Posted: Feb 10th 2009 5:45PM Ghede said

You are aware that POS has an entirely different meaning to most people right? I was reading about the POS mechanic and thinking... "I thought they thought that EVE was a good game?"

It took me a minute to realize it meant Player Owned Starbases.

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 6:03PM (Unverified) said

It is a rather unfortunate acronym, but that's what they're referred to. My first mention of them as anything other than "starbase" had an explanation right before (POS).

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 6:28PM Ghede said

... So it does. I looked through three times to try and find it, and as soon as you mention it, I see it. Bleh. My vision automatically left-aligns when I'm searching for things.

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 6:34PM (Unverified) said

I kept thinking Point of Sale...

Posted: Feb 11th 2009 7:10AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Oh, I thought it was "Piece of shit"

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 8:10PM Yoh said

Hahaha, CCP and EVE never ceases to amuse me with their scandals, always worth a laugh....haha.
Only in EVE......... if the gameplay was so damn catatonic, I'd be playing right now.

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 8:27PM karnisov said

i doubt the bans had much effect, multiple accounts are extremely common in EVE due to the way skill training works. alot of the unbanned people probably still have the majority of their assets, due to laundering through the market, multiple times over. i like EVE but it certainly has its flaws.

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 10:52PM Firebreak said

Those are actually users banned not accounts, so you can imagine how many accounts that would be. I saw one person guessing at around 500, but since they would not be paying for the accounts but using game cards bought with in game money it could be a lot more then that.

Posted: Feb 11th 2009 12:32AM karnisov said

have they explicitly made a distinction between users and accounts?

Posted: Feb 11th 2009 4:07PM Firebreak said

This is the first time they have ever used the term users in anything official every other time something like this, in similarity not scale, they used accounts. This might have been just poor wording on their part but I kind of think it was intentional. A couple of people on Scrapheap, an EVE fan site, who were banned in this whole thing talk about everything they had in game being gone including their accounts and their corp. It makes me think this was actually effective.

Posted: Feb 10th 2009 11:22PM J Brad Hicks said

Nice. Very nice. 134 people perma-banned, resources that were exploited for deleted no matter who ended up with them, and they're revising their fraud detection systems to catch similar problems more quickly in the future. I wish the rest of the MMO industry were paying attention, because THIS is how you deal with exploiters. If Sony had been this hard on botters and other exploiters, I'd still be playing Star Wars: Galaxies. If EA were this hard on geometry exploiters and keep lord hacks, I'd still be playing Warhammer Online. Kudos, CCP!

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories