Posted: Feb 4th 2009 2:14PM Idle said

Mark's statement jives with what many said during the first layoff announcement. They're cutting fat from a team that was sized for the launch. If this is the case, it's nothing more than cleaning house. That fact, coupled with the announced changes, leaves me optomistic.

I've seen this type of thing first hand on the job so it makes sense. You always staff heavily pre deployment and pre launch. Once the initial surge has been taken care of, you're over staffed.

This is good troll food, though.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 3:02PM Lethality said

• 1 heart
Stop stop stop.

Did Blizzard downsize their dev team post launch? hell no. They hired.

Did they cut support people after launch? Hell no... the opened an entire new call center in Austin...

You get the drift. This is EA cleaning house in an unsuccessful game without proper management.

I at least thought if EA pulled this on Mythic that Jacobs would have the balls to walk.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 3:17PM (Unverified) said

Even if they did plan this "house-cleaning" phase all along, to me that makes them look worse, not better. If you're planning to work that way, you hire contract employees, not permanents that you don't intend to keep.

Also, it's "jibes," not "jives." Look it up.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 2:27PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Blizzard wins. Flawless Victory. Fatality.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 2:51PM (Unverified) said

Knowing EA, all of this development work was mostly done at launch and they planned to milk more $$$ for an expansion. It's not a secret that EA/Mythic were a bit to ambitious in their expectations for success, what with the overkill on launch servers and balance issues. To me this is just one more nail in the coffin and some suits are frothing at the mouth to kill this failed money printing machine.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 3:13PM (Unverified) said

Just don't buy MJ's statements.

Mythic didn't lay off a bunch of temps who were expecting to leave post-launch, these were actual employees. Very, very sad.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 3:18PM Holgranth said

I am personally still optimistic about the future of WAR BUT losing all those resources is NOT a good sign especially when the game is still quite flawed, much better but still VERY flawed.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 4:06PM TheJackman said

Well look like Mark Jacobs still got his job... The layoffs as a part of moving from the pre-launch to post-launch footing, alongside layoffs in line with EA's general cost-cutting measures. nice way to kick your ex co workers in the balls!

They use the launch word way too much in other words pre release this people that now loss they job where needed to complete some content for get people to pay monthly feeds for this half baked game. now pass release and 3000+ people are paying for it this people can take a hike like mmo's not need hire more people to answer at the demand no they need fire people and lower the design team way to go EA! EA not care about they games having crash to Desktop issues or bugs so long they make money and the fan boys pay for it.

Oh and if EA take the so called expansion "the Call to Arms" to Warhammer Online and put it in a box with a price tag on it of 30/68 bucks I will not be surprise! Mythic Entertainment did sale out to EA and now they loss control over there game.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 4:25PM (Unverified) said

lethality, you are a moron. You would walk out on your job when the economy is at the worst it has been for a long time? really?

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 6:55PM Lethality said

I am a business owner. And yes, if I was acquired and then the systematically dismantled my team when they said they would not, I would absolutely walk away from that company.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 6:29PM (Unverified) said

I was in WAR beta and I knew it was not going to to do as well as they hoped. They had all these ideas that sounded great but then they upended all their creative ideas (I thought making pure healing classes was a mistake, since they had taughted that healing classes would be more involved in combat).

Also, they were way to strict on the suggestions you could make. They'd ask for Y to be tested, but X wasn't working well enough to test X. When you brought this up, you were told to post it in another area that handled Y. The problem was the "Y" people were already aware of the issue and didn't need another report on it, but you couldn't test "X" all that well until "Y" was working.

To me, it looked like they were going to make the same mistake WoW made initially, with different teams not communicating enough with each other (ie Item design team and Class design).

Anyway, it was just kind of stale. After a few RvR conflicts it was hard to justify playing WAR over a plain old team FPS. I really wanted it to be good too.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 7:49PM (Unverified) said

It's always sad times when people lose their job through no fault of their own. Having been through it myself with Sigil, it stings.. badly. Thought I haven't heard too much directly, I'm sure a bunch of my friends out there at Mythic are out on the street tonight and that sucks..

Here's hoping they land on their feet and get back to work quickly!

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 8:32PM (Unverified) said

The Trolls and WoW Fanboi's are foaming at the mouth but they should really learn to read and look at other sources. EA laid off approximately 1,100 employees. Let's see... 60 to 130 at Mythic out of that 1,100 tells me that the EA 4th Quarter earnings report (loss of 463 million) motivated then to make this move. All of EA is getting hit hard... so stop foaming at the mouth. We have seen many game companies make announcements of layoffs recently... and I would expect more.

Posted: Feb 5th 2009 1:57AM (Unverified) said

Can I quote this post when Massively puts up a pic of a dumpster filled with WAR retail boxes on the main page?

Maybe all these companies putting out these failed MMOs will eventually morph into some inbred-Voltron of idiocy...put out a game called 'Age of Tabula Warhammer: London' and implode under the weight of their own lies and irrelevance.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 11:46PM (Unverified) said

EA will kill this game faster than Funcom will kill AoC. 300,000 users will not provide a base EA is interested in maintaining. Simply not enough return on their resources.

It is sad to see the jobs lost. At a time when companies could deal with minimal profitability as we all work our way out of this mess, EA chose to add to the problem. The next thing we will read about is the EA in line for a bailout. After all they are still smarting from Earth and Beyond...

I like this game...and at one time i had EQ2, WoW, WAR and AoC all active and played which ever one struck my fancy on any given day. Today I sit with no active accounts and I'm sending my gaming time playing my bass and learning new songs.

I would assume that there are many stories out there that are very similar. I would really like to study the profit margins of MMORPGs. I would bet many of these MMORPGs could be revived as marginally profitablable. Sucess if relative to expectations and games like TR could have been sold off and slowly developed if there was good to great communication and interaction with the games fan base.

Posted: Feb 5th 2009 5:19AM (Unverified) said

PHASE II OF FAIL, PROCEED!

Posted: Feb 5th 2009 10:05AM (Unverified) said

MJ - "We accomplished that goal and as a result we had the smoothest-ever launch of a major MMO."

Apparently, LoTRO is not a major MMO and had a rougher launch than WAR...

RIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!

WAR is in a serious spot right here... Bad press is bad.

Posted: Feb 20th 2009 9:35PM (Unverified) said

If 'downsizing' was *planned*, then there'd be no news, as the *contractors* would finish up their stint and be released..

.. 'layoffs' are a different kettle of fish.

They're outright lying, plain and simple. Layoffs don't occur if you'd always planned to reduce the scale of your operation in phases.

Ask any of the redundant staff if they're okay with it because it was 'planned' all along..

Company statements are so hilariously full of shit.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014