Posted: Feb 4th 2009 5:48PM karnisov said

• 1 heart
well i am somewhat sympathetic to the "you should have fixed it" argument. Both companies knew about both exploits for a while and did nothing about it. At that point, it ceases to be an exploit and becomes a feature.

Posted: Feb 4th 2009 6:43PM Graill440 said

>rolls around on the floor laughing<

I wont call you a troll in a blog, i will simply call you "uneducated". Bahahaha.

Posted: Feb 5th 2009 4:27AM (Unverified) said

I don't know if anybody saw the stuff about Blizzard's case against "Glider" (a bot that basically collects nodes/cash for you) recently, but I got to discussing this on another site and one user there said he was happy to use it, as it saves him "grinding" and means he can do other stuff.

He was quite proud of the fact that he used it and couldn't see the irony of paying somebody to play a game for him he was paying to play...

I just don't get it.

For me, MMOs are about personal achievements. Like in LOTRO, I have a rule (small "r") that the only trophies I display in my house are ones I won/found myself. I have no problems with anybody else buying such trophies, but for me, that's a silly little rule I have.

Posted: Feb 5th 2009 5:21PM (Unverified) said

The problems run a little deeper than what you're suggesting here.

Square-Enix refuses to answer any question about the game. So when people find 'exploits' like this, the player base can't be 100% sure it actually is an 'exploit' or one of the game "secrets" Square-Enix adds to the game to make it more fun. Even if you report things like this, Square-Enix does not respond telling you it actually is an exploit, or a designed game mechanic.

You'd think this would be obvious, but I reported this to a GM months before it was fixed. The GM told me "salvage is working as intended". You'll find that this answer is one of the few scripted lines the GMs are allowed to say. So you never truly know if it is a bug or intended game design.

Second, and more frustrating is that the punishments handed out for using this 'exploit' were random. Some people who used it once and got nothing were banned, while others who used it hundreds of times and got complete sets of items didn't get a warning letter. If they were going to ban people, they should have banned everybody. Not randomly pick names from a hat of who would get banned, who would get suspended and who would get no punishment. It's also interesting that the majority of banned and suspended accounts were the North American players, and not the Japanese players (who used it longer and gained more gear from the exploit). Square-Enix had every right to remove cheaters. They should do it more often, but not with a magic 8-ball telling them what the punishments should be.

They should also answer questions about the game and game design. That way people can't claim that events like this are "part of the design". With treasure drops being as low as they are (seemingly nonexistent), things like this can honestly seem like the 'trick' Square-Enix put into the game for people to obtain items. Look at how the continually change monster behavior (absolute virtue) as an example of how they love their little game secrets and refuse to explain it or even talk about it.

I'd also like Square-Enix to train GMs to be able to say more than "it is working as intended". Had GM-Luminos not said that to our group, some people would not have been banned.

Posted: Feb 5th 2009 5:33PM (Unverified) said

This exploit is still happening with sandworm and GMs are telling people "it's up to you" when asked if they should keep the items.

The JP players that report this are being told "congratulations" from the Japanese GMs.

Here's a link to the BGforums thread about it. http://tinyurl.com/asgwjb

Is this a bug? Is it an exploit? Will these people get banned 3 months from now? Who knows. Square-Enix certainly doesn't...

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge