Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:15AM koehler83 said

• 1 heart
FFXI is the only MMO to ever pull me in enough to take part in endgame. The fact that it was on console certainly contributed to that, as it was a much cheaper alternative to a PC that could run it. By the time LotRO came about, upgrading my PC was a more reasonable endeavour.

As of now, the platform isnt as important as gameplay. What is important to me, is that the mentality that MMORPG = Clickin' ceases.

Console controls can work very well for MMOs if implemented properly. They can also co-exist with Clickin' just fine. Consoles add the benefit of comfort on the couch, with the big screen and sound system that is much more conducive to long-haul gaming which MMOs focus on.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:27AM (Unverified) said

I LOVE my Xbox. But I would never play an MMO on it. I love my mouse and keyboard too much. I also plan on playing Champions. PC...NOT XBox.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:31AM (Unverified) said

Let me add more substance:

Playing on the XBox could mean that my room and I would not be able to play together as we currently do. Roleplay would be completely out. If someone was using the television, I could not play the game. Console MMOs make me think of shooters and pvp...something I very much hate.

I will tell you...when I heard that Champions was gonna nix the XBox version for launch, I was elated.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:31AM (Unverified) said

Not important at all because I can't play them with my husband. (We have 2 PCs but not intending to buy a second console and TV just for MMOs)

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:39AM (Unverified) said

Not important at all. In our particular household, there is one console in the living room and four people (two adults, two children) who vie for time on it. I had a hard enough time squeaking in there to get a workout in on the Wii, much less spending hours on end playing an MMO. PC games work much better for me, and considering the social aspect of MMO's I'm much more inclined to play one where I have a keyboard handy (or my keyboard isn't placed somewhere awkward like my lap).

That being said, I've always thought it would be neat to see a raid boss on the 42" HD TV with surround sound kicking, but I'd never do it on a full time basis.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:48AM (Unverified) said

While I spent a considerable amount of time playing the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of Final Fantasy XI, it was Everquest Online Adventures and its subsequent expansion that really had me rapt. I played all the way through the end-game and continued to play until the one and only remotely-populated server had all but dried up.

For a number of reasons, EQOA is a telltale example of how console MMORPGs *can* work—it's just a shame that the initial outing of SOE was a little too dry for most.

Some key design decisions were made to facilitate gameplay of an MMO on a console, which is why the game has some times been unfairly labeled as "watered down." Most notably, the game's control system all but eliminated the need for a keyboard. Anyone who has played FFXI on a console at any remotely difficult area or boss fight can attest to the fact that FFXI demands a keyboard. It just isn't possible to manage macros as quickly and efficiently with the controller, and that renders the controller all but useless for FFXI.

However, EQOA was designed from the ground up to be perfectly playable with only the control; the keyboard is purely for chat (though it can be used to play for super diehards). Likewise, combat was somewhat simplified to make everything work. And it worked well, for what it was.

Because of this, it was much easier to sit comfortably on the couch and enjoy a raid. Had the game shipped with voice chat, it very well could've been the first break-through console game.

As far as I'm concerned, EQOA and FFXI are the only two "true" MMOs on a console (Phantasy Star is more of a co-op action RPG with MMO trading imo), and EQOA was the only game to really *be* a console MMO from the ground up.

Ultimately, I think there's definitely room for some really good console MMOs. It's just going to take the right kind of mindset from developers from conceptualization through to distribution to make the game work. The tech and playerbase is there; the developers just have to make it happen the right way.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:49AM oGGe said

Not important at all... I need my mouse and keyboard to play a mmo... :) Besides my wife would not like it if I occupied the TV to play games for hours...

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 8:55AM Dlangar said

I tend to agree with some of the comments here. While I love console gaming, by far and large I still prefer my PC for the mmo experience. Additionally, I play with my family - we have five PC's in our house (includign laptops) but only one of each of the consoles.

But make no mistake, publishers are desparate to be the first to make that first killer mmo that works well on the console, because they huge potential there. But increasingly, I have come to believe people like the idea of a MMO on the console much more than they will the reality of it.

I also think the delays are indicative of just how of a challenge it's turning out to be to build that perfect blend of desktop experience and living room gaming. I chat about those difficulties quite a bit here:

Cheers!

Dlangar

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 9:04AM neowolf said

• 1 heart
Important enough to me. These days I do most of my gaming on my Wii and 360. Not having to play the upgrade game and run Windows makes my life easier. So naturally if I can get it for a console odds are higher I'll give it a shot. I've recently tried FFXI on the 360 and love it.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 9:55AM (Unverified) said

MMO titles important to me on a console? Not in the least. Actually, purchasing the 360 a few weeks back pretty much cemented my decision to give up the genre altogether on the PC, if not giving up PC gaming altogether. The upgrade game, and paying a monthly fee for a half-finished product more often than not, just holds no interest for me any further. That, and I'd forgotten how nice it was to be able to a game!

Might give FFXI a shot though, just to see what it's like.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:00AM neowolf said

• 1 heart
FFXI feels like an older game, but I find that to be a perk personally. Though it's hard to go too wrong trying it out now that GameStop's carrying the game for $15 with all four expansions.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 9:16AM smoke2000 said

same as most others , not important at all to me.

I would never play an mmo on a console, I only even bought consoles because of certain games not being available on pc.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 9:58AM (Unverified) said

Not at all. PC gamer here. In fact I hope we do not get dumb-down console MMOs poorly ported to PC if the console MMO takes off.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 1:11PM Misterlee said

Not at all. I really don't think they will ever work, not in the way MMO's currently work and not the way consoles are currently set up.

How will you ever have regular content updates and expansions to a game that has to run from a disk? Sure you can download updates to games but they are pretty small, nothing like the kind of regular content updates that MMOs get.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 3:52PM (Unverified) said

The Lost and Damned is almost 2GB. The 20GB version of the 360 is admittedly limited, but the PS3 has 60GB standard. Only the Arcade doesn't have a hard drive.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:51AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Console MMOs will only be inherited in the next generation of consoles, due to the need for hardware. While FFXI has fit this role its still a niche audience, which is something console game developers dont work on so often due the need of popularity and buisness sales.

I would like to mention a couple titles that really came close to MMO capability: Phantasy Star Online* and Monster Hunter (Series) You'll find that more people played those in their day than they play FFXI on console and some current underachieving mmos.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:53AM (Unverified) said

Not important to me at all.

The biggest hurdle for me would be the lack of easy communication, easy access to macros, and like you said, the ability to alt-tab to the net. I imagine the entire process would be very cumbersome on a console.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 10:54AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
However, consoles necessitate the need for an industry in console mmo's because people simply are not PC friendly or financially able to aford a good PC. Take WoW for example, it can run on most computers, consoles while having low capacity for heavy performance in comparison are much more affordable.
Make a game that is simplistic in design but develops into something complex and fun with replayable endgame and they'll have a hit with console consumers.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:14AM (Unverified) said

It's important to me. I'm not knocking PC MMOs, and I certainly hope that the rise of console MMOs won't dumb down the PC experience for anyone. But in my life, it would be much easier and convenient to have the console MMO experience, and if I'm able to play across platforms with the last of my friends that haven't bought an Xbox, that'll be a nice bonus.

In the weeks leading up to the EQ anniversary, I've come to realize that I'm not that the same online gamer that I was nine or ten years ago. I'm married and my "man cave" has all but vanished. I'm less inclined to sit in the corner on my PC, and my daughter is in the phase where she would love nothing more than to pound on my notebook computer with her sippy cup. I can at least fool her by letting her play with a non-operational console controller when I'm on Xbox.

I really have to plan when I can play EQ2 or WoW, and when I finally do it's rarely as enjoyable as some of my console multiplayer games like Left4Dead. I find myself soloing much more that I like. Whereas, on my Xbox, all the party interactions run smoother. Everyone is in voice chat, and we all have the same system specs.

I still think that for the next few years the "ultimate" MMO experience will be on the PC. People can roleplay, and raids will run much more smoothly. Patching works better, and the developers can get changes into the game faster than having to go through the Microsoft and Sony certification process to get new content into the games.

For me, it'll be a good thing. But I'm not holding my breath for the right one to come along. I'll keep enjoying my PC plaform as much as I can until I just makes sense for me to stop.

Posted: Mar 12th 2009 11:21AM CCon99 said

I'm against the idea of cross platform MMORPG's for console and PC collectively. When they try to make a game for both platforms, the game tends to be dumbed down. They should either create the game for PC or for Console from the beginning of development and then create a strong game catered to that platform.

When you try to create a game for both, you get a game like STO that looks to be an arcade style game created for singleplayer gameplay and won't allow the options that traditional MMORPG players will expect.

One Shots: Nowhere to hide