Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 2:08PM SgtBaker said

No EVE? Also, I seem to remember Habbo Hotel reporting figures much higher than some of the other games on that list..

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Probably b/c they had no box sales or paid expansions. The report is straight revenue. Not just revenue from subs.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 5:23PM karnisov said

page 6 of the CCP Games investor's newsletter at

"Total revenues in 2007 amounted to USD 37,155,107, compared with USD 26,308,826 for the previous year. This reflects the substantial increase in active subscribers during the period."

There aren't any more recent newsletters to pull data from. EVE is a sci-fi MMO with adults as its target demographic, it doesn't surprise me that its revenue numbers are lower than the other major MMOs. I do think its a higher quality product than the other AAA titles.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2009 12:47AM SgtBaker said

Ah, thanks ethereal.wolf - and I very much agree with both of your comments, lack of box sales and free expansions probably push them down the ladder.

I suppose it might change in March with box sales (but I do hope they still keep releasing free expansion content!)

At the end of the day, yes, being sci-fi and aimed for more mature audiences probably forces EVE to the niché spot.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 4:40PM (Unverified) said

LoL

"no EVE"

They wish....

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:33PM (Unverified) said

The real story here is how quietly successful these RMT based games have been. At least in the West, Blizzard is portrayed as the untouchable juggernaut of the MMO market, the only example of a wildly successful MMO to date. If Runescape though can pull 100-500million in annual revenue, well, I'll be interested to see how the new crop of RMT based MMOs (Free Realms, Runes of Mana, The Agency, etc) will do.