Posted: Mar 13th 2009 8:13AM JohnD212 said

I had my fill of WAR and I don't think I hear enough that would encourage me to give it another go. What bothered me most was how unbalanced certain classes were...I played 4 different classes to get a feel and found each one lacking in some areas.

WAR is a beautiful game that ran fine on my system but I just didn't feel the fun. I much more prefer LOTRO...beautiful game also but with crafting and fun. I also don't like a game where everyone looks EXACTLY the same as everyone else. I would buy three different pieces of chest armor...and each time it would look identical to the previous one. That does not motivate well.l

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 8:35AM (Unverified) said

Nope, not going back... waiting for star trek online, AION and SW:TOR

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:04AM MrGutts said

I second that, and waiting on the same games. Weird..

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 11:00AM Mr Tastix said

I'm still in the judging stage for Warhammer Online myself. But as for waiting for Star Trek Online and AION, both of those games look as mediocre as Age of Conan and WAR did on their first days.

Star Trek as a program is one thing, but as a game is another, and honestly, how come all the goddamn MMO's are coming out now? YOU'RE YEARS LATE PEOPLE.

As for The Old Republic, I'm waiting out for this one personally but do not have my hopes up that it will be the WoW Killer. I loved Knights of the Old Republic, I love BioWare in fact, I think they're a brilliant developer that does the Star Wars community well but they're entering a whole new world, one which is already completely dominated, and just by two games (by two, I am referring to WoW and LotRO) let alone all the crappy F2P ones out there.

TOR sounds good in theory, but in practice, will it live up to the hype? And will it live up to World of Warcraft? Here's hoping.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 8:37AM (Unverified) said

O yea, wanted to add:

Running around in circles to capture objectives and keeps.... FAIL!

Running around in circles = FAIL!

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 8:39AM Benicio said

Wasnt going back when you asked the same question last week. Still not going back now.

This game had so much potential but it ended up falling far too short of the mark. Remember the goal of realm battles on a massive scale?

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 8:49AM Valdur said

I won't return because nothing has changed that much and the game still suffers from instability.I agree with John on the fact that every single armor looks the same.I`ll wait till the expansion to go live and see if Mythic/GoA has found a way to keep their servers from crashing during ORvR.

For now I'll keep enjoying my time in AoC :)

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:00AM (Unverified) said

Well, ORVR server crashes are a thing of the past now, because of changes in how Fortress raids work. They are still laggy, but the server doesn't actually go down.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 11:02AM CCon99 said

True, but their "fix" was pretty lame and now only a lucky few level 40's can participate in Fortress sacking/defending. Want to help your realm take a fortress? You better be level 40 and one of the first on scene, otherwise you get auto kicked by the server once the limit is reached. They designed those fortresses to be huge and meant for huge fights, but 40v40 is now just a huge waste of space.

Same thing with sacking/defending a city, if you're under level 40 or aren't the first few there, you're shit out of luck. So much for contributing to your realm.

I really wish they would have just used the DAoC engine upgraded with WAR's theme, graphics, and collision detection. That would have been a game!

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 11:44AM (Unverified) said

Honestly, I play on a populated server and I've never had trouble getting into a fortress raid or defense. It's endgame, if your a level 31 wanting to go to a fortress raid you shouldn't be there anyways.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 1:26PM CCon99 said

I played on Phoenix Throne, so we were always getting tossed out of the Fortress area, even in the off hours, and even being level 40.

It's just a crappy game mechanic, at least in DAoC a character under level 50 could still pull their weight during epic relic raids/defense. They could run wood to the keep to repair doors, bring or run siege equipment, or even scout the areas for enemy movement.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 8:48AM Thac0 said

I wasn't going back when you asked the same question last week. Still not going back now! They didn't even invite me back because i had my subscription run out in February (although i haven't played it since November)

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:05AM (Unverified) said

I took my 10 free days last night because, hey, they are free.

The game was much more stable for me. Much less lag when using abilities, less delay in firing off spells, much less lag. That was the good.

The average was the bonus items, which I guess are giving me bonuses sitting in bag slots? I couldn't figure out where to equip these otherwise. And I got some trophies which do nothing and I haven't figured out where to put them.

I found enough people playing in Tier 1 RvR to make it semi-enjoyable to do ORvR rather than scenarios. I think I like the idea of that better as you can be doing some questing at the same time.

I restarted with a level 10 warrior priest very early in the xp bar, and got over half way to 11. I think one thing they did was clearly try to get the same amount of levelling gameplay out of only 40 levels, so even an early level like 11 starts to feel like a grind.

Reknown was trickling in at one or two points at a time, but I wasn't really trying to level this effectively.

Overall, and only in tier 1 as I could see it, the game ran better, there were more people around in ORvR (although not tons of people, only just enough people), and the overall gameplay of PvE and levelling remained somewhat bland and uninspiring for such a polished product. If I am stuck having to do PvE to level, then frankly WoW and LoTRO have much better storytelling than WAR, and often much better NPC AI at the lower levels to help with immersion. Just my own singular opinion.

I might be a sucker and stay for 40 days and give them $15 more, but not much more after that I think.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 10:56AM Mr Tastix said

"If I am stuck having to do PvE to level, then frankly WoW and LoTRO have much better storytelling than WAR, and often much better NPC AI at the lower levels to help with immersion."

While I agree that the immersion in WoW and LotRO is better and that the storytelling is too I do not agree with the starting statement.

On WoW (cannot speak for LotRO) the main part of leveling is PvE, either through quests or instances. You simply CANNOT level though PvP because you do not gain experience for it, therefore you can't compare WAR and WoW in that regards.

As for storyline, while WAR's is REALLY bland, Blizzard had already released 3 Warcraft games before releasing World of Warcraft, so they have many years to improve upon the lore of the Warcraft world.

I don't think this excuses Warhammer Online's bad storyline, though. Because Warhammer has been around for years, and the lore behind Warhammer is as extensive as Warcraft's lore so how come WoW has more lore/storyline elements than WAR, at the moment?

Read that last statement: "...at the moment." WoW has been out for four years, WAR hasn't been out for a year yet. Give it time, we'll soon see if certain plot elements change or not, or if really is just some big block of land where the developers love RvR and think it should be the main feature (bullshit, IMO) and there's jack shit else to do.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 10:15PM (Unverified) said

Those rewards are talismans. You put them in the talisman slots in your gear.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:06AM Holgranth said

I took a little while to think about this yesterday before I uninstalled WAR yet again from my computor. Last time the game sucked this time I just got bored, I figured out a lot of the main reasons I got bored and realised that none of them have really changed.

Class balance was never a huge problem for me. However I got really bored really fast of quests/PQs I can take your standerd Kill ten rats anyday but Wrath Gate/Ice Crown/Zul'Drak and even doing some of the classic attunment quests for the heck of it upped my expectations as far as having SOME really epic quests to do.

Never found any of the WAR quests to have much story, and what storys there were made the same mistake the Vanilla WoW did stretching it out over 4-5 levels so you have to do other quests in between to get those levels totally disrupting any sense of continuity.

On top of that RvR started out awsome got boring fast. Lay seige to keep, take keep, log out discover enemy has retaken keep, lay seige to keep, lagg like a bitch when larger forces collide.

Battlefield objectives felt kinda dumbed down, "Click on flag to take objective" They really could have taken a leaf out of Warcraft's world pvp and done the sliding bar route based on numbers.

Besides that theres a LONG list of minor nit picks that annoyed me. WAR just failed to hold my interest, I've gone back to Wrath which plays smoother, has better quests, and I stick with my previous assertion lake wintergrasp and strand of the ancients have a better (by which I mean FUNNER) mass scale pvp system than WAR.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:09AM Holgranth said

Agreed with this the grind starts at the early levels which means you spend a LOT of time with only a few buttons.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:33AM Distaste said

Game still has a horrible endgame so there is no point in going back yet. Even in 3 months when the new pointless RvR dungeon comes out there is no reason to play it.

Not to mention that the game does nothing to help the losing side get back on their feet and even spits on them while their down. This just adds to the problems because they snowball and eventually the losing realm quits/rerolls, which kills the server.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:34AM (Unverified) said

Since I feel I've wasted far too much time on this game already, I'll simply say 'No'.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:38AM (Unverified) said

Also...over a dozen comments so far, in little over a half hour, not one that's positive. Rather telling, I think.