Posted: Mar 10th 2009 8:20AM krakead said

I'll be picking up a copy for my wife at least. She's always been kinda curious about Eve but put off by the vertical learning curve. But when I said some people had described it as 'Excel in space' her eyes lit up - she's an Excel genius and loves playing around with figures. I sent her a buddy account link and she's working her way through the tutorials and seems happy so far :)

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 8:25AM JohnD212 said

I've played the game on and off by downloading it and doing the trail version...and always really enjoyed it. When I see a box...I think it will be hard for me to resist buying it. I LOVES me some shiny new box art.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 9:32AM (Unverified) said

I'll be sorely tempted by this. It just depends on whether NZ gaming stores will stock much of them, and what it'll retail for.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 10:00AM Nottom said

I actually bought the original box version, which many people seem to forget, or were never aware of.

I'm not actually dying for a shuttle with more cargo capacity, so I think I'll forgo this new box.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 10:09AM (Unverified) said

Oh yes, its worth it just for the game time (60 days) which goes for about £35 here in the UK.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 11:11AM venekor said

Yeh I bought the original retail box too back in 2003 and I didn't know what the game was but after Planetside I got into mmorpgs and bought SWG and Horizons too that year lol. I played Everquest and UO in the 90's but back then my connection was 28.8k and the download times seemed long and kept cutting out that I never really bothered with online games until CS, RTCW and PSO.

I remember that retail box beign Orange with really poor art on the cover and you'd open the case up and it was a sticker that was falling off the inside of the case and a light blue CD that looked like it was Homemade. Frigging the game didn't even have any wrapping or anything.

I remember borrowing EQ off a mate who bought it in 1999 and using the CD key and giving him it back saying the game sucks it takes too long to login. So he tried it and said the CD key was in use and we didn't even know you could only use a cd key once lol... unlike other games.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 11:33AM Lethality said

I ordered it from Amazon, I hope it will ship today. I think this is a good time to jump into it and finally give it a try.

I am lured in by the depth and complexity, yet ironically I don't seem to have the patience to get thru the learning curve. Hopefully the new new player experience will help.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 11:57AM (Unverified) said

Last time I checked it was 2009. And you ask if I go to a store and buy a physical disk?

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 12:01PM (Unverified) said

ZOMG ur so bleeding edge can i has ur babees?!

*blinkblink

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 12:20PM (Unverified) said

Fair enough. :)

But I still think it's a bit old fashioned.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 12:28PM (Unverified) said

hehe ;p
Romance! Flavour! Vinyl Records!

Some of us are still endeared towards the tactile things in this life.
DVD cases, game boxes, books and such items still find space on my shelves because I love to display (trophy) them, and love to be able to pick them up and look at them.

Some things I'll acquire digitally for utilitarian purpose, but with other things (especially creative/artistic things such as games and literature) I like to have the choice of being able to purchase and own them physically.

I'd hate to think of the day where this wasn't possible..

=)

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 1:01PM (Unverified) said

I know what you mean. I never use my e-reader-gadget and insist on walking to the bookstore to buy my books there, even if they have to order them for me.

But for games and music I couldn't care less about these disks with their delivery times, their out-of-stock-ness, their scratches, and their not-yet-released-in-europe quirks. All the more room for books :)

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 9:52PM (Unverified) said

A physical box with a physical disk becomes a lot more attractive, imho, when you already have the game installed and working, and the box is just for souvenir value. :-)

_Exactly_ like vinyl records.. I don't even own a turntable but I've bought records at markets because I own the CD and love it and want the LP for souvenir value.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 12:03PM (Unverified) said

I was planning on picking up the box version to start an alt, however it looks like no one carries it in Canada

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 2:14PM Crsh said

Sure I'll pick it up, it'll go nicely with the original 2003 box package I still have. :)

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 2:57PM SgtBaker said

Not big on owning boxes and pieces of plastic, but hell yeah, the box is good value (and I'm a sad EVE addict)

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 3:20PM (Unverified) said

I'm thinking about it (Getting the box, that is)

One thing though, the disk contains the client for Quantum Rise, not Apocrypha. You will load it, and still have to patch to Apoc. This means that it won't add anything for convenience.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 7:28PM Firebreak said

Not only am I getting it I was disappointed that I could not find it in the stores yet.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 1:49AM blash said

1) Exclusive shuttle is for new accounts only.
2) Apocrypha is not on the actual disk - whoever buys the disk will still have to download the ~2GB expansion patch.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 5:19PM (Unverified) said

I am considering buying this retail box, mostly because I only play wow for the 5 hours it requires to clear all raid content a week, and because the gametime is an efficient expendature vs the normal monthly rate.

Also, i recently upgraded my comp so I can enjoy all the new graphix :D

Please Eve, make me want you full time :O