Posted: Feb 13th 2009 11:18AM (Unverified) said

Good! Kirk shouldn't be there! They're taking the game waaaaaaaay into the future, so that there isn't any stupid "SWG" type situations. I mean, while Obi Wan is an extremely recognizable character, and going to Hoth's "secret" base were neat ideas, and garner immediate recognition, it didn't fit into the lore of the game very well.

I'm glad Cryptic is more understanding that creating a game AROUND the STO universe will be much more beneficial then creating a game around the STO main characters, which is where SWG failed.

That’s not to say they can’t have a James T. Kirk memorial or building in the SF academy. That’d be a good way to honor the people from the main stories, w/out something silly like “clones”.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 11:27AM (Unverified) said

LOTRO does a great job of integrating the Fellowship into the game. It's not difficult if it's well thought out.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 11:44AM (Unverified) said

I have no exp w/ LOTRO, so can't comment. But, I just think Kirk or most other main characters would be tough to right in w/out coming off campy, w/ the time time line they're using.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 12:14PM Softserve said

The timeline stuff makes it a bit more tricky. In LotRO, you're in the same time period as the Fellowship and involvement makes sense.

LotRO does, however, feature instances used to tell stories from the past. For example, a quest just outside of Moria shows you how Durin's Bane was released. You get to play as a Dwarf that is not your own character.

I think situations like this could work if they chose to use recognizable Star Trek characters.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 11:21AM ultimateq said

That's fine with me. Picard is the man anyway!

Wesley Crusher could still be very much alive, as well as the fake data that came up during Nemesis. I'm such a loser geek.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 12:13PM WSCopic said

Well, Data is pretty much immortal, unless I am mistaken. He wouldn't die of "natural" causes, anyway. Would Worf still be around? I am not sure about their life spans.

Interesting stuff. I will be watching for this game with a lot of interest.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 1:17PM ultimateq said

I don't want to spoil anything, but on Nemesis (the latest star trek movie based in The Next Generation timeline) Data died. I won't say how though.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 2:45PM WSCopic said

Oh, I am well aware of that. But "dying" isn't what I would necessarily call what happened.

I have seen the movie, and have theories about what happened afterwards.

:) Thanks though.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 2:07PM Snow Leopard said

They’ll probably throw in some time travel content sometime in the future considering there’s countless star trek episodes that involve this motif; “city on the edge of tomorrow” being one of the best that comes to mind. Having characters from different time periods and alternate universes is one of the shameless innocent joys of the franchise and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some nod to it in the future.
As to the issue of going cross-platform; sure, why not? The more the merrier. I would love being able to run an mmo on a console without having to tweak visual settings.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 3:38PM (Unverified) said

You guys talking about Data got me thinking, I wonder if the race/character builder will allow us to make android-like characters.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 5:37PM WSCopic said

I am going to say No to that. Data is suposed to be one of a kind (or at least one of a few).

What have there been now, 2 or 3 of the androids discovered? Data, Lor (however you spell it) and another possibly...

No, I don't see that being an option.

Posted: Feb 16th 2009 4:18AM (Unverified) said

Lore was Data's "older brother." If I remember correctly, his creator did "too good" a job of making him human and it scared the locals, so he built Data instead and instilled him with more childlike/innocent programming to make him less creepy...

Then in "Nemesis" they introduced... B-4? He was the android built before Data who was childlike and innocent and also had some special power to make everybody forget that the crew had already met another Data in the shape of Lore... /rollseyes.

WRUP: You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Posted on Dec 27th 2014 10:00AM