Posted: Mar 16th 2009 3:52PM (Unverified) said

Hey! Fellow Guidie "Lud” Great you posted him. As for zerg being bad? Large group acing fast to engage..

Sun Tzu Chapter 2

"Thus, though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays."

i.e. warband takes 5 min to coordinate an attack gets rolled by 2 x warbands using its sheer numbers to act fast and win. Seems solid to me.

I think folks jsut get mad because they got stomped. I know I have been "rolled" and been little bitter after licking my wounds back at warcamp.

Posted: Mar 16th 2009 4:14PM LaughingTarget said

Beat me to Sun Tzu.

There is an overarching theme to any battle: do what it takes to ensure victory. If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing something wrong.

Posted: Mar 16th 2009 5:26PM (Unverified) said

It's awesome that the word zerg has become so popular. It's so perfect sounding for what it describes and so evocative that even people who have never played SC still know exactly what it means.

4v4 BGH hydra drop gogogo!

On topic, I think what I would look forward to most in WAR would be a reworking of the CC abilities. They gave every single class some form of soft CC, many of them AOE. I think they did it so that everyone would have an out of some sort when outnumbered or outclassed. But whatever the reason they went totally overboard.

Some of the tactics described in that article seem interesting in theory, but in practice I don't think they'd play out so neatly because of this. (Also, "Rift Pit" is one of the most irritating things I've ever encountered in any game.)

It's like every class has some sort of aoe knockback/root/snare/knockdown ability of some sort, and they are all on pretty short cooldowns. There's so much freaking CC happening in big fights that it loses it's meaning because as soon as you use your ability and create an opening for your team, someone else wanders along and uses their ability on you. And then along comes someone else from your backlines to use THEIR ability, repeat ad nauseum.

So every class has big CC abilities and they are constantly being used like every 2 seconds by someone during battles. It really makes combat feel (imo) like spamming abilities asap is the best tactic, and makes the classes lose a lot of their individuality.

Posted: Mar 16th 2009 7:53PM (Unverified) said

agreed, the T4 game currently does have too much CC, and I've seen quite a few people keeping an alt in T3 to enjoy the RVR without constant CC everywhere.

Hopefully Mythic will at least unify CC so that it's easier to understand and control. (ie put CCs into groups, make the timers more consistent)

Posted: Mar 16th 2009 9:25PM (Unverified) said

I usually find (as a healer) if I am getting CC'ed it's because I didn't think about my positioning or I wasn't watching the flow of battle close enough.

I realise it is a different story for melee, but my guild can usually manage to take down much bigger groups (33 vs our 16 most recently) by thinking about our position, having well set up groups, coordinating on vent and acting together as one.