Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:07PM Thac0 said

This is a good idea. I'll be willing to give it a free trial to check out the slayer and choppa careers, but would not have re-subscribed again to see them. Maybe they can win me back.... doubtful

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:11PM (Unverified) said

What's the PvP/loot situation like in War?

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:13PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad they're implementing this. In all honesty, I don't understand why every MMO doesn't already have this kind of deal permanently in place. It shows an element of transparency, letting the customer know that the company is proud of their work and isn't trying to dupe them into buying a shoddy product.

If you're proud of your work, why not let people try it for free? Let the product sell itself.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:41PM hami83 said

They don't have trials at the games release because, I'm assuming, from a marketing perspective it would REALLY REALLY hurt sales for the game itself.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:54PM (Unverified) said

I can see what you're getting at, but if the company just provides a product worth buying, there's no problem. They would make a great initial impression on their customers and would end up losing very few subscriptions.

Ultimately, if the game is worth buying and has a wide-appeal, the people who try the game would turn around and make the purchase at the end of the trial AND have some respect for the game developers for their openness.

Like I said, I understand why they DON'T do it initially. It makes sense from a financial point of view. I would just love to see a company take the risk on a truly excellent product. My wager is that they would gain considerably from a PR point of view.

My initial point was that I don't understand why some established games don't have free trials. Does AoC even have free trials up? Did Tabula Rasa? If a game is floundering, there really is nothing to lose.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 4:02PM Thac0 said

"I mean, most people that bought the game would probably just try the trial instead, which would make it even harder for MMOs to succeed in this cutthroat market."

Exactly, that means the game sucks if they wouldn't buy it after a trial and they are hiding a shitty product when they don't offer one. I'd feel a lot better if i got to try something before shelling out 50 bucks. I still never got my money back from Dark and Light ... /sighs

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:22PM Softserve said

It'd be a bit more interesting to me if I didn't have to be paying for Fileplanet to use it.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:36PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I was all set to give it a try, then found out fileplanet wants you to pay $6 just to be able to try out the "free" trial. Bullshit.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:44PM Thac0 said

Oh you have to be a paid subscriber to try it. screw that.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 3:59PM (Unverified) said

Well, it is around a 7GB download. Lately there's been too many legal issues with turrents to try anything of that sort, and the distribution of such could cause for some very messed up code (maleware anyone?).

However, I'm sure that down the line they'll put in some free demos or something at stores just like Blizz did with their game. Heck, before Blizz made their trial free, they charged roughly $3 USD for the trial disc at Gamestop's and Walmart's, only after TBC released did they actually make it truely "free."

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 4:08PM (Unverified) said

I still see those "free" trial discs for sale at some Gamestops. Granted, these are the Gamestops where I feel like I'm about to get shot rather than the well-run ones, but still. It always makes me laugh.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 4:54PM (Unverified) said

If you have a friend who plays that you can borrow the install discs off, the FAQ says you can install the full version of the game and play your free trial account on that. So you could avoid FilePlanet.

I might see if it works with the install I have hanging around from closed and open beta. The game wasn't good enough then to be worth buying, but maybe it has improved.

Posted: Feb 26th 2009 6:34PM (Unverified) said

Ignore my above post, it seems I was totally wrong. This trial is ONLY for paid Fileplanet subscribers, even if you have a client install from elsewhere, you need to log in to your paid Fileplanet account to create a trial account.

So it seems Mythic aren't interested in introducing any new players to Warhammer, they just wanted a quick kickback from Fileplanet.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 5:17PM (Unverified) said

As THAC0 said: "Oh you have to be a paid subscriber to try it. screw that."

Let me know when there's an actual free trial.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 10:06PM Triskelion said

Seeing that the game only has about 10 days of content this will work out well.

Posted: Feb 25th 2009 10:50PM (Unverified) said

Oh snap!

Posted: Feb 26th 2009 12:59AM TheJackman said

Fileplanet... worst choose ever they suck so bad! And the trail is kinda sad also please people come try or game its better now please play it!! EA will fire or asses!

Posted: Feb 26th 2009 3:41AM venekor said

The game is shit anyways you might aswel just play the much better WoW.

Posted: Feb 26th 2009 7:08AM (Unverified) said

At least in the America/Oceania you can offer free trials to your buddies. here in the Europe we can't even do that! GOA are extremely slow in implementing anything like this!I have several friends that want to try it before they buy it and move away from wow....Mythic should kick GOA up the A&%$.... They made an awful decision in picking GOA to host European servers, we've been plagued with problems....

Posted: Feb 26th 2009 10:47AM (Unverified) said