Posted: Feb 27th 2009 4:22PM CCon99 said

I was really looking forward to this when it was first announced, but now I'm not so sure. It really seems like they have made all the important decisions for you already. They chose you have to be the Captain, they chose you have to play with Mastermind pets, they chose you have to pay a subscription for what is sounding like a singleplayer RPG.

Normally I'm a big fan of Cryptic's work, but they're dropping the ball with this title in favor of proving a point that they can make an MMO in 2 years time. It's really sounding like a rushed game with lots of "we'll explore that more after launch".

Posted: Feb 27th 2009 4:40PM ultimateq said

Your concerns are well placed. But I would say its a little bit to early write the game off just yet.

I'm not sure where I read it, but someone once said, "We shouldn't consider STO to be the ultimate Star Trek Simulator". That made a lot of sense, and changed my expectations of what STO should be.

I think it would be cool to have groups of people running ships, rather than letting everyone captain their own ship. But that would pose a lot of issues. I'm sure its been talked about over at cryptic, and they realized all of the various obstacles. And chose a more realistic route.

A solution all together would be to not let players own ships, and only allow them to help run the ships through engineering or as bridge crew. Possibly fly some new single person fighter for ship-to-ship combat.

There are many solutions, and I agree, allowing everyone to Captain their own starship seems like a less appealing way to go.

But, like I said earlier, its to early to write the game off. We'll have to see how it all works!

Posted: Feb 27th 2009 4:48PM (Unverified) said

I don't agree at all. I think it's sounding more and more fabulous. Exploration, Factions, tons of custimization. I'd much rather they make everyone a captain, then no one.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this develop.

One thing... wasn't this almost the same int from TTH?

Posted: Feb 27th 2009 11:50PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
This game will have a ST theme but it wont be star trek. Everyone is captain ? really ? look no further. Star trek is about a group of people working together. A crew a team. It cant be done ? then dont call it a ST MMO it just means Cryptic is just not ready. With something as HUGE of an IP as Star Trek, this MMO SHOULD be the ultimate ST simulator or just not be at all. I wanna be able to man a station and work together with my friends as part of a ship. I want to take orders and give them. A Ship should be more as a Clan or a guild and less like a flight simulator.
a rushed cryptic MMO will kill the dream of a ST MMO 4 ever.

Posted: Feb 28th 2009 12:01AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
And the point ? As i said. if they cant make it true to the spirit of star trek they they shouldnt do it at all. And people that like ST will follow orders, and those ships will work. The and those ships that dont wont. simple as that.

Posted: Feb 28th 2009 10:04AM Tom in VA said

Kyle, that clip was hysterical -- and pretty much sums up why I think requiring player crews would have been a disaster for STO. A few painful rounds of spamming "LFM for space mission XYZ -- need medic, engineer, etc." in some space dock or other would have sent me directly off to some other MMO.

STO is sounding more and more like a Guild Wars-style online game, wherein "multiplayer" is optional and available bit NOT mandatory. In other words, it sounds like just what I've been looking for.

Posted: Feb 28th 2009 3:31PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
So it will be a bad single player, and a terrible massive multiplayer Online game then.

Posted: Mar 1st 2009 5:01PM (Unverified) said

I fully agree with Tom.

Kamisama I understand what you mean but I think that your version of STO would appeal only to hardcore Star Trek fans and that means there would not be many players around and it would be tough to find all members for your crew. I am a big fan of Star Trek and even I don't think I would find it fun for a long time, the sad fact is that most people want to be captains and Cryptic knows that. Also it would be incredibly hard game to make + less players would mean less money and less money would mean that most of earnings would go to game maintenance and returning all that invested money and all that at the end leads to Cryptic abandoning STO.

Nobody will ever make a game that has the true spirit of ST, it can not be done until someone invents holodeck. So you can keep waiting for something like that or have fun playing STO.

Posted: Mar 11th 2009 3:41PM (Unverified) said

i think i'm going to grow old and die before i see or get to play this game

Posted: Mar 3rd 2009 4:37PM (Unverified) said

I am very excited about this game. I have been waiting for this since 2004 when I first heard of it. Even if it is bad, I will be playing it for a long time and that is just because it is Star Trek. As far as game play, i am going to agree with everyone. What am I talking about? Well, why couldn't they make it where you could have pets or pc's on a ship. If you couldn't find an engineer then you could provide a pet to fill the spot. I am going to start requesting that on the forums when beta comes out and keep requesting it when the game is released. I would like to believe that eventually they might add that feature to the game.

Thoughts?