Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:12AM (Unverified) said

Wait? So you're saying a gaming blog is making dispariging remarks and unbaised generalizations? I'm shocked.

Seriously though, it's just more shocking b/c it's aimed at the players, rather then the usual ones made at the developers/products. We should just be as dissmissive as devs are when posters/bloggers make insulting and disrespctful posts. BFD, he doesn't know me or how much/little playing MMOs has impacted my life. It just the level of ignorance even established people w/ reputations can have.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:33AM pcgneurotic said

Commentary from business analysts is the very last thing I'm interested in. I've noticed Fargo quoting them more and more in the Gamespy Daily emails over the last year or so, and I've never understood how some 'suit' in a big office somewhere could have anything interesting to say about gaming, other than statistical stuff about numbers.

This storm-in-a-teacup goes to show how irrelevant their opinion is anyway, but also how much we as a community have seemingly absorbed 'the industry analyst' into our daily gaming news routine - which I find just plain weird. "Wedbush Morgan"? Sounds more like really poor Korean F2P 'Engrish' to me!

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:58AM (Unverified) said

The suits in the office pay to make these game so anything they have to say is going to be interesting to the market at large regardless of their expertise in the industry.
(for better or worse)

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 1:45PM pcgneurotic said

Yah, you've got a point there.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:36AM Holgranth said

And I insult "F2p" (With strings attached) games (Nothing is free, your either paying a subcription or paying in sneaky microtransactions) and think that analists need to stop listening to the Media and Dr. Phil who want everyone to think that 99% of all mmo players are addicts living in a basement somwhere.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:40AM Thac0 said

yeah fuck Dr. Phill hes an asshat

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 11:58AM (Unverified) said

F2P are never "free" I wouldn't call them "sneaky" though, they usually have "item mall" pastered all over them. You pretty much know what you are getting into.

Agree on Dr Phil comment.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 12:06PM (Unverified) said

What you easily forget about analysts is that they usually have an agenda of their own. They make these "comments about future aspects" in media fully aware that they are trying to affect the future with their talks. They are the PR spinners for moneymakers. Masses are easily lead.

Also his comment about gamers shows that his attitude toward the matter is arrogant. So I wonder what's in it for him?

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 12:15PM DaBruuzer said

Anyone know his email? I would love if we could all send a few letters his way. LOL

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 12:18PM karnisov said

I do have to say from experience, the mmo addicts are much worse than conventional genre addicts. Think I'm full of it? Spend some time in Puzzle Pirates, get to know some people, especially the ones involved in the big crews/flags. That game is like crack to alot of people. Or perhaps mmos attract people more inclined to addiction. Either way there is an addiction variable involved. Mmos seem to be better at feeding it than most games.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 2:01PM (Unverified) said

I hope those type of analysts do PVP in subscription based MMO's so very much after reading their kind words about players.
And are in an opposite faction to my own in the same battlegroup. >:D

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 4:18PM (Unverified) said

News flash, if this legitimately angers you, and you play MMOs, and when your not playing MMOs, you -read websites- about MMOs...um...

Only stings because it's true.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 7:16PM wjowski said

There's a difference between being a fan of the genre and being an addict. I'd think the 'legitimate anger' being felt here is justified.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 6:02PM Cendres said

Aion isn't F2P Mr. Zenke...

While the articles makes some interesting and good points, they should really look at what online games actually look like. But it's cooler to follow the pack right?

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 7:17PM wjowski said

It's the same thing that happens every time the old is forced to consider the new. Arrogance and condescension.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2009 7:26PM cray said

I think it's a fair attack on the players of MMO, who routinely feel as if they are entitled to insult the industry. Players need to be aware that there is mentality aimed at them. A little bit of guilt goes a long way in changing their perspectives.

I'm a casual gamer, but I could easily be labeled as addict by a non-gamer or even a 'suit'. Harsh, yes but it's merely generalizations that every gamer has to deal with. Playing MMOs is not a healthy activity in this day and age where the society is trying to be health and eco-friendly.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2009 10:35PM oboreruhito said

The omitted context of Pachter's quote: He was comparing MMO gamers to console gamers, and wasn't limiting things to the West. There are addicted, paying gamers in all cultures, but whatever addiction issues the West has pale in comparison to Korea and China, places that arguably generate more MMO income. In fact, after Pachter's quote, the next claim is that better broadband penetration would bring MMO gaming in the West up to the level of Eastern countries.