Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 8:38PM (Unverified) said

I play MMO's for the pve aspect, as such, I only burn out when Ive hit a plateu of self improvement. Either its because I am unable to move further or I am on the top of the food chain.

I find myself at an advantage when on top of pve because the raiding aspect can only happen every so often. In Anarchy online these raids only happen every 3 hours, and in World of Warcraft, I can only raid one night a week before its all completed.

So in effect, I personally just find other games to play in the meantime, and limit myself to not grinding out the needless things people collect in mmo's such as the Enhanced Pads of Dedication, or an Exalted rep reward.

If i merely hit a pve plateu I switch up people I play with to better myself, something I try to do irl.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 9:08PM (Unverified) said

if you've never hit the burnout phase of eve online, i.e. space excel, you have been playing a way, way different version of the game to everyone else that played it.

i think it's more of a paragon to the virtues of ritualised suffering than an MMO (per se).

the very first thing, the one part of the game that never changes no matter the role or choices you make, is having to play/wait out the 2 months before being able to afford/acquire the requisite ship to survive travelling outside your own domain. that is more than painful, it's a barrier to enjoying the game.

reason #1 is the force majeure behind multi-level skill training and spending bilions of isk on implants to accelerate training a few minutes per day. it's F U N fun. realising you need to spend 8 months real-time before you can even get that fancy T2 ship, let alone afford the bpc to build it, priceless. having to run missions until your eyeballs bleed to gain rep, in order to get more isk, to get more training, to get out of the rat-maze of missions, priceless.

as for reasons #2 and #3, patently false. the scenery might change, the semi-random spawnpoints do not, and there's only so many times you can recycle the same 6 scenarios in 60+ different missions.

the burnout inducing, rat-killing treadmill, missions.

"what's that, i just need to jump to 4 locations in a row, defeat an increasing number of ships that only appear just as you trigger the intended spawnpoint sequence or, heaven forbid, destroy the last ship in that batch, yes, i'm sold! let's head out. again."

without the addition of the fun behind actual involved player factions, the burnout rate in this game would be
realistic. the collective players, as evil as they are, make the game successful, not the game itself.

in fact, despite how bad the game is, how truly awful the mechanics are, how miserable the game is for new players who have not got the 3-4mill sp's needed to get out of their own "town", let alone join most alliances, visit 0.0 space, etc. it truly is an awful MMO experience without the players to make it worse/better.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 1:18AM SgtBaker said

Glad you got that off your chest? :-)

Anyway, I sense EVE vs. everything else flamewar coming up, but I'll bite for a bit anyway: How is the progress path you described any different in any other MMO?

You can't get into Naxx group during your first month of play (yeah yeah, you people grind 1-80 in 24hrs).

You can't get into EQ2 raids without months of repetitive quest grinding.

..etc. I'm sure you get my point.

Every game can get repetitive if you only do one task (run missions, rat, grind Argent Dawn faction, quest) *all the time*.

EVE is different in the sense that it is more of an "social experiment/experience" than a game with a start and end points. There is no quest progression. Flying the hottest t2 ship is not the point of the game. In fact there is no point, you get to make that part up yourself.

I think this is what makes EVE great - this is also what makes EVE weak, especially for new players expecting it to be a "normal" MMO.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 2:13AM Dirame said

Like Graves said, doing the same thing over and over is going to get boring after a while.

If its just missioning you do then you're doing it wrong, if its just mining you do then you're doing it wrong. When I was still a newbie in eve I always put myself in positions that would blow me up just for the thrill of being able to warp away and say "that was close."

Either way I never pigeon holed myself into one place, I have whole region to play with...so I do. I do exactly the same thing the author does even when I just started in eve, put a long trainin skill on, come back after 15 days BAM! new ship! My policy is as long as it gives me time to perform my RL tasks whilst playing the game then it is definitely worth playing.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 10:12PM Wgraves said

@ toliman... i sense you've never accrued alot of stuff so im not gonna ask you for it.

eve can get monotonous if you do the same thing over and over but thats why they made the whole game, not just the part of it you chose to participate in.

i have played eve for a year and a half and never come close to burnout. That said i have come within inches of rage-quitting over the loss of various ships, but overall i don't deal with loss well so im not really surprised.

i really dont think i have seen anyone leave eve because they are burned out, its usually some RL thing or they lose a newly minted capital and quit for a month or so... but they usually come back :P

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 11:20PM (Unverified) said

EVE is not nice at all to new players i tryed last year
no matter how HARD i worked i never be at the top
as there IS no max level and skills are real time

i done many mmo's
everquest (loved it till the hell level got to me)
SWG (got jedi and found out it was just a ultra grind)
city of heros (loved it till like the 4 or 5 pach in it made it so it ran so slow on my PC i HAD to quit)
WOW (liked it a lot till BC came out and the new raid set up killed my raiding guild and my will to play)
WAR (once more loved it but just ended it do to the face there not fixing the low pop servers)

sadly theres no mmos out now that fit me

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 1:24AM SgtBaker said

You were doing it wrong.

Being at max level, flying the hottest ship is not the point of EVE. It's also *not* a solo game.

It's about a massive conflict in Space. You can play a part in and even a very important part even if you're just a newbie. But there is no level-rat-race you can win.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 12:18AM Crode said

Out of 2 years I've played Eve for only 5 months total. I've quit Eve 3 times now and might quit again. I keep trying to find the 'fun' in the game but I have not found it yet..

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 12:23AM (Unverified) said

Also at Toliman.

I used to feel the way you did back when I had my first eve account 2 years ago and let me tell you I did burn out.

Last year though I started up EVE again with a completely different outset and decided not to look at it as an MMO at all, but as an experience. Subsiquently I stopped caring about what ships I had, could or couldn't fly, and the ISK in my account, and set off for adventure in 0.0 corps and alliances. Anyone and I mean ANYONE can start a new char, and train for tackling in t1 frigs within a few days and join a corp or alliance and jump right into PVP. True you won't be flying t2 interceptors but if you need t2 to win then you're a fool. If all you care about is advancement through money or ship types then yeah, you'll burn out, but if you're looking for an experience then you can hardly do better then eve if you know where to look.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 12:20AM (Unverified) said

@OLDMIKE

Maybe, but just maybe, if you tried to use your brain more often rather than assuming that your character is good because your character sheet says "Death Knight", "Jedi", "Prostitute", "Bum" or being at level cap.

Trust me, you'll have more fun that way. I have a lot of fun in EVE, probably because I have to think...

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 12:30AM Kyoji said

I use an Xbox 360 controller...zing!

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 12:33AM Jesspiper said

I handle burnout with FPS games, especially...KILLZONE2

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 1:23AM (Unverified) said

Distinguishing feature of EVE is that even if you're burned out and don't want to play for a while, there's still a strong incentive to keep your subscription active so your skills keep training up. :-)

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 3:10AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Incredible.

Who SAYS EVE has less burn out than most other MMO's?

The author of this article....

Common Sir, so why does it have NO growth in the last 2 years than "coming up with the same officially published 250K subs, while Wow added 3.5 million subs since TBC (from 8 to 11.5 million).

So UNLESS the author comes up with some FACTS instead of "personal experience"....

this article is PURELY based on "hype" on a MMORPG that please doesn't need to be hyped up anymore.

Because THOUSANDS have tried Eve and indeed only very few want to be DULLY entertained with a spreadsheet and a poststamp of a face in the upper left corner.

You can't even leave your cockpit in EVE. Never . Ever. Enough said.

EVE is the cricket of MMORPG. It looks cool on your resume on the forums, but to me it is not even close to what games should be.

It HAS its niche place, but the fact you can "play" it even when being logged off, says a LOT about the dullness of it all.

FACTS please author instead of "personal" assumptions.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 10:09AM (Unverified) said

It's called an 'opinion piece', idiot. No where did he state his experience as a universal truth. He stated why -HE- experienced less burnout in Eve.

Good thing reading comprehension isn't mandatory in WoW...

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 4:18AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

And in today's news... "How do you stop getting Burn-Out from Burn-Out stories on Massively"

:P

j/k

although 2 burn-out stories in as many days... hmmmm

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 9:42AM Brendan Drain said

Yeah, that post is where I got my inspiration for this opinion piece. Inspiration for a topic comes from all sorts of places. There's a lot about EVE that I as a long-time player might take for granted and the options the game gives to players facing burnout is one of them. It's one of those topics I wouldn't have thought to write about but I do think it's an important one.

Don't worry, I'm not burning out on EVE or MMOs ;). On the contrary, I can't wait for the expansion and have been playing a lot to make plans and gear up my corp for it.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 9:05AM (Unverified) said

First and only so far I felt I was burnt out in eve was when I finally had musterd up all the isk to buy all the skills needed for carrier, trained my skills so I could participate in capital fleet combat... we got booted from our nick of the 0.0 after 2 years of intence fighting.

however I have been on leave now for roughly 1 year, but coming back for the new expansion with features nice exploration and new pve/pvp interaction moments.

Will probably play more with my alt account then my main, and focus on T3 caldari/gallente cruisers.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 9:25AM sollord said

Why are you going to focus on t3? It is going the way of black ops/

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 4:19PM (Unverified) said

Military experts call this the seven month itch !
| 1 | 2 |