Posted: Mar 11th 2009 8:55AM (Unverified) said

I rarely "attend" these kinds of chats, but if it's a game I'm playing or that I'm interested in, then I will usually look over the log when it's posted.

And that's the real value of dev chats, I've always thought. You're not going to get any real significant amount of people in a chatroom for it, and if you did it would be almost untenable, but if the chat is done right, the log will have reach and will be a positive publicity factor.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 9:45AM MrGutts said

Dev chats can be very boring. These are the folks you toss food and mountain dew over the cube walls and tell them to keep working.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 10:35AM (Unverified) said

No. If anything really juicy comes from one, and it’s a game I’m interested in, more then likely it’s posted on Massively anyway.

Honestly, I feel like the gap between players and developers is getting wider and wider. They release less valuable info in chats, and then they have less that can be manipulated and/or used as a weapon against them.

It actually reminds me of almost every single sports interview in the last 15 years. Same politically correct, non committal, uninformative answers. Once in a while you get someone that will actually open up a bit, but 90% of the time it’s bullshit. I don’t blame them though. It’s a C.Y.A world, and that’s what they have to do.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 11:29AM SkuzBukit said

JP, you took the words outta my mouth, I agree with what you said.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 11:06AM Evy said

I read the transcript after the fact, if it's a game I'm interested in. To my knowledge, no dev chat has ever occurred close enough to my home base to warrant a trip.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 3:54PM (Unverified) said

No, I don't bother.

If it's a good developer, these are nothing more than vapid PR opportunities. If it's a not-good developer, they are genuinely looking for a real dialogue with the fans. This is the reddest of red lights in my book.

Here's why I'm leery of devs who claim to have a "relationship" with the fan base: To me, that says they either 1) are wasting time on pointless geek-talk-fueled ego trips, or 2) lack confidence in their own design decisions. Neither scenario is conducive to a well-executed, timely end product.

Why I Play: ArcheAge