Posted: Feb 14th 2009 4:22PM CheesecakeBandit said

I know what you mean, you put so much time into characters that it feels like a waste not to play them. I have that happen from time to time, then i hop on and realize why i stopped in the first place. I like WoW, its the best MMO ive played to date, but the combat system got old and I have yet to find a game with a more active combat system that has the same kind of depth and quality(along with being in a futuristic setting rather than dungeons, dragons, and magic)

Posted: Feb 14th 2009 4:31PM Firebreak said

I feel that way about my EVE character. With the economy I had to kill the account and I still feel guilty how messed up is that?

Posted: Feb 14th 2009 5:55PM Heraclea said

That is part of the WoW cycle, I've found. Once you get back into the game, you will find those raid bosses against whom you will wipe and wipe, over and over again. At some point, your ability to cultivate skills and gear will not keep pace with your dwindling patience.

This is where it gets rough leaving: for at that point, your character will certainly represent a considerable investment. And that investment is a shared investment: you feel somehow accountable to all the people who awarded you your raid gear, or who chose not to roll against you for it because your character needed it more than they did. You have a responsibility to those people, to help them achieve their goals, in a game that has gotten personally frustrating and unenjoyable. How selfish you are, choosing to spend your time elsewhere!

It's at that point that it's good to make a clean break with the game for a while. From a more distanced viewpoint, there's no point in making yourself keep playing a computer game that no longer entertains you.

Posted: Feb 14th 2009 7:07PM (Unverified) said

saddest/best episode of Futurama ever

Posted: Feb 16th 2009 9:15AM (Unverified) said

Agreed.

Posted: Feb 14th 2009 11:15PM (Unverified) said

I feel guilty over doing my homework instead of playing WoW far, far more frequently than the reverse. Let's hear it for priorities!

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 12:23AM (Unverified) said

"Then again, it is January, so I can see why we were taken by surprise."

What takes me by the surprise, is the magical properties of UK time zones...

"Things won't change that much, Northrend isn't going anywhere, and those dailies will still be waiting when you log back on finally."

Well, I feel that I'm deviating from a goal that I've set for myself. - I COULD have been one day closer to exalted with this or that faction, etc.

But mostly, I don't really feel guilty. If I take a break, it's because I'd rather do that, than play.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 5:08AM Graill440 said

It comes down to personal need. Do you want something, or do you need it? Do you know the difference between the two?

The need for competition or oneupmanship is in everyone to a degree, but at some point it becomes and obsession in some and begins to ruin lives. The sickness that haunts many folks playing MMO's has even created hospitals in some countries, dedicated to treating these individuals *cough* Korea *cough*.

If you "feel" anything for a pixelated avatar you need help in real life, seek it out. If you cannot, without worrying or batting an eye, delete, burn, remove, or totally obliterate any type of avatar/game in any situation, your already in need of help.

Sadly for some reality and fantasy are permanently intertwined. Check out youtube and some of the other vid channels, lots of examples of what not to become, also fun to watch in some cases.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 10:21AM (Unverified) said

I totally agree with you up until the third paragraph.

I personally think there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling a connection with a character. Roleplayers such as myself and my fiance who I met in WoW a couple of years ago really care about our characters. This is not because we are addicted to one upping anyone, but because we've created memories which we treasure and forged believable characters.

I am an author and to write a truly convincing story, you NEED to forge a connection and feel for your characters otherwise the heart just isn't there. For me and for other friends of mine, the same goes for our avatars who are unique to us.

Posted: Feb 17th 2009 5:32PM (Unverified) said

Two things:

I agree with what Heraclea said about feeling indebted to the people who helped you. You hit end-game, get bored, and it's kind of hard leaving. It's also why I don't go back, and if I did it would be to a different server.

To Graill, the attachment to items and people, including virtual, has been proven by psychologists to be a real and completely normal human response.

If want to understand this stuff better, read Synthetic Worlds by Edward Castronova. Amazing book that really explains why mmos, and the people that play them, work the way they do.

Posted: Mar 5th 2009 9:19AM Lamthara said

dunno.... i started to play wow on 2006 and i felt in that way till the end of The Burning Crusade :)

Now i guess the game allow an even more casual approach to raiding and quests (which is perfect for me). I have an holy priest and protection warrior quite full of epics... when i want to play i log on, i put myself in lfg and it's quite easy to find a group that "needs me last spot" :)

So i don't feel i'm wasting time if i'm not online maybe because when i log in i find things i like to do very fast... and at the same time there isn't any other place i could go online... i haven't gone before.

...or maybe it's just because i've played wow for 3 years so far, and even if i'm not tired of it yet the hype has finished for me :P