Posted: Mar 20th 2009 7:14PM (Unverified) said

I want to get excited about this game so bad, but everytime I do I recall the fiasco about John Riccitiello saying it would be micro-transaction based. Just keep hoping the backlash that caused will be enough to keep them clear of that.

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 7:42PM Its Utakata stupid said

I understand how you feel, Mordredis...but I would wait till the game is more sus'd out before passing judgement. In the end the transaction model my change to pur sub based. I personnally think they will have to. Either way, I don't think this decision is in stone yet. And am I not sure everyone within the company was entirely too comfortable with this model when it was leaked if I recall correctly.

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 7:46PM (Unverified) said

I would point out that most developers and publishers don't commit to a pricing plan until they're quite close to launch.

And if the game was microtransactional in some way (like buying optional costumes or something minor) what's the harm? City of Heroes has been doing it for quite some time, and they're about to push out the Issue 14 Architect update, which is substantially awesome. Plus, their community it still thriving.

Hell, I'd wager that they've been making enough extra money from their microtransaction stuff that it's allowed for these extra robust free updates.

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 9:25PM Tom in VA said

I really don't get the visceral reactions against the MT model. If it's done badly, yes, it's awful -- but this is Bioware we're talking about. So, just chill until you see what it is.

I am not worried about the payment scheme for SWTOR. My gut feeling is that I'm gonna be willing to pay for this game in whatever way they offer to sell it. It sounds that good to me.

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 7:20PM Minofan said

For some reason I can watch the flamethrower clip over and over again...

Good stuff. : )

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 10:50PM Deck said

God I can't wait. I have to, but I so don't want to.

This game is going to ruin my life. But I don't care. Oh I am going to love it so!

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 11:45PM Triskelion said

Looks amazing, the armor appeals to me.

Can someone freeze me, like what Butters did to Cartman, and thaw me out when the game launches, or in Cartman's case when the Wii went public.

Posted: Mar 20th 2009 11:56PM (Unverified) said

I'm pretty amazed that Bioware can deliver videos of Bounty Hunters with jetpacks and flamethrowers and people still find something to complain about. This game looks like it's gonna be great. Yeah, microtransactions can mess up a game if they are done poorly, but as long as it doesn't unbalance the gameplay I see nothing wrong with it.

Posted: Mar 21st 2009 6:00AM venekor said

I have no problems with MT aslong as...

1. Theres no subscription
2. You can get it all via playing the game

Where SWG pissed me off is all the kool new stuff is TCG only and you can't get them via playing the game and it's like how about some content for the actual people who pay a monthly sub?

Onto the actual footage however.... I think for a 09/10 game it looks really dated, I mean the draw distance and view distance is pathetic and it looks no better than SWG apart from better particle effects and lighting.

I also hate the art style because it doens't feel like Star Wars and that Bounty Hunter armour just looks like a mess.

What made Star Wars great is everything felt used and real but this look it all feels brand new. The thing is you can't build massive worlds over night so having the reason that it's set thousands of years before the original isn't an excuse. It's to attract kids and no other reason.

Posted: Mar 21st 2009 11:35AM (Unverified) said

Moo,

You need to remember that they need to launch this game with the abilities to play on most computers, that said they are probably trying to show a bare bones approach to the samples. I played WoW for a long time before I actually stopped and even though I have a very strong PC, I still didn't choose to draw everything on my screen because I wanted to make sure it would still give me a smooth play the whole time in laggy situations or not. I am not a fan of playing with the video settings, I rather just play the game and not be annoyed.

You are probably thinking about the art that it should be beautiful and be extremely texturized. If you are gonna be successful in that regard then lets look at swg and wow. SWG was able to render some pretty amazing stuff back when it was released. This is almost a decade ago, almost. But most people didn't play at that level in fact you had many users complain about the lag from graphics and they were sent back to the video settings and have their stuff reduced to sometimes down to minimum settings, now you take wow, its really is an amazing thing, that if you look up closely, they detail of their art is not great on the characters equipment and so on, its got basic graphics but with great design and glowing effects. The fact that is so basic is that it makes the game play time smooth and lag-free. Personally I feel that WoW is so successful because it is playable and not a lag fest like SWG was. Playable with good graphics with way up on top of the list for the majority of people vs. Top-Notch graphics with lag fests. One thing is for sure, this game is going to come out almost a decade after original release of SWG and WoW, many things have been learned in the process, and I am sure the developers are looking at it.

One thing I will complain about this game is that there is not enough news. I want to read more of it from Bioware, not the rants and childish discussions you would get at the official game forum. I would be happy with a daily blog update from someone at Bioware.

Posted: Mar 21st 2009 2:07PM (Unverified) said

Freakin AWESOME!! I was so hoping they would be in the game as I don't wanna be just one of a trillion Jedi's. That is the best intro of a class for a game I've EVER seen. The whole presentation is beautiful.

Global Chat: Through a monitor, darkly