Posted: Mar 8th 2009 7:07PM (Unverified) said

There are two things that were either not mentioned or were mentioned ever so little: No class-base structure (i.e. no pigeonholing) and the economy is player based.

The no classes structure is what I love about EVE. Players don't get stuck with being just a tank, just a DPS, just a healer, or just a crafter like in other MMO games. Yes, starting out is specified on the focused path of choice, but at any time it can be changed simply by learning different skills. And, players can learn all skills. No more of "Oh, I would have won if it wasn't for him having X ability which is so OP.", and that's because every player can have X ability when they want to.

The economy as far as I understood it is almost completely 95% player based. Sure, there's the basic skill books that are sold by NPCs (only at specific stations) and the items received from missions but everything else is player controlled. Player ships are crafted by other players, the materials to make said ships is mined by players, the mined materials are either refined by the same miners or they're refined by others (people with higher refining skills), when ships are destroyed there are players that salvage those ships for valuable materials. I guess it's mostly based around the fact that ships can be destroyed and need to be replaced, unlike other games where the PvP there is no lose or any things like that.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 7:37PM Brendan Drain said

You're abolutely right that the classless structure is a big factor in why people play EVE. There was a lot I wish I could have gotten into the article but for the sake of keeping it at the usual length, I stuck to the parts that other MMOs could easily adapt for themselves. I went into detail on the factor of a player-run economy in my article on the server model and explained how a player-run economy wouldn't really work without the server model EVE uses.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 7:23PM (Unverified) said

I agree with most of what you've written, but:

"While most MMOs will release free balance and bug-fix patches throughout the year, very few add new content for free"

..what the hell?

I can't think of a single MMO that I've played (and I've played at least a dozen) that DIDN'T add new content for free. While the fact that ALL new content for EVE is free distinguishes the game from a lot of others, you can't deny that everyone else adds SOME new content for free, even if they also sell expansions.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 7:39PM Brendan Drain said

Thanks for pointing that out, that was a touch of bad grammar on my part. The sentence was meant to say that very few MMOs add all new content for free. I've corrected the sentence above.

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 7:29AM (Unverified) said

@The Claw

I think Brendan was refering to the expansions, not the content. But all of the content that CCP implements over time are delivered as expansions. ;)

WRUP: Lucky Korea