Posted: Mar 7th 2009 1:23PM (Unverified) said

Well... I might be going back to WAR... Darkfall is total garbage, the first person camera is terrible... The game mechanics feel like its 10 years old...

Any good things with the new WAR patch?

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 2:48PM CCon99 said

Sure, lots of Nerfs!

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 3:32PM (Unverified) said

Yes, either Tuesday or Wednesday (I don't know if it's on the 10th, or the day after) those that completed the Bitter Rivals event will get the 1-week early access to the Choppa and Slayer. The following week, everyone will get access to these careers.

As to what's new: Domination points are new. They're a way to capture a zone faster if defending and having guild claimed keeps. Oh, and all the crafting was changed alot...very much alot.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 4:49PM Abriael said

Lower level people already help in the tier 4 war with previous control VP trickle over. I doubt it'd be smart to have them all cram into the tier 4 zones, which with the latest server merges are already quite crowded. on basically all servers. Lower tier RvR (expecially tier 2 and 3) is lively and fun, and I think lower tier players should just stay there to learn the ropes of the system.
A system like the one you suggested would have just the effect of overcrowding the tier 4 zones and leave the lower tiers as ghost towns, effectively deprieving the player of a good portion of the game contents.

Also, while your capital syetem could work (expecially as a temporary solution until they implement all 6 capitals, if they implement two at a time), I personally think there would be a simpler and better solution. While I'm sure that they will be implementing the other capitals (and I'm pretty sure it'll be soon enough), i don't think that a rotation would be the right system.
Just put each capital at the end of each tier 4 pairing, keeping the fortresses. When a side conquers a fortress, they gain access to the capital behind it, and play the siege just like they have until now. Only difference is that they would have to bring down just one fortress to access one capital instead of two.
This would have the following effects:

1: make accessing capital sieges easier for everyone
2: make the loss of a capital less of an "hard bone to swallow" for the ones on the loosing side
3: make RVR more streamlined and intuitive, but at the same time more varied
4: add variation to capital fights in the same period of time, instead of having the same capital attacked X times during the same portion of the rotation

In the end this would make the system more similar to DAOC, where loosing a relic was bad, and people most definitely fought bitterly over them, but it wasn't the end of the world. Personally I think capital sieges should be a little more commonplace than they are now, but a little less crippling (precisely like relics were in DAOC).

Paramount would be having different equipment sets to be won in different capitals. So, for instance, while Altdorf and the IC awarded the Invader and Sovereign sets, the other two pairings awarded two fairly equivalent sets, but with different stats and expecially different looks.

The other suggestions seem sound, expecially the one about continuing with live events, maybe variating the rewards a little (they seem to be working on a tentative system for cosmetic-only pets, they just gave out one for players that have been successful on the recruit-a-friend thingie. They're still rare, but the system can definately be expanded upon).
The only gripe about that is that I wish some of the content they created for such events was somehow kept in the game. The Imperial factory and the twysting tower scenarios were (and are) probably the best scenarios in the game. It's sad to see them go after such a short time.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 7:23PM (Unverified) said

I've spent some time over the last week checking out WAR again, thanks to the free trial. I haven't played it since release (I had a pre-order and thus was able to play beta and the headstart on the release servers, but I opted not to go through with buying it)

The game has definitely improved.

It's more stable for me, I had a couple of crashes a week ago but none since patch 1.2 (touch wood).

The responsiveness of the UI is still not up to WoW standards, but it is definitely improved, the global cooldown "flash" helps. Casting animations no longer get glaringly out of sync when your cast gets pushed back by taking hits.

Adding influence to the open RvR areas was a good idea, it gives you an incentive to get into them, which balances out the fact that renown and xp gain seems better in scenarios.

Crafting is vastly improved since 1.2, it actually feels like you can achieve something now. I tried talisman making back at release time and it was ridiculous, you needed all six professions to contribute to making a talisman. I don't think I ever made one! But I have now, just using salvaging and talisman making, with vendor-bought items filling in the rest (I assume that if you do use items all produced by player craftsmen you'll get better results).

Monster AI and pathing is still pretty hopeless, far below the standard I expect these days. You can still frequently pull a single mob while his friend standing five feet away completely ignores you. And often mobs will run in random directions before figuring out how to path towards you. Or, occasionally, just get confused and stand there motionless while you kill them.

Ultimately, I'm not yet ready to go out and buy a box to play WAR (I haven't really seen it discounted in Australia), but I would be willing to pay a subscription for it, at least for a month or two to see how it goes.

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 3:07AM hami83 said

MMOs will never be known for computer AI. lol

Not even WoW has good AI. Every MMO the computer is mentally retarded. :P

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 3:21AM (Unverified) said

Well, yep, but there is bland simplistic AI (basically every MMORPG), and then there is bland simplistic AI which doesn't actually work sometimes (WAR).

Actually I suppose it would be more accurate to say that the pathfinding doesn't work. The AI does exactly what it's supposed to, I'm sure (run straight at the person who just shot it, to melee them), but it fails to figure out what path it should follow to achieve that.