Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:09AM venekor said

I wasn't fooled with all the previous overhyped sandbox games that you could see were bad from a mile off and this will not be the same. The sandbox genre is in the shitter right now that people will settle for any old crap it seems.

The gameplay videos just look terrible and it is like pre alpha programmer art from the 90's.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:11AM (Unverified) said

I wanna buy it cause the world needs a new MMO Simulation, and has been needing it since WoW reign of terror started.

I just need Aventurine boys to tell me that their intention is to make a simulation, where I can do anything I like, a true sandbox like Ultima Online.

Please just say "yes we wanna make UO2" and i'm in. And WE'RE IN.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 10:55AM wjowski said

Honestly, no. As much as I'd love to play an open-skill 'sandbox' type MMO, the free-for-all PVP and all the griefing, exploiting, and ganking just makes for too huge of a disincentive.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:13AM (Unverified) said

moo: are there OTHER sandbox games out there? I thought after WoW there were just clones of EQ.

Please tell me what sandbox games you're referring to.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 12:04PM (Unverified) said

Not sure what Moo was referring to, but EVE is certainly a sandbox MMO, and an excellent one at that. It's not clear to me that Darkfall offers anything positive that EVE does not.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 1:24PM SgtBaker said

...well except for the Swords & Avatars. It's hard to find those in EVE.

But yeah, Darkfall does sound like fantasy-EVE and as such I'm pretty excited about it... however I kinda doubt they'll be able to deliver the intensive, truly "massive" combat scenarios EVE has.

I won't cancel my EVE account over it, but I'm curious about it and want to take a look.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:25AM smoke2000 said

I sure am !

I've enjoyed the beta so far, it still needs a lot of work, but it's a diamond in the rough.

I've tried all the other recent mmorpgs, but they just don't fit my playstyle and i got bored with them rather fast. I'd rather give my 15$ to this unfinished game (most recent mmo's were unfinished aswell anyway) with it's current potential.

I would not advise the game to anyone that still likes or expects another WoW,Lotro,AoC or War.

It would've been ideal if they had 2-3 months more to work on it, but you could always postpone really.

Atm they are working with very little resources compared to other mmo devs, I hope that the inflow of sudden capital with the subs will allow them to get this game in top shape.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:37AM postman said

it seems like last year we all gave our $15 to unfinished games.

as far as DF, im still on the fence. i was pretty disappointed with the AoC patch yesterday, and ER isnt going to be out for a while so we'll see.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2009 5:04PM (Unverified) said

They have had 7 years...How would 2-3 months help?

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:25AM (Unverified) said

The only sandbox game out right now would EvE, which equals awesome.

Maybe Vanguard at some level but other than that I cannot think of any. The rest are all EQ clones...

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 12:37PM Kamokazi said

Exactly...EVE is awesome...and their death penalties are essentially just the same as Darkfall (arguably worse, especially if podded).

In EVE, when you 'die' your ship is blown up and you lose it along with your cargo. But the rule of thumb is to not fly out in a ship you can't afford to replace. I think we will see the same thing happen in Darkfall. You won't venture out in gear you can't afford to replace. If you don't have gold/replacement gear for what you are wearing in the bank, you shouldn't wear it outside of a city.

In WoW, Darkfall's death penalty would be disasterous. But Darkfall is not WoW...the item value and acquisition mechanics are quite different.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:23AM J Brad Hicks said

Not even vaguely tempted. I'd go back to Warhammer Online first.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:24AM MrGutts said

and the reason why is every time I ask what is my incentive to do anything after I get killed/ganked/griefed over and over in this un-restricted pvp system? No one can give me a good answer.

You get ganked, you start over from square one again, right? No gear no nothing, Rinse repeat.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 9:57AM Kamokazi said

You have your skills, your abilities, and all the stuff kept in your bank. And that's only if they take everything....each item has to be drug out one by one..there is no auto-loot.

And there is no gear you raid for weeks to get, it's much more easily acquired than other MMOs.

This MMO is for a niche market, and they've always said that. I really don't expect it to go over 100k players...in fact I would bet on half that. Many people are going to hate this type of game, and that's fine. Some people love it and have been asking for a game like this for years.

Also, don't forget, you can kill people and take their stuff too :-)

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 12:05PM Holgranth said

Agreed gankfest not fun if your a casual because there will always be thousands of no lifers with uber leet gear out there and you will never dare risk anything of value.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:32AM Temko said

spamming f5 as i am.
NOT LETTING THAT DAMN ALFAR GET AWAY FROM MY HALBERD THIS TIME...

...i want his mount.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:41AM Tom in VA said

If Darkfall is indeed a "PvP loot fest", then that's all the review I need. I now definitely have zero interest in this game.

Thanks for the info. :-)

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:43AM Minofan said

Nope ; not "wait and see", just a simple no.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:46AM (Unverified) said

No, I am happy with my LotRO/WAR combination.

Posted: Feb 19th 2009 8:46AM (Unverified) said

I love me some sandbox but my simple answer is no I will not buy this game.