Posted: Feb 21st 2009 10:05PM Dblade said

Play less, have other interests besides MMO's, and make time for them. There you go, no burnout.

Most MMO's aren't friendly to being played less, so people keep playing when they really should shelve it for a month or more like any other game. Of course you are going to burn out on something you may have spent 6 months playing in real-time, or that you play more than you would work if it were a job instead of an MMO.

It has to be worse for you, because you have to write about them in addition to playing. For me lately I've made a conscious effort to play less, and I avoid endgame now simply because I don't want to spend an entire evening playing the game.

Posted: Feb 21st 2009 9:49PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
First i will call myself a hypocrit and get that out of the way. If i was about 17 years old again, had no knowledge of "burnout" in regards to anything i could label what i felt as such, instead i will say "burnout" is simply a nice term for a weak mind. Education will indeed help, not therapy.

If you are in any capacity in burnout mode, concerned at all about quitting a game to the point these questions are even raised, then your in an unfortunate demographic.

Writing about it does nothing but advertise your problem to others, amusing as it is. Your the type of person these MMO/game factories look for to keep them in business, get help, you need it.

Know when to say no.

Posted: Mar 9th 2009 11:28AM (Unverified) said

How's the view up on that high horse?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 5:21AM Dirame said

I make time for my MMOs as well as my console games but as long as I have something else to do those guys will always stay in the backburner. And sometimes burnout is not caused by anything to do with the game, sometimes its caused by being in a room for too long.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 6:09AM reductant said

Burnout is logging into WoW day after day having DPS comparisons, waiting for healers to log on, running the same quest for the 100th time, running the same instance for the 20th time, getting ganked by a rogue for the 50th time, and earning a new piece of gear only to immediately look for the next best thing.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 11:32AM (Unverified) said

I blame the lazy members of my guild who couldn't manage to make enough raids to get geared up and now force us to run the same places over and over for their stupid gear. The monotony of raid instance farming is what burns me out, and it affects the performance level of players as well. People get lazy, it's hard to focus, etc., when you're just farming the same place you've seen 50 times. Guilds could just stop but then they risk losing people or people being even MORE lazy when the devs finally decide to release new content.

At least from my raider perspective, the raid system is the cause of burnout. If I didn't *have* to raid a couple nights a week (well it's a choice but if I don't, I don't get dkp, I look like a bad guildie, etc.), I wouldn't and the break would do me good. That actually makes it sound more of an anal moral flaw in my own character that I feel so dedicated to people in a game I push myself over the edge. Dedication and responsibility are great, but everything in balance.

That said, I actually am on a couple-week break, but breaks are dangerous (from the guild's/game's pov) because they tempt you to live your life in reality. I know, the heresy.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2009 9:56PM (Unverified) said

raiding shouldn't be the only reason for fatigue to set in, it can also just be the game itself gets boring.

i.e. if you leave for 6 months, as people often do, and come back, it's a new game. everything's exciting, etc.

until the suck returns, and you realise the bits you enjoyed have been removed, there's even more treadmills, your player class has been neutered, and the things you used to enjoy, are now fond memories of a time when you weren't panicking about scheduled fights and the same people day in and day out.

but, there's always the next patch. or the next $50 expansion.

who knows. you might enjoy seeing the Demon TV set or the 'shoot me now' circles as a warlock, to offset losing all that made playing a warlock fun to begin with. i imagine warriors get peeved about being replaced by paladins and shaman as tanks in raid instances too, and it's now all fair in the generification of wow 3.x.x class roles.

after all, one can enjoy WoW's progressive changes like one enjoys falling onto bricks or pavement. or broken glass. because, ultimately that's what makes MMO's fun, pain. lots and lots of pain.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 7:12AM (Unverified) said

I've burnt out many many times... It was why I enjoyed beta testing MMO's a few years back... Play for a few months (for free) and when burnout hits it's usual the end of a beta... free MMO's... especially interesting free mmo's changed that for me in the last couple years...

For instance I burnt out on DOMO, because I'd gotten to lvl 30+ with every class in the game (& you could in fact be every class in the game on the same account, alts where just mules to store stuff on) and doing the same thing 12 times over gets boring... a lvl cap of 50 (at that time) meant all I really had to look forward to where getting my 30+ classes up to the limit to match my 50 class I already had... and I found I had no desire to do that...

I didn't touch another MMO for over 6 months afterwards... I want to go back to the days of beta testing though... burnout didn't matter some new game always came out to test when I was ready to start playing again...