Posted: Feb 11th 2009 9:14PM ultimateq said

Sounds interesting. I'm curious to see how it will all work.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 4:40AM Minofan said

Interesting stuff to be sure, though still seeming dishearteningly PvP-orientated for my taste.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:55AM (Unverified) said

Actually watching Start Trek it seems it’s more about problem solving rather our right fighting. How will that “sprit” be put into MMOdum?
If you negotiate a truce between two PvPers you win? I think Start Trek makes better single player RPG rather MMO. However I have hope they put out something unique and fun.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:31AM Drexel said

That made me drool when he said it was a "skill based system". If they have an aim to eliminate the boring wow-fest that is levels that can be nothing but a good thing.

I am always pulling for titles that break the common mold that so many of these fantasy based EQ clones follow.

+1 for cryptic and STO

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 3:33PM (Unverified) said

How is skill grinding any less boring than level grinding?

Posted: Feb 14th 2009 8:05AM Drexel said

Very simple really, it's not about "grinding" skills or levels because that is inherently boring no matter what the game or system...to which I add...if you have to call anything a grind why are you bothering to play in the first place?

Skill based systems are so much better than level based systems because skill based systems tend to keep their usefullness beyond that particular level and they tend to be less about the gear and more about the skills.

If you have ever played Eve or UO you will know what I'm talking about...they offer new and old players alike, a chance to participate no matter what the content or activity as long as they have the basic skills and "know their role". I can take a 2 week old character in Eve, with the right skill plan, and put him into a VITAL role in a "high end" PvP battle...try taking a 2 week old character into AV...the frigate I bought my 4th day of playing eve is still a vital, useful ship a year later and beyond...can a level based system say the same thing about his level 10 sword? Oh...he outleveled it and sold it?

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 11:32AM Tom in VA said

"Firstly, players will always play planet content in groups of five, either with four NPCs or four friendly players. NPCs fill any gaps, so three friends could play together with two NPC allies trotting alongside them."

This, more than anything, is really music to my ears, since it encapsulates a true group dynamic that is NOT dependent on finding a full group of "real" players. As such, STO has a great IP that interests me but also offers this kind of feature, so reminiscent of what I *loved* about Guild Wars. Guild Wars could be played as a single-player game, a full MMO, or with one or two friends, with NPCs along as needed to round out your party. I love this.

If it makes STO less of a "pure" MMO, all you group-minded purists out there, I say go and play something else. For my money, this is what will win me to STO more than any other feature. The hassle of finding (player) groups is the bane of most MMOs, imo.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 12:46PM WSCopic said

The Borg and the ....can't remember the name...the guys from DS:9 that were killing everyone, seem to offer lots of chances for "PVP" style play. Or at least, combat over problem solving.

:D

Dominion?

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 3:42PM (Unverified) said

Procedurally generated content = CoH missions

NPC team-fillers = no incentive to group

"skill-based" advancement = two or three basic "optimal" templates that everyone ends up using

I'll pass, thanks.