Posted: Feb 15th 2009 10:23AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for this report! IMHO it's a move in the right direction, and I wonder if it augers an upcoming purge of "very inactive" accounts, toward streamlining resources and databases...

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 12:36PM (Unverified) said

Good thing to do. For a while, there was a bug in the signing up process. Name and account were registrated, but user never got the confirmation email, thus not being able to log in.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 7:53PM (Unverified) said

I believe all of the purged accounts may be prior to the use of confirmation emails. I'm not certain of that, but I think so.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 2:18PM (Unverified) said

About bloody time.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 4:00PM (Unverified) said

7% yea, but of older accounts... I want to believe LL when they say they're improving the retention by streamlining the registration process.

It's only 1 page to register now. Maybe a couple years ago more people gave up by the 2nd, 3rd, or 7th page of personal details they used to require during registration...

I think by next purge time that percentage of folks that never log in could be half.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 11:56PM (Unverified) said

I remember Meta Linden sometime said that "Remove some registed but unlogined accounts in maintenance". But this 800,000 accounts are so sounds different, so huge number.
hmm, I want Meta's office hour back.

Posted: Feb 16th 2009 12:18AM (Unverified) said

That was indeed the thing. Zee confirmed subsequently that it was around 800,000 as at November 2007.

Posted: Feb 16th 2009 1:19AM (Unverified) said

I don't think it's very likely that they've found an entirely different 800,000 accounts to purge.

Posted: Feb 18th 2009 5:51AM (Unverified) said

Imagine how big of a number it would be if they were to get rid of BOTS as well!

Posted: Feb 16th 2009 5:07PM (Unverified) said

The problem would be is identifying an account used by a BOT compared to an account used by a real person. I would guess that the data retained by the SL databases would would make it nearly impossible to distinguish. After all, a BOT is just another user account that logs on (albeit with a scriptable client).

Posted: Mar 14th 2009 5:29PM (Unverified) said

This is a smart move for Linden Labs. I wonder, will this be part of a yearly maintenance routine?

Posted: Apr 2nd 2009 10:29AM (Unverified) said

I think, Linden Lab must purges inactive users. Its happens often then deleted inactive accounts. I have my own blog and know what periodically I need to delete some accounts. For this I downloaded the application using http://rapid4me.com and started deleting regularly

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM