Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:07AM (Unverified) said

And it is things like this that make me wonder if our current patent system can be saved or if we just need to throw the whole thing out and start over.

It has just become a way for legal firms to get paid for other peoples work.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:23AM Arkanaloth said

pushing around NCSoft or SL isn't necessarily difficult, they go up against a bigger dog, like Blizz, SOE, etc... I suspect they'll bite off more than they can chew. They better have an ironclad case or this will be an entertainingly short issue.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:29AM Krystalle Voecks said

That's why they're suing NCsoft right now, we suspect. Harder to defend against it if they've got a successful court case ruling under their belt that their patents are legit.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:46AM Arkanaloth said

makes sense.. try to setup legal precedent. But I still think they're in for a bigger mess than they suspect even if they win against NCSoft.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 12:17PM (Unverified) said

If the people at Blizzard are smart, which they are, they will "help" NCSoft win. This reminds me of the case where some guy said he owned the moon.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:24AM (Unverified) said

Well when you can claim to have invented the idea of a "marketing company" http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2007/11/ferguson-challe.html or even patent patent trolling http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008/11/junk-patents.html there's something seriously wrong. Unfortunately these things don't get laughed out of court.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:58AM (Unverified) said

Patent laws like this actually justifies any kind of piracy one can think of. It's clear violence over any development with all the, pardon my openness, bastards wanting to grab a piece of cake of other people's success.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:26AM (Unverified) said

I hate NCSoft, but this is Bantha poo-doo. I hope all these companies counter sue for lost time, and legal fees, and worlds.com and all the lazy cunts they employ all end up in jail or dead.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:14AM (Unverified) said

HEY! I didn't confirm this one! Delete it! I thought better of this comment!

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:38AM (Unverified) said

This represents everything that is wrong w/ our legal system, and our society as a whole. I'd wish death and injury against World.com's employees and families, but I don't want to get banned from commenting... so I won't :)

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:55AM (Unverified) said

Gotta love it when a company sucks so much and makes such terrible products that they have to resort to court cases to try and pick up the numbers...

Also gotta love it when they go for a smaller company first rather than taking on the big guys...

Sigh, what a pathetic attempt at "justice" from a pathetic company. One can only hope a decent judge is presiding...

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:23AM (Unverified) said

This is why we like Creative Commons. This sort of protection stifles creativity.

The other interesting about this, all legalize aside, is looking at this from a purely human point of view. Let's assume they win all of these things. Ultimately the cost of this would get passed along to us, either through increased product cost or loss of the product altogether. Now, I'm Chaz McWorld.com. If I knew I could make a 'lot' of money, but it would hurt a large number of people, would I do it?

I know my answer.

I unfortunately know the all-to-common answer that Chaz would pick. It's why my country is in the shape it's in now. It's also why it's a shame the asteroid missed last week, and maybe we ought to let the bees have a stab at it.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:31AM (Unverified) said

Trivia note: Thomas Edison was sued for patent infringement over the lightbulb, but settled out-of-court.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:46AM Lethality said

Yes, and who gets paid in the end? Lawyers, and companies who couldn't produce their own products well enough to be relevant.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:42AM (Unverified) said

I love how patent trolls do nothing about this until they see very rich companies and then decide to go sue. I guarantee if WoW wasn't successful we probably wouldn't have seen this lawsuit.

I see these kinds of lawsuits as preventing innovation. As I am pretty ignorant regarding the patent/legal system I will not say much, but I do hope Worlds.com loses the fight miserably.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:54AM dudes said

Boycott Worlds.com! Boo!

They should stop trying to steal other peoples hard earned and hard paid money!

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 9:16AM wjowski said

What exactly are they making that we should be boycotting?

Posted: Mar 15th 2009 6:29PM dudes said

Worlds.com

Posted: Jun 26th 2009 8:35AM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure about how it works in America but there is a reasonable life span on patent protection (as such they have to be removed or renewed).

Especially in the technology field when something becomes so easy to do, so common and through a variety of different means that a patent no longer holds water. I was reading up on this and apparently the company has a lot of things on its side from attacking a foreign company to an expected sympathetic jury.

However if they attempt to take on Activision-Blizzard I expect they will be crushed and even NCsoft is not going to be a push over, regardless of their situation in the west.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 12:28PM (Unverified) said

Seriously? I was playing UO in middle school, long before this "patent" was granted. How on Earth did they even get granted in the first place?

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014