Posted: Mar 5th 2009 10:22AM MrGutts said

Can't wait till they fix crafting, it's crazy expensive and the mats to make items are also very high amount per item. Gathering is also a very slow progress. But all in all the game is coming along well.

I would like a two story house!

Posted: Mar 5th 2009 11:51AM (Unverified) said

I will be honest with you. THIS will make me try this game.

Posted: Mar 5th 2009 12:55PM Saylah said

Wow, how nice. My house is on Massively! Thanks Collin for the follow-up story. I can't tell you how much fun I've had so far just designing my house and getting all the crafting stations up and running.

@Gutts - You're right in that the crafting is time intensive and not profitable at the moment. However, I think most MMOs launch that way. It takes a while for the devs to balance crafting and for the economy to take off. I'm a crafting whore so i craft no matter how bad the system starts out and just hope for the best.

A tip right now is to not focus so much on crafting items as much as getting all your harvesting & refining skills. You're right that the number of components is too high for the low level items and the probability that you can sell them at a profit.

The only thing I sell are the bundles of refines players need for the Elite Skills. You'd think that everyone would make their own and not buy them. However, some players won't do even the simplest crafting so that's how I'm paying for things at present.

For me, I would have done this regardless because it's something I wanted in EQ2 but was never able to achieve - crafting in my house. :-)

Posted: Mar 5th 2009 2:17PM MrGutts said

Saylah, did you win one of those two stories? How many more slots is it if you did?

I think I will take your advice and just level up the gathering and refine.

I also tried one of those lvl 1-20 crafting books that you read while afk in your house, and it doesn't do so much for gaining skill. I got like a half of a level of crafting skill for 12 real life hours of being afk. Think it is one of those things they may tweak later on.

Posted: Mar 5th 2009 1:44PM Tom in VA said

This is a nice feature. I wish LotRO offered something similar. It might make owning a house (i.e., with crafting stations) actually worthwhile.

Posted: Mar 5th 2009 2:49PM Saylah said

@Grutt - I was lucky to be online the last night of submissions for the Living event. A player told everyone in chat that you could get a free house upgrade by participating in the contest. I jumped at the opportunity and that's how I got the two-story house. My understanding (forums and zone chat) is that these houses will be available in game, as well as other layouts at some point but no idea when.

I think the house had 12 slots but since I'm at work I can't check. I upgraded to 25 or so but that's not necessary. I wanted fluff items around the place too - plants, globes, candles, etc. Having had a house in EQ2 I couldn't stick to just the necessities and be happy with it visually. :-) i did calculations and the house configured the way it is now costs me roughly $15.00 per month (energy/diamonds).

I have two copies of each station to provide double bonuses. They are hidden for aesthetic reasons but still provide the bonuses. Once I have my skills maxed I will remove the hidden duplicates and the cost of the house will drop to roughly $9.00 per month.

For me, I'm still ahead on costs. There was no box price for the game and no subscription fee. If at any time I stop playing for an extended period, I can store the house items in the bank which will remove all costs. If I join a guild the same thing applies if there are guild crafting stations. Best thing about the setup up is that you can at any time for any reason revert to a free-2-play situation by banking your items. :-) These choices are strategic and within your control. Those books are rubbish. Don't waste another diamond on one unless they get fixed/buffed.

Posted: Mar 7th 2009 1:45AM deluxe2000 said

I really think they should remove the bonus to crafting in your own home. Its a convenience, but an mmo shouldnt reward people for going off and hiding. DAOC eventually rewarded people for crafting in the main cities since the more persons you see running around capital cities, the more alive they feel.

Posted: Mar 6th 2009 6:53AM (Unverified) said

They dealt with this quite well in SWG, in that your home could be made a shop, so you could set part of it aside as a "showroom" and then have vendors selling stuff, so people would actually come into your place and ask for custom orders and stuff as you were crafting.

Posted: Mar 13th 2009 10:12PM Saylah said

@Copper - Most ppl dont dream of crafting in their homes like I do. There would be very little incentive to purchase the crafting stations without the bonuses.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM