend and decide which one you want and which one they want. I would like to emphasize real-world communication. You don't see each other online."

Uhm, is this guy just totally disregarding the fact that in Pearl, Diamond, and now Platinum, you can - and most people do - trade online instead of in-person? You can already battle, trade, and et cetera online. Why not just take it to the next logical level and make it an MMO? I'm stumped.

Posted: Mar 26th 2009 6:55PM (Unverified) said

The current games took a baby step forward in online trading, though the system is markedly sub-par. An MMO would do the trick nicely, but would clearly be too good of an idea to pursue.

Once the idea is 5 years too-late they'll jump on board, and do it poorly.

Posted: Mar 26th 2009 7:11PM Krystalle Voecks said

"I'm a 29 year old man. Where does this guy think I'm going to meet people to trade with? Maybe I could just go hang around a school yard and see how many trades I can get in before the cops arrest me?"

That sums it up nicely. I'd play a Pokemon MMO, but I'd similarly look pretty silly hanging around a schoolyard trying to trade Pokemon. :P

Maybe someday.

Posted: Mar 26th 2009 10:27PM (Unverified) said

Masuda added 'What?! We don't have enough bags for all the money that would make!! What a horrible idea!'

Posted: Mar 26th 2009 10:34PM (Unverified) said

The Japanese game developers are afraid of the internet, this isn't new news, just look at all the online games Nintendo has made.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 12:34AM hami83 said

No. Nintendo is afraid of internet.

Animal Crossing and Pokemon should and easily can be full blown casual MMOs.

They don't. Why? There's really no reason other then they fear the net or are just lazy and know they can make more money not making it an MMO.

Considering how many people just throw around their friends codes to make these games as MMO as possible really shows how ignorant Nintendo can be sometimes.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 1:40AM (Unverified) said

Pokemon and Star Wars are 2 of the only franchises I would give up WoW for.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 1:55AM (Unverified) said

Pokemon MMO just makes a ton of sense to me. I kinda get the feeling they would have a hard time doing it right, but if it were executed correctly I would love it. Group vs group pokemon duels, tournaments, badges, massive grind due to leveling a ton of pokemon... the idea has so much MMO potential it seems really stupid to ignore.

In the meantime, I've been casually playing a free-to-play MMO pet-centered MMO called Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. In it you play a demon tamer that negotiates with demons and employs them in a fight against a demon invasion. It's a pretty interesting game with quite a few gimmicks to draw you in. I didn't really know what to expect from it, but it looks like there is a going to be a god awful amount of grind. It is pretty fun and definitely gives me that "gotta catch 'em all" vibe. This combined with Requiem: Bloodymare and free-to-play MMOs are keeping me fairly well entertained.

I will have to give Ether Saga a shot, but the visuals are so kiddy cute it bothers me in ways I did not know I could be bothered.

Posted: Mar 27th 2009 2:21AM Brendan Drain said

I've been saying for years that Pokemon is the perfect IP for an MMO. They have a complete world and a unique (and very popular) core game mechanic that other games simply cannot copy. They have all the content they'll need, all the core game mechanics already pre-designed and a massive potential subscriber-base.

It's irritating that they aren't even considering the MMO market. They have complete lock-in of their particular subgenre of game. You could make a game about collecting and taming creatures and using them in combat but it wouldn't be pokemon. Nobody else could make as successful an MMO based on solely the pet and exploration mechanics inherent in pokemon, you need the pokemon brand to make that idea work.

Posted: Mar 30th 2009 3:32PM Orekri said

In truth although he pretends like he likes the social aspect really it is a business decision. The games are very much the center of whatever handheld console they are pimping at any given time, and with every iteration of their handheld they are on at the time. They usually make two versions that run opposing each other and then a third version that sort of mashes the two with a few new ones they add. As we have seen with many MMOs, they are essentially the last step in any franchise. Once you have turned them into an MMO it essentially becomes the venue for all other advances in the story. I am sure that is not a business decision they are willing to make with one of their largest and most successful franchises. They have people buying one, maybe even two or three of every version for each console, plus there are those that buy the console just for the new Pokemon game. It would be a fantastic IP and a breath of fresh air in the MMO genre, but from a business standpoint I cannot say that I blame them for not "considering" an MMO when they already have both kids and adults paying a minimum of $50 every year or two, to buy what is essentially the exact same game, just ramped up a little bit.

Don't think that I am coming down on Pokemon fans, because I myself have been guilty of doing this many times, knowing full well how easy it is to make me buy essentially the same game over and over