Posted: Feb 12th 2009 3:22PM Pingles said

I don't think I've ever found a crafting system that wasn't an incentive-less money pit.

Just ridiculous that in just about every game you can just sell your resources and have far more access to good items by just buying them with the money you accumulate.

In three of the four last games I played I had more money than I knew what to do with by skipping crafting and just selling resources.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 4:34PM Drexel said

UO was by far the best game for crafting, closely followed by Eve Online. They both work awesome for crafting because of similar game concepts. When you die you lose your gear.

This means that there is a much larger market for crafted items and more importantly a much larger volume, making room for lots and lots of crafters and price competition. In the end it keeps prices reasonable and keeps the game's markets moving, regardless of if that market is the Brit Bank or Jita 4-4.

Just look at GM crafted items from all the professions in UO or some of the more popular frigates and tech 2 fittings for Eve. They are strong, reasonably priced and not so easily replaced by uber rare NPC drops because those particular drops are not easily replaceable. Very few people go PKing with a Vanq Katana or Faction Overseer MWD because the relatively common occurence of getting your rear handed to you and getting looted.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 7:41PM (Unverified) said

I agree with UO and SWG having great crafting systems. I think the main thing however for crafting is having something that other players want to buy. For this i think UO was the best as when you died you lost everything unless you could get back to your body so as a result people were not only always buying new armour and weapons but lot's of consumables like potions.

If you don't have people buying your crafts and only being able to sell to NPC's then you lose interest. I love crafting but the 'new' way has stopped me as when i craft something i need 'rares' to make anything better than what you can get from quests. Put together that i can make 100 things by clicking a button and walking away so there is no challenge to it. At least UO made you click on things which made it longer and interactive.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 4:18AM (Unverified) said

Glad to see SWG finally being mentioned/getting creditted for something it was pretty much the industry leader in. A deeply rich, elaborate and engaging (to the point that many people played without ever engaging in combat) non-combat game/crafting system.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 5:10AM (Unverified) said

SWG was one of the best MMOs I've ever played. It was an entire UNIVERSE not a theme park ride or set of "levels" there for you to "win at."

It's such a shame they decided to cater to the "GIEF JEDIZ PLX" crowd.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 12:35AM venekor said

Crafting in SWG Pre CU was very very fun.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 12:36AM venekor said

Well SWG's crafting sucks now cause all the best items are through loot and loot cards. Still can't craft goggles....... whats up with that, all th collection edition moaners who don't want anyone else to have them.

Posted: Feb 15th 2009 1:42PM (Unverified) said

Hey Hey

I like what EQ2 did with crafting in TSO. There is Shard armor that is bought either from merchants or for slight less shards from players. To get the recipie books you had to go into the Crafting Inastances. While a player could give you all the shards they could also buy extra shards from you. So if you put in the time you could actully make a fair amount of coin from selling off y9our extra shards. I made over 600 plat from crafting recently, and only slowed down becouse people in my guild needed armor , and am saving shards for there alts.

Welcome Home