Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:13AM (Unverified) said

I love cell-shaded graphics. Obviously, there's a time and place for it, so I wouldn't want to see it in some games. I think they're great, though, and am excited that games are going ahead with these graphics.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:15AM (Unverified) said

I hate cel-shading.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:26AM (Unverified) said

Cell shading was the first nail in the coffin for CO for me.

Others include attempting to go multi-platform and underhanded business practices.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:26AM Halldorr said

Kind of in the middle on them. I've come to realize I don't care for the ultra realistic graphics as they often feel drab to me but not sure if I like all out cartoon looking either. Games like Champions Online make sense to me since they feel like a comic book.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:34AM venekor said

The only game that has done cell shading right is Zelda: Wind Waker and every other game I've played with Cell Shading it just felt out of place and not done very well.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:37AM (Unverified) said

All the same. I have seen "realistic" engines that look like crap, and cel shaded like DOMO that feel great. All depends on the game.

DOMO looks good because they obviously wanted it to have that look and feel. When you get a smooth image in DOMO (for some reason on some machines there is some tweaking) it looks like a fun comic/cartoon, and works really well.

Beau

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 9:10AM (Unverified) said

I started playing Champions Online as one of the testers...i made it through 2 play sessions, and had to stop because of the cell shading. Now my wife plays because she doesn't mind it...me, I hate it.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:44AM (Unverified) said

Cell shading on a comic book game is just perfect IMO.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 8:47AM dudes said

Not liking it. Defines the borders to myself personally as cel-shaded: kids games, non cel-shaded (like Eve): Teen to Adult game.

WoW is just about bearable, but still way too cartoony. Just. Still, Blizz get away with it, since at least they are very, very colourful.

But personally, prefer a little more realistic, or at least non cel-shaded, like EVE.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 9:21AM (Unverified) said

I don't care what "type" of graphics the game has, as long as it looks decent and fits the mold, but more importantly PLAYS well.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 9:22AM (Unverified) said

Mmmm...Nope. Can't say that I do.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 11:06AM (Unverified) said

Teenagers, or more specifically, mouth-breathing tards, probably hate cel shading because of its "cartoon" appearance. Adults, or more specifically, old people who want to escape their horribly shitty lives, might enjoy it much more.

Me personally, I don't mind it as long as its done properly. AoC's photorealistic style worked for a while but eventually I noticed its imperfections. WoW's cartoon like models worked for a while but could use some shader and texture upgrades. So middle ground to me would be cel shading, as long as its done correctly it should be aesthetically pleasing to anyone.

Also, as long as animations, and art work are done right, all games boil down to their gameplay and story for me.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 11:26AM Teki said

Depends on the game.

EQ2 would be really bad as a Cel shaded game, but WoW works for the most part. I have given DOMO a try and it works well with it.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 11:31AM (Unverified) said

*Looks at article picture.

GAHHH! Anime!

*shudders*
*pokes out eyes with mechanical pencil*

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 1:57PM (Unverified) said

agreed. I'm not a fan of anime and unfortunately, somewhere along the line someone decided cel-shading=anime, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 11:45AM Deryk said

I believe Cryptic has stated somewhere that is possible to turn off the cel-shading in CO. I read it somewhere in an article or FAQ or forum post somewhere a long time ago.

So you might want to check into that before jumping to conclusions.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 3:58PM Its Utakata stupid said

That's a question I've always wanted to ask. Even if there is an optional away to tone it down.

'Cause one thing I really like about CoH was it's depth when it came to shading, yet it still gives that cartoony effect that I prefere for MMO's. And since there will be more customization in CO, I think the cel effect would distract and take away from my characters too much.

It's not I'm against the cel look...cause it really seems to work for DOMO.

Either way...could you possibley verify that for us? So we can know for sure.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 12:18PM (Unverified) said

Yes, they have their place and like someone mentioned, with a comic book sense they may be ok, but i prefer looks so real you can touch it in my games. If games could only look and run on normal rigs they way some trailers look, OhEMGee would that rock.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 1:03PM (Unverified) said

Yes! Cel shading looks better than "realistic" art on my old, slow computer.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 4:04PM cray said

I like the cel-shading technique for certain themes, superheroes, and fantasy. However it lends itself to be labeled as kiddie-style graphics by general observation.

But I also do like my superheroes and Fantasy games with realistic graphics. So it really depends on the individual games.