Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 8:11AM J Brad Hicks said

When you first get to Warburg, there's a group of roughly level 20 NPC Arachnos mustered up, as if they're about to be sent into battle against the level 38 Malta Group and Renegade Arachnos who've taken over the island -- and their batallion leader is giving them a really good homage to the speech in the Penny Arcade cartoon for 2/20/04, "High Employee Turnover." I laughed myself silly when I saw it. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/02/20/

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 8:22AM (Unverified) said

In World of Warcraft, The NPC character named "Glacius" taken from the fighting game Killer Instinct.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 8:31AM (Unverified) said

In EQ2 there's Dawnfear, the reaper (a sword) that drops in Shard of Fear. The proc on it is "more cowbell" in latin.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 9:05AM (Unverified) said

I always liked WoW's "One Ring," which gave +1 to all stats, and its sister item, the +2 per attribute "Two Ring."

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 9:42AM Ripper McGee said

I think Dungeon Runners wins when it comes to pop-culter references/satire:

* "Dungeon Idols" quest chain that has you kill a banshee named Sanjyna
* "Sitar Hero" quest chain that has you enter an instance that looks like Guitar Hero and you need to pick the dots that come towards you
* Finding the WMDs...
* Quests reward you 15% more Cowbell (experience bonus)
* etc....

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 10:33AM (Unverified) said

In Lord of the Rings Online, in the North Downs zone, there is a man named Colbert the Mad. He... he has a real problem with bears.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 11:06AM Kamokazi said

And who can blame them? They're God's ruthless killing machines.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 3:02PM Pigeonko said

There's also Trapper Coalbear in EQ2's Butcherblock Mountains that considers bears a greater threat than kobolds. I lol'd.

Oh, and the Orly and Yarly owlmen in the same game.

Posted: Mar 10th 2009 7:47PM (Unverified) said

Lol nice owlman take the cake for that but wow has two auctioneers named O'reely and Yarly (in Booty Bay and Undercity respectivly).

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 10:58AM (Unverified) said

It has to be one of Guild Wars' many Monty Python references, my favourits being:
Quest called Knights who say Nian,
And the Black beast of aaaaaargh

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 11:08AM Kamokazi said

Not my favorite, but it is the most recent I can think of:

They new Orc Choppa class about to come out in Warhammer has an ability that pulls the target to them. This ability is named "Git to da Choppa!".

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 11:13AM Platypus Man said

In Orgrimmar, you'll find two orcs at Droffers and Son Salvage. The names of the two orcs, Dran and Malton Droffers, are an anagram for Fred and Lamont Sandford. Obviously, a reference to the television show "Sanford and Son."

I also like the Tauren NPC in Hellfire Peninsula named "Ophera Windfury", a reference to a certain highly popular talk-show host.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 12:22PM veyper said

With WoW's many pop-culture references I actually looked for one thinking, Blizzard MUST have put this in and sure enough they did. I had just finished watching Kill Bill (1 or 2, maybe both) and thought, I BET they have a Hatori Hanzo (spelling?) sword. Sure enough, a quick auction house search for swords yielded the Hanzo sword, a level 55 single handed sword that looks like a Katana.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 12:42PM Justpotatoes said

WoW's death knight NPC, Siouxie the Banshee, always cracks me up when I see her.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 1:04PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Am I the only one who hates pop-culture references in my games? I know WoW is like famous for it, but I still despise it.

I play in a virtual-world to escape from all the vanity and media of the real world - I don't want pop-culture references shoved in my face.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 1:42PM (Unverified) said

My favourite ever has got to be a Beast in Guild wars called Enadiz the Hardheaded. From which you can collect the elite skill Headbutt. Enadiz of course being Zidane backwards who once famously headbutted Marco Materazzi in the 2006 World Cup Final.

Posted: Mar 8th 2009 6:13AM Necromas said

The skill 'Headbutt' also used to be named 'Enadiz Headbutt'

There are so many pop culture references it's simply impossible to list them all, but some of my favorites:

-The dance emotes, especially the one that dances like Elaine from Seinfeld.

-The shout skills "For Great Justice!", "Make your time!", and "It's just a flesh wound."

-The spells 'Rodgort's Invocation' and 'Mark of Rodgort', both of which cause much burninating.

-The NPC 'Galstaff the Light' and the enemy 'The Darkness', which allows you to announce "I'm attacking the darkness!"

Posted: Mar 2nd 2009 6:02PM Heraclea said

In City of Heroes, one of the generic radio missions that heroes can get has you rescue "Betty Jo Bialaski". Another has you rescue "Audrey Farber" or "Melanie Haber". When rescued, this NPC says, "Just call me Nancy, everyone does."

This is a reference to the Firesign Theatre's skit "Nick Danger", from their album *How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All*, sometimes known as *All Hail Marx and Lennon*.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2009 3:31AM (Unverified) said

Mine would have to be in the late Tabula Rasa-

In the Cellar arena, there was an NPC vendor that sold various boxing gear, and was named Cellar Arena Vendor Durden (or something like that, I can't find my screenie with it ATM).

Durden refers to Tyler Durden, who is from Fight Club.

CELLAR was created because PlanetTR had a weekly event called Friday Night Fights.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2009 4:52AM (Unverified) said

I dunno. I'm pretty partial to the monolith in EVE.

Screenie: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/einarm/EvE/monolith4.jpg