Posted: Mar 9th 2009 8:58AM (Unverified) said

Not only am I an MMO parent, I also work on an MMO for kids (FusionFall from Cartoon Network).

I've always encouraged my sons to play appropriate MMO's (such as Wizard101, FusionFall, etc.) They don't seem to have much interest in the virtual worlds (Club Penguin, et al). Not only does it help familiarize them with computer control schemes and coordination, but for my older son (almost 7 now) it was a driving factor for him wanting to learn to read. He wanted to read mission/quest text. :)

As a parent, it's important to me that my kids' online play experience is appropriate. I think there are plenty of good MMO's / Virtual Worlds out there for kids and parents to play together. So far, it's been a very positive experience in my family.

Rich

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 9:05AM Platypus Man said

My oldest daughter, who's 11, has recently started playing MMOs with me. We played World of Warcraft together for awhile, but money got a little too tight to justify two accounts, especially when playtime could be sporadic.

So we made the move to F2P games like Perfect World - a game that we both kind of got bored of. We tried Wizard 101 but it was too "kiddy" for us both to play. We'll probably try out Fusion Fall and we're anxiously awaiting Free Realms.

My oldest son is 6, and he's too young, IMO, for the MMOs I play. However, I can foresee that we'll spend quite a lot of time playing together when he's older. He's probably more excited about Star Trek Online and The Old Republic than I am.

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 9:22AM Lateris said

My oldest child is 4. He prefers the interaction of the Wii. I do separate my MMO gaming from family gaming due to his age and the amount of fluffy animals that get killed for leveling.

I try to do all my MMO gaming after the kids are asleep. I am very selective on what he is allowed to view. I try to focus on the beauty that was created in the studio such as trees, water, animals, avatars, etc. He really loves the ships in Eve Online and SWG. Most of all he likes my dwarf avatar in LOTRO. Currently LOTRO is all I have time to play.

So all games are regulated by its content for me. When he is older we will see where he wants to go with games. But education will come first.

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 11:00AM Platypus Man said

Same here, as far as doing most of my MMO gaming at night. But that's primarily because of the peace-and-quiet factor. :)

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 11:24AM (Unverified) said

MMO dad here. Played WoW with my oldest daughter for a few years (two accounts). Now looking forward to playing Free Realms with my youngest daughter. I think playing with them I can easily monitor what and how long they are on-line. Plus its fun. Some of the best WoW time I had was with my oldest (her Huntress and my Warlock).
I was looking at Ruins of Magic as a possible all us to play together.

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 1:51PM (Unverified) said

I too work in the industry and am a MMO parent. :)

My kids have all gamed since they were able to handle the controls, and my wife and I have focused on keeping it age appropriate. My oldest child has been playing MMO's since ToonTown beta, and is currently playing: ToonTown off and on, EverQuest II (L80 SK!!), Atlantica Online (some), Roblox (more virtual world than MMO - daily), and a slew of non-MMO games.

My younger two have a shorter list that's more age appropriate.

I do look for games that we can all take on as a family, and I watch to see which ones stick with the kids. It's insightful when I get out of the way and see what they like, and what they pass on.

All of us are eagerly waiting for Free Realms so we can all fight for computer time to play together. )

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 2:20PM Justpotatoes said

I'm a lifelong gamer, and a stay-at-home MMO mom to four kids. My oldest daughter (13) occasionally plays Asda Story and Gaia Online, and my middle two (7 and 10) play Club Penguin. I've tried a few of the kid-oriented MMOs, but haven't liked any of them enough to continue playing past an hour or so. I just don't really enjoy playing MMOs with kids, so an MMO designed for kids or families does not hold much appeal for me.

I'm a social gamer, and I guess you could say that the online world is my escape. If I wanted to play with kids, I'd just hang out offline with my own, which I do all day long! When we game together, it's more likely to be something offline, like Magic: the Gathering.

I've played MUDs for years, and my oldest and I occasionally still log on to Discworld MUD to play together. That's always fun!

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 3:14PM (Unverified) said

MMO parent here too!

It's difficult finding the balance with 'grown up' MMOs/GAMES and family time.

The Wii really changed that and we pay Fusion Fall together, but I really think FreeRealms will change everything.

Mostly because I think it will appeal to the grown ups also and not separate us or make us feel like we are playing a kids game.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 1:01PM monkeybones said

I am an MMO Parent of 2, plus I play with my buddy and his 3 sons. We have an extended network of kids that play with out of about 10 people.

My youngest is 12 and she's been playing for 4 years. We have played WoW and City Of Heroes, but typically we play the F2P games.

For F2P; RoseOnline was a big hit with us, Flyff, Perfect World, Domo, and now EtherSaga. Its great to play with the kids, you can help them with builds and quests. And in game friends and guildies can help keep an eye out on people that they are playing/chatting with online.

Playing MMO's teach kids some good like lessons, like everyone that you play with isn't really your friend, people will scam you, people will lie to you. Since I'm there I can usually explain these things before it happens and tell them how to deal with it.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014