Posted: Mar 17th 2009 5:18PM koehler83 said

1-10? Go out to West Sarutabaruta (You should be Windurstian or you fail) and fight 'Even Match' monsters heading northwest to the corner of the map finishing at Giant Bees. Beware of Goblins and Yagudo, they aggro by sight. /heal after every fight if necessary but avoid it if you can to Exp Chain for more experience points. You'll be 10 in an evening on any job.

You can handle 'Tough' monsters easily enough on most jobs till 10 for even more exp.

Posted: Mar 17th 2009 5:31PM (Unverified) said

I'm loving these guides. I picked up a copy of FF for my PC and Xbox (each was only $7 at Target) about six months ago, but only played it for a few days before quitting in frustration and moving onto something else. I'll admit that I never really gave it a chance.

Right now, I'm thinking about playing a new-ish MMO and am considering giving it a real try after reading the past few guides you've done.

Posted: Mar 17th 2009 9:10PM GreenArmadillo said

I remember when I hit level 10 in FFXI, another player "helpfully" informed me that I should be wearing earrings, and, when I asked, even told me what the earrings I should be wearing were called. Said items cost 40,000 gil each on the auction house. I had been doing reasonably well selling crystals to higher level characters, but I still only had something like 8K gil at that point.

In short, I'm looking forward to hearing about "community etiquette" next time out.

Posted: Mar 17th 2009 10:19PM ultimateq said

I am thinking that I might splurge and get rolling in this game.

Posted: Mar 18th 2009 12:24AM (Unverified) said

1-10 in Vana'diel is the eaisest leveling you will see in the game. Even since I started playing in late 2003 when the game was first released in the U.S., it's been the easiest part in terms of leveling. Since I've retired in late 2007 just after the most recient expansion, ive found the gameplay to be lacking in the end-game. Thats what really matters here; the end game content. If your not prepared to pay in the tens of millions of gil, then you will not have a chance to play endgame content, ever, period. No player who has a endgame linkshell that has been playing since early 2005 will not recruit you unless you have the appropriate armor and weapons. Any endgame linkshell established after that time period in my opinion has no where near the experience to do endgame content.

Only if the new players would have experienced the inflation problems between 2005-2006; then you would know what it means to spend gil, and waste your life in front of this game.

I do not suggest starting this game, as it will rob you of your life outside of it because it is so demanding. That being said, if you do decide to start playing FFXI, a word of advice; don't let this game take your real life away.

Eldan, WAR 75 (And a myriad of other jobs), Garuda Server, 2003-2007.

Posted: Mar 18th 2009 9:14AM koehler83 said

That's BS.

I've seen players start from nothing become top tier end game players in under 6 months. It's simply a matter of attitude.

You are absolutely right that endgame linkshells require very particular requirements in gear and skill for particular jobs (many jobs being utterly useless for many or all endgame tasks). But if you ask the right questions and follow the instructions given, there's no reason you couldnt start today and still take part in everything the game has to offer.

You cannot expect to start today and EVER expect to be leading an endgame linkshell. You can certainly expect to find linkshells willing to take you in if you have a good attitude and are willing to learn.

Posted: Mar 18th 2009 9:56AM (Unverified) said

True, but they have to be willing first. I guess that's only a problem though on Garuda, people were extremely picky, and if your missing only 1 piece of gear you wouldn't get into the linkshell. It must be less stressful on the other servers.

People who play however and get to end-tier in under 6 months are playing more then they should overall, which is bad for their health. Just saying.

Posted: Mar 18th 2009 9:56AM (Unverified) said

Come to think of it that almost makes me want to transfer servers if people are willing...ooo...bad thoughts there...

Posted: Mar 18th 2009 4:49PM (Unverified) said

No longer playing FFXI, but played for several years. That said, I was literally LOL at the caption for your screenshot of the Valkurm Dunes. HAH! Very fitting.

:-D

Posted: Mar 18th 2009 6:03PM RogueJedi86 said

Dunes aren't required at 10. People keep saying I need to go there, but I'm 14 and soloing in Tahrongi Canyon just fine. Doing Field of Valor quests in Tahrongi, doing just fine. Just gotta Check mobs before I engaged, and watch out for Goblins/Yagudo, and I can survive. Easy Prey are the ones to go for, Decent Challenges if you're buffed up and ready to go. I'm solo and doing fine. I'm playing a Taru RDM if that helps, but I haven't felt a requirement for groups yet to push me to the Dunes.

Posted: Mar 19th 2009 2:00AM (Unverified) said

Man, I love this game. I used to play all the time. The art design really breathes life into the world, I still enjoy just running around and exploring. I love the FF style and I think the stylization they use really complements the environment, it works really nicely in an MMO framework.

Valkurm Dunes! The Dunes! So many good times there. Killing fish by the beach, the little town in the middle, the rare skeleton (if I remember correctly) that would only come out for so long in the middle of the night.

It's a great proving ground to grow into the more advanced parts of the game. I tried to get back into it recently but unfortunately, I don't think this game has aged very well. Mostly graphically, I should say, it really has lagged behind. Some of the textures of the environment make me feel like I'm playing Duke Nukem or something.

But they've really improved the core mechanics, like with the integration of level sync. If they would upgrade the graphics a little I would be more inclined to play.

I'm anxiously awaiting whatever they're planning to unveil in June. Don't let me down SE.

Great game ultimately, especially if graphics aren't much of an issue, I would recommend this game to anyone.

Posted: Mar 19th 2009 12:07PM RogueJedi86 said

Like you, I like the graphics. They have an art style that ages well. The only real negative I'd give to the graphics these days are the very blurry looking textures on the ground and buildings. Like looking at a distant building when you're very near-sighted. But at least the character and npc models age well. They have that style that looks good and remains distinct, hiding the polygons used on models.

I don't think they can increase the graphics though, since they have to worry about the PS2's graphics capabilities for all updates. Lowest common denominator so to speak. There are a few registry tweaks you can do on PC to make it look better if you need.

As for what's next, Square Enix just announced Augments, which would work like WoW enchants, letting you customize your gear a bit more. Augmenting binds them to you though, so you can't trade or auction them. Interesting nonetheless.

Posted: Mar 19th 2009 2:45PM (Unverified) said

I agree, the NPC's and characters still look great, they could use some anti-aliasing but their designs are very good both stylistically and technically.

I never thought about the limits of the PS2, that makes obvious sense now though. I'll look up those registry tweaks I think I had heard of them in the past just forgot about them.

Augments sound interesting, a little more depth in the armor system would be nice. I still wish they would augment the graphics! :P

Posted: Mar 19th 2009 10:16PM RogueJedi86 said

That's where the tweaks are. Nothing too drastic, just smooths out character lines and some texture blurriness. They have pictures of the various settings so you know how they look.

XI's emphasis on the art rather than the polygons helps the look. Gotta hope that XI-2 does the same. High polygon games are a dime a dozen, but they age quickly as better graphics come along. The artsy looking ones age better, since they're going for something else.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant