Posted: Feb 6th 2009 8:27AM Nolf said

I definitely prefer IVC. I haven't used TS or Vent before much, but once I started to play Lotro I get used to IVC very fast and became familiar with it.
I don't see why I should be running other voice chat tool if there is one properly working integrated into the game.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 8:44AM MrGutts said

Lotro is probably one of the only companies that does it well. The only reason they do it well is because they used a 3rd party like GameSpy aka the old school (Roger Wilco)...

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 8:48AM (Unverified) said

No voicechat at all. I talk enough at work and normal life, and I like the quiet for a change.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 9:41AM (Unverified) said

I've used Vent for years. The audio quality of TS really bugs me and not many people I play with actually use ivc.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 9:57AM Oneiromancer said

In WoW my guild uses Vent...and on the rare occasions I've joined a pick-up group or raid, we use Vent or nothing at all. I've never even tried the in-game voice chat. In EQ2, I do use the in-game voice chat when in groups.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I'd probably give Vent the edge since you can talk to your friends and guildmates when not actually in-game.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 10:08AM (Unverified) said

"I'd probably give Vent the edge since you can talk to your friends and guildmates when not actually in-game."

Great point. Currently I'm playing LoTRO (thanks Shawn and Zenke), while the rest of my friends are playing WoW. We probably wouldn't talk at all if we didn't have Vent.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 10:00AM Aen said

we use in game voice chat for EQ2. Works awesome. My only complaint is that it will drop you when you switch toons or get disconnected from the game. While in vent, it will not as long as you have internet connectivity.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 10:35AM (Unverified) said

The only game that I use the in game voice chat with is DDO, and I hate using it, but groups changed to frequently normally to bother with trying to get everyone to use a third party program. I hate using the in game chat though because to hear anyone talking I have to turn the game sounds down to barely audible so that I can actually make out what people are saying, even if they are speaking clearly into the mic.

In other games, I use Vent or nothing at all. I can adjust the sound independent of the game. I can adjust people's volumes if they're to loud or quiet. And I don't have to be in the same group or even the same game while chatting with my friends. We can be doing our separate things while planning out what to do later.

In game chat for me is in the 'it's better than nothing, barely' category.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 10:56AM (Unverified) said

None of the above. I dislike all forms of voice chat. I prefer to listen to the game or to music while playing. I have never found it all that helpful anyways.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 11:03AM Softserve said

LotRO's in-game chat is fine, I just wish there was an overall volume knob. I can't hear people over all the other sounds in the game, which means having to bring down each and every sound type... It would be nice to just drag one volume knob down and be done with it

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 11:24AM Jesspiper said

Texan and other such American accents ruin my immersion. Somehow I just can't picture Hobbits and Elf Maidens saying "y'all".

One example of why I don't use voice chat of any kind.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 9:35PM cray said

I can relate to what you're saying. My thought is if you're going to use any voice chat, speak how you want your character to be perceived.

A lot players just don't have the knack for voice roleplay, my advice is to watch films and read books that are same genre of the MMO you're playing. practice talk in front the mirror to workout the linguistic quirks of your character.

It's so much more enjoyable when you have a group of friends or guild where everyone is speaking in character. That's true escapism and makes the game that much more entertaining.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 12:09PM Justpotatoes said

I use Vent. As others have mentioned, it's great for when I'm playing another game (like Lotro when everyone else is playing WoW), or on another server. It's also great for chatting when the servers are down, or when I'm stuck in queue while the rest of my raid group is waiting for me. I've played with the same group of friends for a few years now, and some of them have become close real life friends. We're as likely to use vent as we are to use the phone.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 12:34PM (Unverified) said

Skype , as its the best quality and the lowest cpu usage . weve done several 10 man convo's and its superb. you actually understand what the others are saying :)

I do have to say that sometimes when playing in pugs etc its not recommened as you curse to much :)

or put it on push to talk :)

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 1:14PM Snow Leopard said

I love using IVC with my real-life friends on wow. It usually works very well and it makes communicating a lot easier. I’ve never had the energy to undertake anything like Vent and I’ve never really had any need to as WoW’s IVC does everything we need it to for now. I still prefer typing when I’m playing with strangers though. I tried voice chatting in a pug once and surprisingly enough it just felt wierd.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 1:19PM Evy said

WoW's in-game voice chat never worked right for me. I use TS instead. One of our guildies is kind enough to run a server, so we all use it.

Posted: Feb 6th 2009 7:46PM (Unverified) said

Use Vent. Have never used WoW's built-in voice chat and can't think of any reason why I ever would.

Posted: Feb 13th 2009 11:02AM (Unverified) said

I use WoW's IVC on a regular basis when playing with my friends. All of our characters auto-join a private chat channel and have the IVC set to use that.

However, having been in a raiding guild that used TS, I can definitely see the benefit of having everyone be able to hear the raid leader, but only the healers being able to hear their group leader.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM