Posted: Mar 23rd 2009 10:21PM organiclockwork said

I don't usually disagree with your posts, but...

"For a game over six years old, FFXI keeps proving to its community that it can keep up with the features of newer MMOs."

Sorry, it's way behind the times in many respects. It has a variety of design decisions that are absolutely baffling and its UI is horrid horrid horrid, at least for PC players. Maybe they should dedicate a version update to hammering out those problems before adding in new stuff. Just a thought.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2009 10:40PM (Unverified) said

"Keeping up" with modern MMOs means EverQuest II, Age of Conan, Darkfall, etc. which all happen to be miming World of Warcraft. I wouldn't go so far as to say that's a good thing.

As an avid player of FFXI, I rather like the direction the game has taken instead of hopping on the WoW bandwagon. FFXI is most definitely a niche game, but I would prefer that it stays that way. The day they implement the carebear features that have made modern MMOs so popular is the day I unsubscribe.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 6:08AM organiclockwork said

Well, the thing about FFXI is that it's a very challenging and punishing game. The issue is, however, that half of the challenge comes from the game itself, and the other half from the game's clunky UI and odd design decisions, such as being unable to attack a mob for a certain duration after killing another one, allowing said mob to just demolish you while you watch if you happen to pull adds.

I like the game, I really do. But some of its design decisions are baffling, and the UI could use a bit of a make-over for PC users at least, especially in the realm of mouse-targeting.

But I really do like how challenging and punishing the game is, quirky design decisions aside.

Though there is a line between "carebear" and "user-friendly," and it wouldn't kill FFXI to at least scooch a little more into user-friendly territory, while remaining far from carebear-land. It's definitely doable. Fields of Valor is a great start.

When all is said and done, however, the game is still mostly a grindfest, and that needs to be remedied.

Posted: May 1st 2009 4:02PM (Unverified) said

Hey dude, what don't you like about the UI?
FFXI has been the MMO I've spent the longest on, about 4 years, and perhaps because of that reason and that it was my first MMO- I find the UI easier than other MMO's. I can't get the hang of the WoW layout at all, but obviously millions can.
Just wanted to know what parts you don't like about the UI, personally I think it's only flaw is that the compass should be a minimap like WoW..

I don't think many people bother with mouse targeting on it, TAB is usually quicker, or other macros. But I see where you're coming from on that. They're not going to alter that though, because they're trying to keep the 360ers and the PS2ers happy.

I agree that it is a punishing grind game. But if you're way into it, like I am and many others, it feels much more rewarding when you get new armor/equip/merits/levels/etc, and the challenge makes you feel like you've actually accomplished something, rather than in WoW where people can get to level 60 in a matter of weeks.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2009 10:22PM SirFenwick said

Now they just need a GFX update. Not the most important thing, but its looking way to crappy these days.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 9:32AM (Unverified) said

I disagree with the guy who said it needs more mouse function. it controls perfectly with the keyboard imo and their are various macros for targeting. And the graphics look fine imo especially for a 6+ year old game. I prefer them over WoWs and the spell effects are ALOT flashier.

Posted: Mar 24th 2009 11:52AM RogueJedi86 said

We're not saying don't keep everything on the keyboard, just add mouse functionality that replicates some of the keyboard stuff. The mouse cursor is so tiny in FFXI, you can't even use it to click around in the game. It's quite easy to lose your mouse location if you don't look hard. As is, the only thing I can use my mouse for that my keyboard can't do at all is rotating my camera in combat(the default keyboard keys navigate menus in combat).

They could enlarge the mouse cursor graphic as a start. That would help immensely, especially towards targetting, be it towards players or mobs. The mouse's problems are a big part of what makes the game so clunky. Lack of mouse support makes you feel like you're playing the game on the wrong platform when you use it on PC. Even if you've never played it on console, you can tell most of the controls are simply remapped ports over from the PS2 version.

I'll give you the graphics though, I've always said FFXI's graphics have aged a lot better than most other MMOs, since it's focused on the artwork, not the polygons. The art even seems to be able to hide the polygons so you can't see the blockiness even on close inspect. The emphasis on the artwork ages it well, and the jaggedy lines can easily be smoothed out in the FFXI graphics config(and in regedit if you're feeling bold).

Posted: Mar 25th 2009 6:12AM (Unverified) said

"Sorry, it's way behind the times in many respects." - thats not really right. You will see that many aspects FFXI had for years and would have been great innovations for any mmo are not even in sight of WoW (just to name a reference). Even now they are coming up with things like Level Sync and stuff others didnt even think of. Graphicwise u have to face that the game also came out on PS2 etc., therefore u have limitations u have to watch over u dont find on PCs.

Storylines, rewards, Cutscences and and and are all features making this mmo more unique than others. In todays battle of the MMOs sadly only the older ones survive like WoW, FFXI, Everquest etc., simply because of the sense of innovation. We all saw the downfall of AoC didn't we?

One Shots: A prince among men