Posted: Feb 11th 2009 11:25PM (Unverified) said

I'm a guy and I usually play the healer/support classes, just because that's what I enjoy. It's like a game inside a game for me.

SOE has a long history of making stupid moves with their games, but this is the first vocal faux pas I've seen from them.

Don't blame Egan, he's just the writer. That comment was all SOE.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 1:56AM (Unverified) said

My wife runs a guild in WoW and leads raids several times a week. She kicks serious ass all over Azeroth. She is much better at fighting then I'll ever be. Know I remember why we left SOE they are a bunch of clueless idiots.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 3:04AM Russell Clarke said

What about the cook/cleaner class? Babes love that sort of thing too, don't they?

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 7:27AM (Unverified) said

Wow... I was already starting to think DCUO was not the game for me, but that quote pretty much tips me from being "not my cup of tea" to being pretty much full on against the game, hope it goes down in flames.

At the core here is the basic assumption than ANY type of person needs to be catered to. You know how you get women (or different cultures or races, or ages, or left handed people, etc) to play a game ?

You make it GOOD. Quality trumps anything else !

People have their issues with WoW, but Blizzard did a lot of things right, and that's why people of all stripes play the game. Like others have said, regardless of who you are in the real world, people play all sorts of different classes and builds in WoW. There's no preconception that a class says who you are.

That the people of DCUO think this way suggests to me that they are operating from the same "four quadrants" of age/gender demographics that their movie industry parents at Sony Pictures (and other studios use). There might be some evidence that works in the world of movie marketing, but I don't think it makes a lick of sense for MMOs. And talking about this, like this will actually attract people, is so "Mad Men", it makes my brain hurt.

Go, go, go Champions Online !

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 8:53AM Cendres said

Any time a company tries to 'appeal' to female gamers (gurl gamerzz yay >.>) They end up failing or making asses of themselves.

Here's an idea just make a good solid game with many features proven to be enjoyed by all and quit worrying so much.

The reason I believe SOE thinks they are entitled to say they are popular with the ladies is because EQ 1 and 2 is played by a large population of women. Did they actually intend it, expect it to be that way? I don't think so.

Stop trying to get into people's heads already and make your game fun. That's all we want. lol

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 11:09AM cray said

Utterly classless statement by Sony's PR.

You know this a typical mentality in the comic book industry, so its not that much of stretch to see the stupidity land in a comic book MMO.

Posted: Feb 12th 2009 9:54PM Nellie said

Yeowch. What a statement! Although, what else were they going to say when asked, "What do you have for girls because all you've shown so far is fighting?"

But then, as one of those rare women who reads comics (and how I love that women work at my LCS), I don't particularly what they're doing to get "girls" to play. I just want a good game. Wish they'd focus on that, instead.

On the other hand, I like how no one acknowledges that MMO players often expect female players to be healers. In WoW, I currently play a DPS spec, but I primarily played healing classes in TBC and in LOTRO. (And AoC ever so briefly.)

I'll always remember getting on vent when I was looking at a server transfer in WoW last year. Several applicants were also on, and when I said something, the raid leader said, "Now that sounds like our healer applicant."

And I was. I've always almost played a class that is able to heal. When I'm DPS, I've noticed that people generally don't assume my female toon is played by a female and treat me like any other player. But when I'm a healer? Interestingly, players almost always assume I am female and often act as if I don't know what I'm doing.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM