Posted: Jan 29th 2009 8:07AM Idle said

I play mostly with real life friends. It's fun to be able to play for an evening and then discuss your adventures around the water cooler the next day.

I have met some really great people online, however. I still have a couple of folks that I still keep in touch with from back in my WoW days. I'm sure I'll end up playing with them again at some point.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 8:12AM DaBruuzer said

Actually, I MMO mostly with my wife, who sits right next to me. :)

As for friends, most that I play MMOs with are RL friends that came from being online friends in guilds, as far back as Earth & Beyond, for me. Some have become very good RL friends, making playing MMOs have another, mostly unrecognized, benefit.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 9:03AM (Unverified) said

Everyone i know IRL who played MMOs burnt out before WoTLK was released. I quit WoW to play WAR, and now i only know the guild / forums communities, noone who I've really met IRL.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 9:21AM (Unverified) said

The only MMO where you can have a lot of friends in RL is Wow.

All the others are too niche to have a social spread.

As a matter of fact, most friends I know in RL who play games play Wow and some contact me on a weekly/daily basis in RL.

That's been happening now for the past 3 years and it's ony getting better.

That's another reason btw why Wow could reach out to those millions. RL friends who play the same game. Thousands of discussions you miss out in other games.

Who's interested in you downing a boss in another game or have a beautiful fight? No one knows what you are talking about.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 9:58AM (Unverified) said

I used to play CoH w/ my wife and bro-in-law. But, I got burnt out, while they still enjoy it.

Now, I play w/ a RL life friend... that I meet in CoH in2005 and actually helped me get acumated to MMOs.

He's someone I talk to on the phone and through email, pretty regularly.

Even though I met him online, he a RL friend. I gage it b/c when playing WAR, I often have to correct myself from calling his real name instead of his his avatar name.

Other then that, it's guildies and randoms.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 9:57AM Snow Leopard said

I prefer teaming up with my real life friends over strangers I meet online. Sure, I have fun chatting with the guildies, but I find it weird when people I have never met in real life always want to team up or keep sending me group invites every time I log on. Just seems kind of committal for people I’ve never met face to face and it creeps me out a little. I’ll always lend a helping hand to anyone who’s doing the same quest as me and I’ve joined many a PUG to run instances (even though most of the people in there are incredibly disorganized), but repeatedly meeting the same players over and over again to form some kind of online bond is something I have an aversion to.
Now that two of my friends have come back to the game and my girlfriend has hopped on, I’m pretty much partying exclusively with them. It makes for a much better experience when they are either sitting right next to me or at least understand real life commitments like “sorry guys, I need to leave. My little brother (who you all know) needs a ride.”

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 10:37AM Arkanaloth said

RL friends pretty exclusively. Our entire guild is composed of RL friends.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 10:33AM Jesspiper said

RL here.

1 Fiancee, 1 Brother, and a couple Co-workers all on a regular basis.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 11:11AM (Unverified) said

I was introduced to LOTRO by some RL friends, who started a kinship there. However, they went back to WoW and my current in-game friends are folks from the guild my RL friends set up.

Since then, that guild has merged with another guild, which has then merged with another. There are a few cool people I have met in PUGs too.

RL friends talk nothing but WoW, WoW, WoW >.< ..... I've tried the trial, and just didn't see the fuss about it compared to LOTRO.

In short, MMO buddies ftw :)

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 12:41PM (Unverified) said

None of my RL friends play MMOs anymore and the few MMO friends I had shunned me when they found out I have a mind of my own (groupthink FTL). Honestly, I haven't even played that much since then because MMOs just aren't fun when playing alone.

/emo

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 1:18PM (Unverified) said

The gaming community that I belong to has all kinds of folk. There is a huge mix of real life friends and online only friends. Plus over the last ten years that we've been together we've had several get togethers where online friends have become real life friends.

Posted: Jan 29th 2009 6:28PM (Unverified) said

Started playing WoW with a bunch of RL friends. Had pretty good times, but since I moved from WoW to EVE (which no one dared to take a chance at), I met some nice friendly european/american people which I've had the joy of spending the last couple of months with.

This transition proved to be for the best, since these online friends enjoy the same kind of gameplay I like, while my RL friends had different views on how to play a MMO.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale