Posted: Mar 12th 2009 12:25PM (Unverified) said

This is absurd. It's like Starbucks patenting "Roasting & Brewing Coffee Beans" and then suing people for doing the same. There is no other practical way to create coffee than by Roasting and Brewing it. Similarly, there is no other practical way to create a virtual environment than by using spacial perceptions in a 3D environment.

There is no patent on using lift to achieve flight. Similarly, there should be no patent on using 3D perception and a personal perspective to achieve a virtual 3D environment.

The only patents that should exist are to the engines that drive them.

Worlds clearly took advantage of the innocence that the law has for new technology to get it's patent, and the frivolity of their lawsuit will hopefully shed light on this.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 12:31PM (Unverified) said

Use of lift for flight was (admittedly only) a part of US Patent 821,393. Filed by Henry Toulmin on behalf of the Wright brothers.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 12:34PM TheJackman said

A other hit for NCSoft. They got a real bad start of the year! Please that they go behind second life..... It will learn them to steal my idea (I did make the same thing 4 years before Second life was even heared of called new Amsterdam the game did fail however)

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 1:12PM (Unverified) said

This hasn't been laughed out of court yet? The patent is preposterous, the lawsuit even more so. Worlds.com is a do-nothing company making a money grab based on ludicrous patents that the other companies didn't think to file because it there seemed to be no legal basis for it. How you can file a patent on something that already exists and you didn't invent I don't really understand.

Oh hey, I'm going to file a patent on "interfacing over networked computer connections using a human-machine interface and textual inputs". All you commenters better get ready for a lawsuit!

Sigh.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 1:17AM (Unverified) said

Avatars have been around for over 10 years. I still remember running around in Active Worlds with my ugly avatar. I don't understand how patents like this can ever be valid. It's sad when companies like Worlds.com start sueing people simply because their own platform sucks...

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:49AM (Unverified) said

Why would these little turds even come out and say this? Blizzard will be next. What the hell.
Just like a lot of you have said, talk about biting off more than you can chew.
Blizzard will Darth Vadar these little shits, choking the life right out of them.
This is such bullshit.
And I'm no huge fan of the Blizzard empire, but its just wrong for these shyster lawyers to start claiming all these ideas are theirs.
I hope NC Soft (with Blizzard's "help") smashes these friggin pigs.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 11:20AM (Unverified) said

It seems like they're just doing it to be douchebags. And, money, I guess. =/ Unless they fail! lol.

Posted: Mar 15th 2009 7:17PM (Unverified) said

After having been into shiteworlds.com to have a look Im totally amazed at how backward the whole environment looks. Its not even very 3D looking, the first Doom looked better. I have been building in virtual worlds now for 2 years and even I can make something look better than that and its a hobby for me.
I have a feeling that its being kept deliberately old looking as a ruse for the court case.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 4:34PM Freeballer said

sad pathetic people trying to make a easy buck at a time where everybody is having troubles. I'm guessing it gets tossed out, I certainly hope that nobody takes these jokers seriously and counterclaim, slamming them into the ground

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 6:30PM (Unverified) said

If things like this win all it will really do is force innovative companies to relocate themselves to places that don't enforce our patent liability system.

Intellectual property does deserve protection. But open piracy does not.

Posted: Mar 15th 2009 5:03PM Doran7 said

This has to be a farce. Really, their claim is more ridicules then the Compu-serve claim to gif... At least in Compu-serves case there was a slight case with actually graphic file type they could point to. With this they are just generally claiming an idea... an idea that already had been explored by the time they submitted their patent.

I was on People link, an online service in the early 80's, on my Commodore 64. I'm sure this pre-dates World.Com’s claim. People Link featured a virtual world with people shaped avatars that walked around the world and interacted. There were online classes with real certificates that were mailed to the participants. There were world events. It was rudimentary but the concept was there in the same form (multi-player packet transfer in a virtual world).

World.com did not invent this nor do they have a leg to stand on other than their Johnny-come-lately patent.

Posted: Mar 25th 2009 1:51AM (Unverified) said

Ample evidence of prior art:

First M.U.D. 1978