Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 9:51AM (Unverified) said

Man.

I never played Hellgate, but it sounds like it was a game with a good community at least. It's funny how affecting that report was though, reading about a world coming to an end.

I guess it'll happen to all MMORPGs eventually...

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 9:59AM (Unverified) said

I bought this game right at release and I'm sad to see that it has gone. I played a Hunter class. I believe one of the developement goals was to successfully merge the FPS feel Half-Life with Diablo like action. To this I think they were extremely successful. The Hunter was so so much fun to play.

While I'm back playing MMOs like WAR and WoW, the action, especially in PvE, just doesn't compare with the immersion that this mechanic provided. Despite all the other issues with this game, they really got it right making this class work and fun to play.

I hope some developer out there takes notice of how much more "action" there was in this RPG, and can successfully build a true "action"-MMORPG for us in the future.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 10:46AM (Unverified) said

I didn't play Hellgate for too long. Just a couple weeks. But reading that really made me sad. Especially the chat at the end. lol

Posted: Feb 3rd 2009 12:18AM (Unverified) said

The best original IP in MMO's IMO. I'm sort of getting tired of the sequels or franchise adaptations, sad to see something new be ended so soon

Posted: Feb 3rd 2009 6:02AM (Unverified) said

It's sad to see all the great potential going to waste. The game had a solid core concept, but the combination of bad leadership and incredibly stupid business model ended up dooming it. Either one on its own might not have been enough to kill the game.

For example, I remember reading a forum post by the main writer responsible for the story, in which he basically implied that he was drunk while writing the dialogue. Which I don't doubt at all. However, the failure to tell a coherent story could've been fixed later, if they hadn't run out of money because of the business model...

Another thing this game will be remembered by, is of course the incredible amount of hate it generated. A n epicenter of which is/was of course www.flagshipped.com. Personally I could relate to a lot of the stuff they said when the site was published, but it quickly degenerated into a maelstrom of feces-slinging and nonproductive vitriol. As a fine and recent example, a relatively neutral and slightly nostalgic comment I made two days ago on their newspost about HGL's closing is still stuck in their moderation system, while all the ha-has and turd-slinging seems to get through fine.
Interesting to see if the place will explode with all the hatred now that their target is gone, or will it all spill to other forums, like Cryptic's CO ones.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014