Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:14AM (Unverified) said

I still go back to puzzle pirates for the...puzzles. ^__^ The graphics are cutesy and a bit too simple and it always gets stale for me, but the puzzles make me so happy! Star Gate Worlds will have something similiar, supposedly, so that players can participate in puzzles rather than combat (or while other team mates are taking care of the combat!). I'd love it if they offered mini games in WoW. I have the Pop Games addon for Bejeweled right now and play that constantly in the game.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:26AM (Unverified) said

One of my biggest gripes with wow has always been the stupidly simple crafting system.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:26AM Sephirah said

I would craft more if crafted stuff would be useful for me or easily sellable.
The majority of crafted stuff is simply useless and made only for levelling the skill.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:59AM Boruk said

I miss EQ's old system of crafting....yes it was a major grind but the racial crafting and special armor that you could make made it seem worthwhile.

Now, in MMO's, crafting is just something you do to past the time, not that it gives you gear better than what you will get in a dungeon or raid.

Hell, in WoW, the best profession out there is just a gatherer and most people do that just because crafting isn't worthwhile.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:59AM (Unverified) said

And you missed EVE-Online again :).

BTW this one click crafting is miserable.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:22AM (Unverified) said

It would be great to see some crafting methods that require interaction, somewhat like a mini-game where your ability to play the mini-game determines the quality of the product.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:09AM (Unverified) said

Think i wouldn't go just crafting. Well you can't go in AoC or in Lotro. You have to progress levels to be able to rise in your profession.

So this side of professions, to make money and get power with it, isn't a real option. I would give crafting more credit, if it would be more intresting and truly offer more possibilities.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:15AM Thac0 said

I would totally craft more if you didn't have to take forever to grind out useless items just to make one thing for that crafting level that happens to be useful.

In most games world drops are better than crafted items. Its a lot more fun to team up and kill a mob then to sit alone and grind crafting. If crafting is to be a true success in any game you have to severely limit world drops in usefulness or come up with crafting professions that matter that are separate in their content from items obtained from adventuring.

I think what kills crafting the most for me is mindless harvesting of materials for long periods to make things i don't want. If i don't do the harvest grind i have to pay through the nose to get the mats. Crafting needs to be examined.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:16AM (Unverified) said

I always liked SWG's crafting, as it allowed you to make unique items. I remember trying to breed a Stealth Pet that was based on a cute-looking thing that was made from Rancor DNA...

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 12:07PM Thac0 said

Yes SWG was the best crafting fgame i have played. I'm not sure how it is now though.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:40AM Atnor said

that silly WoW click and forget thing is the defacto standard? That's just sad. I considered it just "resource gathering" and not really a crafting scheme. It's so common denominator lackluster.... there's really nothing to it. But then again, I was never a WoW junkie, and I've spent most of my MMo time in EQ, EQ2, SWG, and now Vanguard. All of those had actual attempts at making crafting more interactive and were to varying degrees minigames within the game. Also, I really love the Work order system in VG. Truely a neat and welcome idea. I tried going back to EQ2 once, and was dismayed to remember that I actually had to go out and harvest materials and make actual crap to advance in levels. They've recently reduced it's uberness compared to adventuring gear, but it's still viable.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:43AM Atnor said

Oh, and in answer to your question, Yes, Vanguard offers a pretty interactive minigame in regards to crafting, it's definitely more than click and forget, and it's the first mmo i've played where I've managed to actually create multiple high level crafters. :)

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 10:47AM (Unverified) said

I'm surprised no one mentioned Horizons. The game was barely a firecracker in the market, poor game had a great concept and was torn to itty-bitty bits by money problems and regime changes.

But the crafting system was quite complex and remained quite fun. Worth a look in to for those interested in different crafting systems.

I did really like SWG pre-NGE though...

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 12:07PM Zantom said

I recently got back into SWG and they have really pulled somethings together to mitigate the damage of the NGE. SWG really is turning into a nice game (still needs some work of course, but much better than right after the NGE).

