Posted: Mar 7th 2009 4:21PM (Unverified) said

I love MMO's. Tried and subscribed to most. But just lately I'm bored with them. I'm waiting for something new and different. Until that time comes I'll stick with Second Life the only subscription I've stuck with for 4 years or more. I don't know what it is but something keeps me logging in every day.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 4:35PM (Unverified) said

I burn out and hop between a couple of games. Most of the time i will play EQ until i burn out yet again then will move over to WoW until i burn out on that yet again. In 10 years i have never had my EQ account lapse and still greatly enjoy my first love.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 4:55PM (Unverified) said

I started getting really bored with WoW about a month ago, the missions, the presentation, and the community. I downloaded the LOTR trial having been interested in it for awhile and felt it is a very nice departure from Blizzards game. The core gameplay is very similar but it just seems much more...relaxed, more peaceful and less stressful. In WoW it always seemed like a rush to the end, to get to the "good stuff" everybody is always talking up. But in LOTR it seems I can just walk around and take my time and still make progress with the deeds system, the community is great, helpful and polite. A big departure there, and the graphics are the icing on the cake. Purchased the game when my trial ended. Hope you enjoy the game.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 5:07PM Pingles said

After burning out on WoW I went:

Conan: Beautiful but I just couldn't stay interested
LOTRO: Great world but again I just got bored
City of Heroes: GREAT Game mechanics and Skill/Abilities design but the scenarios were horiffically monotonous

until...

Warhammer: I'm sucked in. Guess I was just looking for WoW with different character models and maps...

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 5:18PM Tom in VA said

I totally agree with Chuck. I played WoW for many years; it's good game. Then I gravitated to Guild Wars, which I liked even better. But once I had played through all of the Guild Wars campaigns on several characters, I was done with Guild Wars. I went back (briefly) to WoW before, at long last, coming to LotRO.

I have to say that LotRO is a nice blend of WoW and Guild Wars; it feels much more social than Guild Wars, but has a much richer story feel and environment than WoW. The pace is relaxed, the community is much more helpful and courteous, and I have been -- for the most part -- quite happy with the game.

LotRO is not without its frustrations, however. The character models are lifeless, imo. Pet AI is dreadful and makes me long for my pets in WoW. LotRO's Auction House, Mail system, travel system, player housing, and LFF ("looking for fellowship") mechanism are all in need of serious overhaul. And though I find the epic quest line to be unique and fun, it can be a real pain to find groups for.

Yet even with these flaws, I never gave WoW a backward glance, not even when WotLK came out. LotRO is a great game. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of it.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 5:29PM (Unverified) said

Bizarrely enough, I've relied on a combination of EvE Online and WAR to get over my WoW burnout...I'm taking Eve slowly until Apocrypha, seeing the new scanning system will radically change how my cov ops pilot works, and I'm powering through WAR for some short term PvP. Win on both ends.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 6:12PM (Unverified) said

Good choice in LoTRO, Craig. I've been playing it for almost a year now and still very much enjoying it. In the past year I have also tried WoW, WAR, EVE, SWG, PotBS, EQII, AoC, Vangaurd and DDO just for a change of pace every once in a while, and everytime I just kept running back to LoTRO. (not that I necessarily left :D ).

on a sidenote: EVE is actually a really well made game, I just dont have the time and patience to stick with it. AoC was pretty fun, but lacks content and I got bored after hitting lvl 30 on 3 different characters. DDO has improved greatly since launch and has fun gameplay but something about it keeps me from playing it; not sure what, I think that all the missions/quests are instanced, who knows. The rest on that list.. no thanks; boring.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 8:32PM (Unverified) said

Have just had a 9 months break from WoW after having played it hardcore for over 3 years, and it really feels fresh again.

However, the break was needed, and I really enjoyed AoC and Warhammer which I tried out for two months each.

The thing is just that as son as all your friends leave, it gets tedious.

MMO's are social games, so you need someone to play them with. You need the guild.

I also tried the 10 day trial with EvE, but I felt too alone.

Here is for hoping a soon to come MMO will grapple teh adience so more people actually stick to it, as I'm sure I'll get burnt out from WoW again sooner or later.

Jumpgate Evolution og SW:TOR perhaps. Aion could be fun too, if the eu community works out well.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 10:33PM Drexel said

It looks like we all handle burnout in similar ways. I usually try to rotate WoW with something completely different. When I start burning out on WoW I will bounce over to Eve for a few months. After that runs it course I will hop back into WoW or over to the Freedom server on CoX to maybe hit max level some day.

The Eve junkets may be coming to an end though. I can't seem to find the time to invest in that game to play it to it's fullest and Eve isn't the kind of game you go into half-arsed. Not to mention the removal of ghost training has really sucked the incentive out of reactivating, I just don't have as much to look forward to.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 1:52AM (Unverified) said

I find a mix of EVE and LOTRO keeps any chance of burnout away for me.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 4:31AM (Unverified) said

I thought the point of the blog was that you followed your readers' advice and tried a different one to see if that would help, but it doesn't seem you actually tried another MMO, just came up with excuses not to.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 5:48AM (Unverified) said

A single player RPG usually does the trick for me, like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect. It's like an MMORPG where you just solo the quests and there are no kids breaking the immersion in every area. When you start to miss player interaction and pvp, it's time to go back.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 8:04AM AceT said

Like the other comments here, switching to another game helped with MMO (read WOW) fatigue. However I have not gone back to WOW at all.

Tabula Rasa (may she rest in peace!) was sufficiently different to refresh my interest in on-line gaming, LOTRO, because of the knowledge of the back story was interesting (if not different enough) to play too. However TR has gone :( and LOTRO I dip into occasionally.

So EVE currently has my attention. Interesting learning curve though!

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 1:20PM Justpotatoes said

I've gotten burnt out and tried other MMOs as well, but the thing that always brings me back to WoW is the people. I have guildies there that I've played with for years now. I recently resubbed to WAR, and I'm enjoying the game, but finding it hard to connect with other people.