I like crafting to be A) mini-game entertaining B) have useful needed items to sell to others C) allow for uniqueness so I am not just adding another widget exactly the same as the other 1000 widgets on the market.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 11:09AM (Unverified) said

Pirates of the Burning Sea had an interesting crafting system for ships / guns / sails, etc.

Control of towns was very important as was protecting your goods in transport from pirates.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 12:46PM (Unverified) said

One thing I hate about EQ2 and Vanguard crafting is the location. The ability to make better grade products from the same mats is nice, but I don't want to sit in a stupid crafting hall all day doing it. I would like to design a crafting system that has more interaction with the world so that people who choose to be crafters actually see it.

However, it's also lame to travel around the world for mats as a crafter, because logistically, being a great crafter takes a lot of time sitting in the workshop.

Perhaps I am looking at it from the wrong perspective - maybe people who want to be just crafters don't care about the world. If crafting can be fun for people by just including mini-games, perhaps the fact there is a world outside the marketplace just doesn't matter.

However, I think the gathering and dropping of items is necessary for an economy. It doesn't make sense for great items to be crafted from easily/quickly obtained goods. For there to be value, there must be effort (and in MMO worlds, time usually factors into the effort equation because difficulty can never be the sole factor or most of the population will be angry and prices would be set by very few).

I also wonder how much incentive should be given to crafters to level. I suppose that if they really don't care about the world, nor the story, they can just buy rare mats from an explorer. But there are of course the self-sufficient crafters who want to do it all themselves and feel 'forced' to adventure (even though it is actually a choice).

Crafting is close to my heart and something I would like to either design improvements for or see others innovate.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 6:03PM (Unverified) said

Your first paragraph hit the nail on the head. Crafting would be a whole lot more fun for me if it actually involved seeing what you were doing.

I would make swords all day if it meant I could hammer away at it on an anvil, temper it, and etch something into the handle or whatever. Sure, we'd go for quality over quantity with such a system, but then most people with a handcrafted sword would feel genuinely appreciative of the work that went into making it.

This, of course, would also only work if you didn't outlevel your gear so quickly, so it'd be best for a system where your gear could level with you.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 2:06PM Atnor said

Nice comments Ada. I would agree, mobile workstations would be kinda neat in VG. But, I like the Work Order system such that if you want, you arent dependent on getting materials to advance your level, get gear, coin, or rare recipes. And while you can buy your mats from harvesters ont eh market, harvesting skill is nto dependent on adventuring level, so you arent forced down that path if you dont want. You also don't flood the economy with 100 cheap chairs you made trying to level. But if you want to actually make something, you can gather materials and make them. Anyway, I like it and wish more games did that kinda thing. Although it wouldnt make much sense in a mindless thing like WoW's one-click system, where the actual crafting is nothing and the emphasis is more on resource-gathering.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 2:35PM Temploiter said

Crafting really only works as a viable playstyle in a sandbox game with a player-based virtual economy. If players are the source of the the Gear and Grub. If there are loot alternatives then the system breaks down. Why involve a crafter when you can do it yourself? That's great for people who like to grind for gear or like combat, but it excludes a whole segment of the market from your MMO.

WoW doesn't care because of their millions* of subs, but all these immitators should be innovators and trying to grab the market segments that WoW leaves behind.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 3:00PM Rive said

I think the best way to make to make crafting fun is to make it interactive and rewarding. Out of all the MMOs that I have played I think Saga of Ryzom has one of the best crafting systems.

In Ryzom the quality of the ingredients you used had an affect on the quality of the item, so if you used high quality ingredients you would come out with a very nice item. The types of ingredients you used had an affect on the color and stats that a particular item had. For instance; if you were to make a sword using spines, claws or teeth for the blade you would get different stats.

Ryzom's system was pretty basic and not very deep, but if you took the same concept and expanded it a bit I think you would come out with something that was very nice.